Gibson Brands Forums

Want to buy Masterbilt EF-500M

meanstreak

awesome thanks!!

My pleasure Mean.

If I was you, I'd call them asap and snag that one up. They say it's in excellent condition and comes with a case.

My gut tells me it might not be there long.

I hope you get it. Truth be told , when I first saw it I even thought for a split greedy second about snagging it but I wouldn't do that knowing how much you want that model and at the end of the day...I like the 1 11/16ths nut width on my DR500MNA and it does all I need for me. :)

That's two sales that GC used gear can thank us personally for!

Yeah, the cliffenstein-lucille guitar-locating tag team can really sniff out those rarely available models!

If I was you' date=' I'd call them asap and snag that one up.[/quote']

Definitely. Like now. Jeez, that's 50 bucks cheaper than the one I got. #-o

Ya the pic looks good, thanks guys I'm ordering it in the morning!

Saw you snagged that EF500M !! That was a good price for it.

I'm guessing you might be thinning out the heard in the near future ?

After all now that you will have 2 EF models with 1 3/4" nut width necks why wouldn't you part with the other DR or AJ's ?

Glad you got the deal done !!

Saw you snagged that EF500M !! That was a good price for it.

I'm guessing you might be thinning out the heard in the near future ?

After all now that you will have 2 EF models with 1 3/4" nut width necks why wouldn't you part with the other DR or AJ's ?

Glad you got the deal done !!

Yep snagged it! I probably should thin it out, but man do I love all these Masterbilts, it'll be tough to do!

Yep snagged it! I probably should thin it out, but man do I love all these Masterbilts, it'll be tough to do!

I can understand that Mean.... it broke my heart to sell off almost my whole inventory of guitars and amps.

But retirement money became more important than an extensive guitar inventory that wasn't being used.

On a great note.... by complete surprise my case showed up today and I wasn't expecting that for at least 3 more weeks at best.

It really is the nicest case I've ever owned for sure.... here are some quick pictures of it with my beloved DR500MNA in it which fits really snug in it. :) the picture quality isn't great because I used my phone camera and my hands shake too much to take a sharp picture. The case with the guitar in it and accessories in the compartment total weight is just 10.5 lbs. A true delight to carry. I have to program the RFID GPS chip yet but my worries about fit are over. They made it just perfect.

20140805_145436_zpsbc75870a.jpg

20140805_1455271_zps4d2c82f7.jpg

20140805_145602_zps3032df35.jpg

20140805_155855_zpsc8f679df.jpg

20140805_155925_zps35390988.jpg

On a great note.... by complete surprise my case showed up today and I wasn't expecting that for at least 3 more weeks at best.

Wow. That's the kind of surprises we like! That's a beauty of a case... and guitar!

Been looking for a while, was moving and in-between ISP's so missed one at guitar center! If you have one or know if one for sale let me know please! I'd consider a possible trade too.

There's two of them listed on Craig's, Austin TX.

WWWEEEELLLLLLL........I'm not exactly super happy about this guitar. Turns out it's a 2nd. I'm not a guitar snob or anything, I just wish they had made that clear in the ad, you know what I mean? There is the typical USED stamp on the back of the headstock and the serial number has been gold-taped over with a new number. It's in very good condition, I can't seem to find anything wrong with it structurally at all. I measured the scale and the nut width and everything checks out. No binding issues and no bracing issues as near as I can tell with my little dental mirror.

If I had to guess I'd say it was marked a 2nd due to a cosmetic flaw, there is an odd line down the middle on the belly on the top. It's a lighter color that almost makes it look like the top was book-matched, but on close inspection it doesn't seem to actually be. The nut and saddle look good, I'll have a closer look tomorrow when I change the strings. It came with new ones but I'm not sure they are the best as it doesn't sound so great at the moment. It's got some buzzing at a couple frets but that's to be expected coming from dry Arizona into super-humid Houston. I'll get some pics and post them tomorrow!

WWWEEEELLLLLLL........I'm not exactly super happy about this guitar. Turns out it's a 2nd. I'm not a guitar snob or anything, I just wish they had made that clear in the ad, you know what I mean? There is the typical USED stamp on the back of the headstock and the serial number has been gold-taped over with a new number. It's in very good condition, I can't seem to find anything wrong with it structurally at all. I measured the scale and the nut width and everything checks out. No binding issues and no bracing issues as near as I can tell with my little dental mirror.

If I had to guess I'd say it was marked a 2nd due to a cosmetic flaw, there is an odd line down the middle on the belly on the top. It's a lighter color that almost makes it look like the top was book-matched, but on close inspection it doesn't seem to actually be. The nut and saddle look good, I'll have a closer look tomorrow when I change the strings. It came with new ones but I'm not sure they are the best as it doesn't sound so great at the moment. It's got some buzzing at a couple frets but that's to be expected coming from dry Arizona into super-humid Houston. I'll get some pics and post them tomorrow!

Mean, I am sorry to hear that the GC in Arizona didn't tell you it was a second or stamped used instrument.

Seems to me that they should have posted that in the website and informed you when you called about it.

Did you call them back and ask why they didn't ?

From what you have described it sounds like it's in a good functioning condition and being used by someone before you I'm sure you expected some signs of use. Your right about the extreme dry conditions of Arizona compared to the humid ones of Texas and a tiny neck relief adjustment will probably fix that issue. That and a set of your favorite proven strings that you use one all your other Masterbilts.

The main concern I would think would be tone and playability. How is the action and feel of the neck ?

After you put your favorite strings on it and make the necessary adjustments I'd like to hear your opinion on the tone.

Do you think maybe... that GC thought by just stating that it was a used instrument on the website they believed they were being fortcoming about it being a second one stamped used ? Not that doing that would be a good business practice but my experience with GC stores has never been all that great.

Looking forward to pictures Mean....

Mean...... you know when I bought my DR500MNA from the Ma & Pa music store in Buffalo, NY I bought it sight unseen.

I didn't know what kind of condition it would be in for sure or if it may have been a second since there are so many of them out there for sale.

To my pleasant surprise mine was an early edition first rate model with the gloss top which I didn't expect. It also played absolutely perfect right out of the box. Except for strings I haven't had to do one single thing to it and believe me, that's a first for me including my ridiculously expensive Martin 000-45.

I am still surprised and grateful for that. Like you, I wouldn't give up my Masterbilt for anything.

Amazed as I am by the way I bonded so incredibly well with an instrument sight unseen and so much less in cost than any other acoustic guitar I have ever owned except for the first Masterbilt I had for a very short time years ago which I probably should have never let go of but that stupid headstock arrogance of mine made me unload it fast and never gave it a chance.

I owe it to this forum and the members like you that influenced me to take that chance to obtain the one I have now and adore so much that I spent stupid money on a case for it :) Not that the case isn't worth the money for the way it's made. :)

Love that guitar!! Does is sound anything like your other EF500? Just debating on if I should buy another EF500 or not.

If I'm being honest it doesn't sound as good as the Rosewood EF-500R. BBBUUUTTTT I've not had time to change the strings or do a proper setup yet. But at the moment it sounds much better when "fingerpicked" or playing riffs than it does when strummed. After I get it setup I'm planning on doing a YouTube video to compare the two of them as well as some others. Just been mad busy lately!

Archived