Gibson Brands Forums

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Rabs

Having read the 4 books multiple times starting in 1975ish, I was a bit skeptical that the Hobbit being made in to three movies was overkill given the LOTR had only three. But I like'd the first 2 from the Hobbit so far, looking forward to seeing this last one.

I think they have been great.

/Ray

Not seen any of them yet. I'm going to wait until they're all out then have a watchfest!

That's a good plan.

The Desolation of Smaug get's my vote for "Ending to leave you hanging the most"....

Me and my kid kinda just looked at each other and said,,"huh?".

Will see that on the big screen for sure.

Whilst I think the films are excellent pieces of work, I do have some issues with them, in that I believe they trivialise the story's. As an ex teacher, I've seen kid's who have no idea that the whole thing is derived from a series of books, having seen the films, cannot see any point in reading them. I've even met uninformed adults with the same view, one even making comparisons with Harry Potter! It makes me want to cry.

Ian

I hate that c**t Peter Jackson for taking the greatest perfect works of fantasy fiction and trashing them in every way that could possibly F**k them totally and for no good reason. It would not have been any more difficult to render them accurately than to unforgivably alter them to their detriment , given the facilities at his disposal. Pretty , granted , and on occasion visually perfect , but he has ruined them forever for anyone who may have been encouraged to have read the real things , which stand at the pinnacle of inventive literature. Tolkien was above all a master storyteller , and his mastery and elevated station in the field of English Literature is un- equalled and well- deserved. To unforgivably alter what was so perfectly presented defies all logic , and in a series of stories hugely character driven , to toy with those characters is plain stupid. Gimli as a buffoon? Borimir as an angry Viking? Farimir ??? Jesus , how wrong can you get it? All of the stories' real contexts undermined for the sake of.... I don't know and don't understand why. So close and yet so dismally far way. I waited 40 years for this , and can express othing but dis- appointment , when I wanted so much for it to be good , especially when I learned of some of the fantastic casting work , I mean , Cate Blanchett as Galadriel , how perfect? To all of you who admire these films , do yourself a favour oand read the books . Sorry for the rant , but I really , really , adore these works , and marvel every time I periodically refresh myself with them at their perfection. The horror , the love , the joy , the humour . I honestly believe that Jackson just didn't get it . J.R.R.Tolkien constantly revised Lord of the Rings for 25 years , having taken 13 years or more to write , because he realised a moon phase or something of the ilk was incorrect. You don't f**k with that . [cursing] Sorry , I really , REALLY need to swear. Especially at this damn auto correct that I keep having to correct. [smile]

Another thing about the films, and I know this may sound a little petty, but because Peter Jackson is a New Zealander and they were filmed in New Zealand, it seems as though New Zealand have adopted Tolkien's work (there national airline has their aircraft painted to tell you so, etc). When in reality a large proportion of the books were written around where I live, the Ribble Valley here in England, whilst he stayed with his Son, a Jesuit priest and Teacher at Stonyhurst Collage, see here:

http://www.stonyhurst.ac.uk/

It is common knowledge that Tolkien based the Brandy Wine river on the River Ribble along which he loved to walk, about half a mile from the collage, and he also based the Shire on the Ribble Valley with the town of ****heroe at it's centre. J.R.R Tolkien was of course, a Welshman who was "damaged" by what he witnessed during the First World War, which coincidently is about to celebrate it's one hundredth anniversary this coming month, though I'm not sure celebrate is the correct term for such a horrendous event.

Ian

p.s. it seems the censors will not allow me to include the name of my home town, which is quite funny!

I hate that c**t Peter Jackson for taking the greatest perfect works of fantasy fiction and trashing them in every way that could possibly F**k them totally and for no good reason. It would not have been any more difficult to render them accurately than to unforgivably alter them to their detriment , given the facilities at his disposal. Pretty , granted , and on occasion visually perfect , but he has ruined them forever for anyone who may have been encouraged to have read the real things , which stand at the pinnacle of inventive literature. Tolkien was above all a master storyteller , and his mastery and elevated station in the field of English Literature is un- equalled and well- deserved. To unforgivably alter what was so perfectly presented defies all logic , and in a series of stories hugely character driven , to toy with those characters is plain stupid. Gimli as a buffoon? Borimir as an angry Viking? Farimir ??? Jesus , how wrong can you get it? All of the stories' real contexts undermined for the sake of.... I don't know and don't understand why. So close and yet so dismally far way. I waited 40 years for this , and can express othing but dis- appointment , when I wanted so much for it to be good , especially when I learned of some of the fantastic casting work , I mean , Cate Blanchett as Galadriel , how perfect? To all of you who admire these films , do yourself a favour oand read the books . Sorry for the rant , but I really , really , adore these works , and marvel every time I periodically refresh myself with them at their perfection. The horror , the love , the joy , the humour . I honestly believe that Jackson just didn't get it . J.R.R.Tolkien constantly revised Lord of the Rings for 25 years , having taken 13 years or more to write , because he realised a moon phase or something of the ilk was incorrect. You don't f**k with that . [cursing] Sorry , I really , REALLY need to swear. Especially at this damn auto correct that I keep having to correct. [smile]

