Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson parts

First post....

I recently got a 1999 ES-175 and the previous owner changed all the chrome parts for gold versions. The pickguard he says is original that he only replaced the side mount for a gold version. Well the pickguard doesn't fit right rubs against the pickups and is slightly bowed because it appears the spacer on the upper pickguard mount is too short. I had a 1961 ES-175 and from what I remember the pickguard was thicker and maybe slightly larger. Also think he didn't do a good job on replacing the pickup covers with gold some strange buzzes from the bridge pickup. So anyone familiar with archtops know there is a lot of rattles and buzzes to get rid of.

So two questions first where can I get Gibson replacement parts like a pickguard assemby for a ES-175, I see only a few parts listed online.

Second is there a Gibson repair location or can someone recommend a good archtop repair person in Los Angeles CA. Lots of repair people who know soild bodies and semi-hollow rock guitars, but need someone that understands archtops they are setup differently.

Thanks

... where can I get Gibson replacement parts like a pickguard assemby for a ES-175, I see only a few parts listed online.

First... welcome to the site.

Gibson will tell you the ONLY parts they sell are those Listed on the "Gibson gear" store page. I'm not sure if a local "high-end" Gibson dealer could do any better. When I was looking for a ebony bridge for my L-5, even though it was standard equipment on their "Lee Ritnour Signature" model, NOBODY I knew, or contacted, could pry one out of Gibson. I had to hand carve it myself.

As I have had to replace the bound pickguards on both my L-5 and L-7, plus pattern cut many beveled-edge pickguards for various guitars, here what I would suggest:

If you would consider an "upgrade" to a multi-bound L-5CES type PG, Allparts sells/distributes a repro that I found to be of superior quality than the Gibson originals. They come without pickup notches, so they have to be custom fit for each application. I don't know if the shape is exactly the same as an 175, but maybe worth checking in to.

http://www.allparts.com/Pickguards-for-Gibson_c_587-3-3.html

If you want to maintain the multiply beveled-edge look of the original, you might consider have one custom cut and fit from blank stock. Again, Allparts sells high quality blank stock. This 5-ply .090" would work perfectly:

http://www.allparts.com/PG-0095-037-Black-Pickguard-Blank_p_2539.html

The front pickguard spacer is nothing but a nylon "bushing" available at most any hardware store.

As you ask for an archtop repair referral in the LA area, I'll assume you're not a do-it-yourself-er, and won't go into the process and "plane geometry" for which it takes to PROPERLY fit an "elevated finger-rest" to an archtop guitar. You may also find that the first problem with the way the existing PG fits (and will also affect the new one) is the pickup rings. As you say they look like poorly installed replacements, this may not only be your PG mounting problem, but also a source of your rattle or buzz problem.

Too bad you're not closer, I love working on high-end archtops. Feel free to PM me (or post here) if you have any other questions or comments.

Thanks, I had a feeling that would be the response about Gibson, just hoping since 175's are still a production guitar. I'll check out the L5 blank that would be nice. I don't repair things but will tinker on small stuff, so I might just file out the pickup openings on the current pickguard and see if I can reduce the buzzing. I might try to resolder the cover on the bridge pickup, it's not vintage so if I mess it up and can just replace it.

Thanks for the advise.

Archived