Gibson Brands Forums

LP 50s Tribute 2011 vs 2013

Jfreak

Hi all,

I'm searching for a new guitar and found someone who is selling it's 2011 LP 50's Tribute with P90's. He says it is the limited version with the rosewood fretboard. I thought that those limited versions where only made in 2010? The price he aks is the same as a new 2013 version. Should i better buy a new one or is the 2011 version better? Its a Gold top and i like the the transparant back of this model.

Hi JF, and welcome to the forum. If it's any help, I have one of the 60's tribute Les Pauls that I got new in April 2011, the 50's model was produced before the 60's one. The original limited edition models of both guitars can be identified by having a light back, whilst as far as I'm aware, the ones produced since have a dark stained back.

If you need any more info on all things Les Paul, it may be worth your while sending Pippy a PM, I think he knows everything worth knowing about them.

Ian

Hi Ian, thx for the reply. If thats the fact then it is the right version. This one has indeed a nice transparant back. The only question remaining is if i better buy a new one or take this one. At Thomann i see a b-stock version for even less. I,m really new to Gibson guitars. The problem is that there is no shop in my region to test this guitar. The new ones have also a rosewood fretboard i see.

I think the original 50's Tribute's (light back) became sought after when they were released because hurricane Katrina spoiled production (or destroyed them?), but I don't know if that's still the case. I think the new ones are identical with the exception of the colour of the back. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "B stock" because, as far as I know, Gibson don't sell any seconds.

Ian

The B-stock was at Thomann (online shop) The only thing i need to choose between is if i want the light back or not. I really like it so that makes the choise a little easier :). The only thing im missing is the warranty i guess..

Hello!

I am a lucky and happy owner of 2010 Les Paul Studio 50`s Tribute.

These, from the first run, were still called Les Paul Studios. These first models had rosewood fingerboards, natural mahogany necks and bodies, with transparent control cavity covers showing off the Orange Drop capacitors. There are so-called "pre-flood" and "post-flood" models - referring to the disaster that washed the Nashville factory away.

Then, when these run out, came the Studio 60`s Tribute. Same guitar, with thinner neck...

Then...the Darkbacks, Humbucker editions, and the (first) Studio 70`s Tribute with the new rail-type mini-humbuckers and voluted maple necks.

From 2011 the Studio name was gone and they got the new baked maple fingerboard. Next year, they were completely redesigned, and instead of being chambered, they are "modern weight-relieved", which design is also known as "wheel-spoke".

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence, the thing is that on the pictures you can clearly see: made in the USA 2011. But it has a light back and a rosewood fretboard. So they where still made in 2011? I just can see on the pictures if the caps are see-trough or not. It's having the greenish plastic tuners. I just listend to some other recordings with the P90's. I just love that sound!

Interesting...

It looks genuine. It was made on 9th of March, 2011. :-k Might be a 60s Tribute? Would be nice to see the neck from the side.

If You are in Netherland and looking for a new one, it is worth considering Guitarguitar in UK too. I only have good experience with them.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/clearance/?brandname=Gibson

Cheers... Bence

Not sure.

The thing is: Gibson never tells how many limited editions they produce. We can only rely on rumours, unfortunately.

It can be a 50s Tribute, however they are hard to tell apart from the 60s Tributes.

60s Tributes have thinner necks, and they have ceramic caps, instead of the Orange Drops. Ask about that, and the transparent cover too.

LPST50WGCH5.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I am a lucky and happy owner of 2010 Les Paul Studio 50`s Tribute.

These, from the first run, were still called Les Paul Studios. These first models had rosewood fingerboards, natural mahogany necks and bodies, with transparent control cavity covers showing off the Orange Drop capacitors. There are so-called "pre-flood" and "post-flood" models - referring to the disaster that washed the Nashville factory away.

Then, when these run out, came the Studio 60`s Tribute. Same guitar, with thinner neck...

Then...the Darkbacks, Humbucker editions, and the (first) Studio 70`s Tribute with the new rail-type mini-humbuckers and voluted maple necks.

From 2011 the Studio name was gone and they got the new baked maple fingerboard. Next year, they were completely redesigned, and instead of being chambered, they are "modern weight-relieved", which design is also known as "wheel-spoke".

Cheers... Bence

Bence,

just to let you know, mine is one of the original light back 60's Studio models, and that doesn't have a transparent control cavity cover, it has a black one. Maybe it was only the 5o's model which was fitted with that.

Ian

Bence,

just to let you know, mine is one of the original light back 60's Studio models, and that doesn't have a transparent control cavity cover, it has a black one. Maybe it was only the 5o's model which was fitted with that.

Ian

Hello Ian!

Yes, right. That's how they are. Excuse me, if I wasn't accurate enough.

As I have posted above, the OP should ask about that feature.

Cheers... Bence

Archived