Gibson Brands Forums

Genuine Gibson or not?

nickhola

Hi!

A guy would sell me this Les Paul.

He sent me this pic..

My question is: is an original Gibson Les Paul?

It has a rosewood fretboard...but there's "Les Paul Custom" written on the headstock...uhmmm

Can you help me?

Nick

post-66678-001660100 1406555385_thumb.jpg

Hello Nick!

Yes, they do exist. They are rare and were made after 2011 exclusively. No precedence of such construction before.

This model was the first ever: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom-Rosewood-Maduro.aspx

But the one You`ve posted is not a genuine Gibson for sure. Stay away from it!

Best wishes... Bence

Clearly a counterfeited guitar.

For several decades, Les Paul Custom guitars came with ebony fretboards. Now they use Richlite, a sythetic formaldehyde-phenolic resin/cellulose compound mimicing the composition of natural ebony.

Despite of the limited resolution of the pic, I clearly see five deviations from everything Gibson ever made.

Hello Nick!

Yes, they do exist. They are rare and were made after 2011 exclusively. No precedence of such construction before.

This model was the first ever: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom-Rosewood-Maduro.aspx

But the one You`ve posted is not a genuine Gibson for sure. Stay away from it!

Best wishes... Bence

Interesting. The model you linked here even bears the rosewood in its product name. I guess it was a limited guitar without notice?

Anyway, there may be lots of factory special request guitars with totally different specs.

@ Nick: However, the guitar you linked is fake - beware! [thumbdn]

Interesting. The model you linked here even bears the rosewood in its product name. I guess it was a limited guitar without notice?

Hello Capmaster!

It wasn't without notice. As I remember, it was quite well-promoted back then, when the ebony-issue started.

I've seen a bunch of Customs with rosewood fingerboard posted by Gibson Custom on the Facebook.

Cheers... Bence

thanks you all!!!

My eyes (and my heart) were allarmed me...

And now you confirm my troubles!!

Still playing with my Genuine Black Beauty!!! Yes!

Thanks a lot!!

Nick

You are welcome!

Cheers... Bence

Hello Capmaster!

It wasn't without notice. As I remember, it was quite well-promoted back then, when the ebony-issue started.

I've seen a bunch of Customs with rosewood fingerboard posted by Gibson Custom on the Facebook.

Cheers... Bence

Hey Bence,

I guess that can be noted, but those are not the (CORRECT) inlays for a custom. Not an expert in calling out fakes, but that was the first thing that set the smoke alarms off.

there are at least 3 other visuals that look dead wrong too,, I refuse to call them out here, people need to educate themselves.

Hello Capmaster!

Cheers... Bence

Sorry, Bence, for having written misconceivable words. I meant "limited without notice". For sure, all models with a model year designation are limited on principal. However, there are limited Gibsons in my arsenal one never found on the Gibson website - limited run "models without notice" so to say, never advertised by Gibson - and some which were "limited without notice", no limited runs but limited editions as far as I know. Think of the 2011 L6S guitars... [rolleyes]

I also concur...not real...the cut away just doesn't look right. Run away...run away fast.

Kaiser Bill

Yes a Bad imitation of the LP.

But it was Custom nonetheless,Custom Chinese.[tongue] It sux.

X

• 6 months later...

Hey folks! I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom Maduro Brown VOS (Rosewood-fretboard). They made them in the year of 2012. Don't know how many thou.

I have the serial number (CS 200714). So guess they maybe made about 999 guitars. If anyone know the exact number, it would be nice to know =). The Gibson support never replies my mail xD.

.. btw, I totally agree to what other people says in this topic. That guitar was clearly a Chinese copy. You can see that on the split diamond inlay (much smaller) and the really bad cutaway xD.

Most people of those who owns real U.S made LP Customs would see that =)

KEEP ON ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD!

Regs!

//Kid

Hey Bence,

I guess that can be noted, but those are not the (CORRECT) inlays for a custom. Not an expert in calling out fakes, but that was the first thing that set the smoke alarms off.

there are at least 3 other visuals that look dead wrong too,, I refuse to call them out here, people need to educate themselves.

So...you want people to educate themselves yet you refuse to simply share that knowledge. Your logic baffles me.

I have the serial number (CS 200714). So guess they maybe made about 999 guitars. ...

Regs!

//Kid

General CS serial numbers don't say anything about the model. The Les Paul guitar of mine with the serial number CS 200174 is not a Les Paul Custom Maduro Brown.

Archived