Gibson Brands Forums

Customized ES-345

Frank Garay

A couple years ago I bought a white Epi 345, gold hardware with the Bigsby, You know the one... Plays awesome but couldn't deal with the Bigsby and the electronics we're in my opinion sub-par all the way around. Well, I had also picked up a Gibson ES-335S (solid body made in the 80's) that was refurbished by Blue Frog guitars. Great guitar, but I just couldn't deal with the solid body (I'm a semi hollow kind of guy). But the electronics in it were amazing. SD JB SH4's, American made 500k pots, and a Black Ice overdrive chip. I nick named the 335s Frankenstein because it was brought back from the dead with new parts by Blue Frog. So I decided to use Frankenstein as the organ donor for the Epi with a few other little mods to create The Bride of Frankenstein.

Here's what she has now:

1. The tuners were replaced with American Kluson Tuners that have an ivory color to the knobs - chrome.

2. The plastic nut was replaced by an ivory nut.

3. The Bigsby was pulled and replaced by a chrome trapeze tailpiece and a chrome roller bridge.

4. The Tone-o-matic switch was removed and replaced with the Black Ice switch that now has a carbon fiber switch plate.

5. The coils splitting SD pickups have had plain chrome covers added and chrome pup rings.

6. The volume and tone knobs have been replaces with small chrome speed knobs.

7. The stereo option is out with a single input jack which also has a carbon fiber jack plate.

8. The Bride of Frankenstein sticker as added under the tailpiece.

Now it plays awesome, looks totally custom and rad as hell, and sounds un-freaking-believable.

post-55890-062256900 1406557408_thumb.jpgpost-55890-026881400 1406557419_thumb.jpgpost-55890-061505900 1406557428_thumb.jpg

Interesting Frank and certainly looks nice.

Here is my "custom" Epi 345 thread:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/112501-my-epiphone-es345-special/page__p__1519938__hl__%2Bepiphone+%2Bes345+%2Bspecial__fromsearch__1#entry1519938

Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the Varitone (ever) but of course it is a matter for personal choice.,

Actually, I think it's pretty cool, (unique for sure) I really like those chrome pickup covers too.

you did a good job Frank

now you need to get an Igor amp to match up with it! Maybe that Peavey in your shop will do!!

/Ray

Actually, I think it's pretty cool, (unique for sure) I really like those chrome pickup covers too.

you did a good job Frank

now you need to get an Igor amp to match up with it! Maybe that Peavey in your shop will do!!

/Ray

Haha Ray, actually that's not my shop or my amp. That's Mike Marino's who did the work for me. But I love the idea of the Igor amp!

Pretty cool!

But I would not have removed the Bigsby.

I hear ya, but I just can't get behind a Bigsby. I didn't buy the guitar because it has a Bigsby, in fact I knew I'd remove it as soon as I got it. But to each his own man! You're right, with a chrome Bigsby it'd still look killer!

I hear ya, but I just can't get behind a Bigsby. I didn't buy the guitar because it has a Bigsby, in fact I knew I'd remove it as soon as I got it. But to each his own man! You're right, with a chrome Bigsby it'd still look killer!

Hey Frank,

My ES-135 came with a similar tail piece, when I installed the bigsby (maybe 6 or 7 years ago now) that axe just took on a whole new tonal character. It sounded good before, but the Bigsby upgrade made a big difference, and the fact that you can add quite bit of expression with them, -- I wasn't sure I'd like them either, but turns out, I dig em.

Archived