Gibson Brands Forums

2014 G-1275 ringing between bridge and claw

TomP

Got a 2014 G-1275. Have been jonesing for one for years and years. Necks are nice, setup was pretty good (thanks 26) but you missed a spot. I'm tuned down 1/2 step. If I play any note between 12-16 frets on B or G string on either neck, I get the strangest sympathetic harmonic sound. It's the associated string behind the bridge ringing like a ring mod into a deep, bright abyss of reverb. The string is in the saddle correctly. Cure?

Welcome. That's a new one on me. But I thought that I'd at least respond, so that you knew someone was out there. I know that with acoustics, with tailpieces, players with harmonic ringing will weave a pipe cleaner through the strings, to dampen them. You might try that and see if it helps. It may isolate the issue. Stay tune, someone much more experienced in these things will be by shortly.

Except for the Floyd Rose equipped, all of my Gibson and Epiphone guitars show it more or less, also from the string portions between nut and tuners. In particular, it is obvious and can be obtrusive through piezo Tune-O-Matic bridges.

Using pipe cleaners as suggested be Tweed, or felt strips for dampening will help.

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if deadening between the bridge and the claw will reduce the sustain. I actually used it to some extent today...picking really hard in that area with my OCD running hot and a little delay made a noticeable but different octave up feeling that was suitable to what I was doing in a jam.

Got a 2014 G-1275. Have been jonesing for one for years and years. Necks are nice, setup was pretty good (thanks 26) but you missed a spot. I'm tuned down 1/2 step. If I play any note between 12-16 frets on B or G string on either neck, I get the strangest sympathetic harmonic sound. It's the associated string behind the bridge ringing like a ring mod into a deep, bright abyss of reverb. The string is in the saddle correctly. Cure?

since you tune to a half step down, you may need to adjust the truss rod and action and actually set the guitar up for that tuning. a string change wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if deadening between the bridge and the claw will reduce the sustain. I actually used it to some extent today...picking really hard in that area with my OCD running hot and a little delay made a noticeable but different octave up feeling that was suitable to what I was doing in a jam.

It won't eat up sustain, rather the opposite.

I'm curious as to whether this occurs tuned to standard pitch.

It will occur just depending on compensation and resulting pitches of the string portions.

since you tune to a half step down, you may need to adjust the truss rod and action and actually set the guitar up for that tuning. a string change wouldn't hurt either.

Agree. Truss rod adjustment should match string gauges and tunings.

I intend to change strings this weekend and will shift the the truss rod on the 6 as needed as I'll be shifting to my 10-52 typical strings. I'm dreading string changes because I finally got the 12 to hold tune with stockers and the proximity of the two sets of tuning gear just looks like a pain in the hand. Separating the octave pairs for stretching wasn't pleasant. Tuned down with stock strings, action measures right close to 6/64 and 4/64...which I agree is odd though a touch higher than I'd like. I didn't put a feeler on it but the capo1 method had no contact at 7th but was pretty close. I tuned it half down out of the box. I have run chromatics all over...that's how I found the resonant harmonic effect but no buzzes. All of that means it would probably be a basket case at E. I hadn't put all that together...perhaps I should rescind my previous statement on the factory setup.

By no means am I a luthier but I also had the tech at the Katy GC check it out just in case he had a tip for the ringing strings...he didn't...he confirmed the setup with that stewmac ruler I've been meaning to buy. He called customer service and they said take it to Pace Guitars which is a good idea ANYWAY but I was hoping for a possible quick fix due to a gig in 2 weeks and I'm betting he has a backlog. After I set it up for the 10-52s, if it's still ringing I'll find an unobtrusive way to deaden those two behind the bridge for the gig.

I ran it again today and am still really happy with how it feels and sounds. My wife has already asked when I'm swapping the pickups which I think is unfair...I've left some of my guitars alone.

Tom

Archived