Your opinion & rant, I respect, now my turn. I've read all four books probably 20 times in my 61 yrs, and I think Jackson did a fantastic job bringing a classic to the screen. No movie is made verbatim from a book, license is always taken. You only have 90 minutes to 2 hrs to tell a story and make the studio a profit.{ yes, it's the evil money thing} Jackson is on record saying he struggled terribly to do the books justice, he would have loved to have made the films just liked the books but then they would be something like 18 hrs each. As for me, I don't see the characters you mentioned in the same light. Gimili was a fighter as all dwarves are, Borimir was a passionate man doing what ever he could to save his country, watch his death scene, a good man trying with his last breath to save the Hobbits. I didn't see any Viking plundering. Farimir was an unloved son trying to win hs father's favor, and only near death did he achieve it. I have watched all the movies many times with my 15 and 20 year nephews, bought the books for both of them and told them to read and learn more about Tolkien and Middle Earth. They were amazed and like me said Jackson brought what we saw in our imagination to the screen. Finally and with utter respect, if you don't like the films, don't watch them.

TC

The Hobbit was the first book I ever read. LOTR was not far after. I think Peter Jackson has made some fantastic movies out of those books. I've seen them all on opening day. I have them all on Blu Ray. I was impressed with the attention to detail that Jackson put into the little things in the LOTR movies such as believeable fight sequences and avoiding impossible camera work just because you could fake it in CGI. When the fellowship runs from the Orcs in the mines of Moria they aren't bouncing all over the screen like ninja penballs. The camera doesn't swoop between Frodos legs while he runs. The bad guys were guy in makeup for the most part. There has been just such a hugely different look and feel between this set of films and LOTR that it's hard for me to get with it. LOTR looked like an epic film from ages past. The Hobbit films look like epi video games from today. I have never been a gamer so it's just lost on me. I have enjoyed the expansion of Lake Town and Goblin Town and such.

Oh... and I will be there on opening day for 5 Armies and I will buy the Blu Ray and I will enjoy *****ing about it. [thumbup][biggrin]

Oh yeah.. theres no denying that these are kids films...

When I watch them and as someone who has designed games, I see a scene and think, man that was put in there purely for the computer game version of the film... and it does annoy me slightly.

But the biggest audience is the kiddy one and that's why they go for that age range... its sad that its all about money when it comes to works that are so close to a lot of peoples hearts but that is the world we live in..

I think Peter Jackson is awesome.. and hes done the best he can.. and probably better than anyone else could do.

And really lets face it the Hobbit is a kids book and far more soft than LOTR and the films mirror that.

I think Peter Jackson is awesome.. and hes done the best he can.. and probably better than anyone else could do.

I agree. I also know that he really didn't want to make the Hobbit movies at all. I think DelToro might have impressed me more but that just wasn't in the cards.

Back at you with respect, Thunderchild! Let me revisit my rabid ravings , and say that , yes , as stand- alone movies they are all magnificent , and without peer in my opinion . However , as representations of the books , they are all abysmal , not because Jackson needed to truncate them to fit the time available to him- that I understand and was expecting. It's the unforgivable alterations to the story and characters that I cannot bear , all the more so for the lack of necessity . The stories are far more than a series of battles , and he has ruined the one shot at getting it right . Mind you , in this era , is any young person ever going to read them anyway? I am now surrounded by people who tell me that they have no need to read the books , they've ( knowing wink) seen the movies . It goes beyond not watching it if you don't like , more to do with the dismay at what could have been ss so much better with no added length or expense , financially or theatrically.

Ps- my number of readings also way up into the 20's or more since my first in '73 [thumbup]

I'm not sure the movies keep folks from reading the books. I was telling a kid I work with about things that were different in the books such as the Scouring of the Shire and it caused him to read the LOTR for the first time. The movies hooked him on the story and he wanted to read more about it.

Nothing they could do could ruin those books for me, I've read them too many times.

Isn't anyone here old enough to remember Bakshi's failed attempt at LOTR? Rankin/Bass butchery of The Hobbit? They didn't ruin them, and that's saying something!

rct

Nothing they could do could ruin those books for me, I've read them too many times.

Isn't anyone here old enough to remember Bakshi's failed attempt at LOTR? Rankin/Bass butchery of The Hobbit? They didn't ruin them, and that's saying something!

rct

That's a good point. I think it might've been the original animated hobbit movie that made me want to read the book in the first place.

That's a good point. I think it might've been the original animated hobbit movie that made me want to read the book in the first place.

Yes, I think they made fans of people. I had read them all* quite a few times by then, and The Hobbit was awful, LOTR was after that and it was not much better and unfinished. But it got my younger brother and a couple of his friends to read them.

rct

*and Silmarillion, Tom Bombadil, and whatever other collections they cranked out before '82 or so.

Archived