Gibson Brands Forums

Juice Box

sellen

So i bought the Juice Box from Surfpup. Great little attenuator for the money. Can highly recommend it [thumbup](for amp's up to 30watt) . Can now use my Bluesbreaker at home without feeling like a jerk. 80$ with shipping and all is a pretty good deal [thumbup]

Tested it today just playing some stuff on the Marshall Bluesbreaker, i put the attenuator level almost to 0 and amp on max. Surfpup recommend it at 10 o clock for best result, but i heard people was outside enjoying themselfe so i woulden't be a nag and put almost max attenuation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwHb94OMrM

So i bought the Juice Box from Surfpup. Great little attenuator for the money. Can highly recommend it [thumbup](for amp's up to 30watt) . Can now use my Bluesbreaker at home without feeling like a jerk. 80$ with shipping and all is a pretty good deal [thumbup]

Tested it today just playing some stuff on the Marshall Bluesbreaker, i put the attenuator level almost to 0 and amp on max. Surfpup recommend it at 10 o clock for best result, but i heard people was outside enjoying themselfe so i woulden't be a nag and put almost max attenuation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwHb94OMrM

great ! mine is soon to be on it's way. really looking forward to getting it.

Cool what amp are you gonna use it at?

I'm getting the 50 watter, gonna use it with my Marshal DSL. try to make it usable. just painfully too loud now. Will probably use it with my Orange head too.

Tested it today just playing some stuff on the Marshall Bluesbreaker...

That sounds great, man. Love the sound of that Bluesbreaker. [thumbup]

I'm getting the 50 watter, gonna use it with my Marshal DSL. try to make it usable. just painfully too loud now. Will probably use it with my Orange head too.

I shipped it out today, so it will be there Thursday. I tried to PM you tracking but I think your box is full - 'twould not allow a new message.

I shipped it out today, so it will be there Thursday. I tried to PM you tracking but I think your box is full - 'twould not allow a new message.

And can I assume mine is on it's way too? ;)

-Ryan

i'll empty it ... thanks !

juice.jpg

just got it this morning. tried it out with my Marshall. Dimed the amp, and dialed it back with the Juice Box. this thing is great. Thanks Surfpup

Damn, I've still got awhile to wait for mine...tracking hasn't budged in 4 days. Glad you're enjoying yours, though!

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan, you're going to really like it. You'll be able to make your Marshall sing without making your ears numb.

Karloff, just wondering...have you had any problems with yours? I got mine today, plugged it in, dimed the amp, dialed it back and within 15 minutes the Juice Box started smoking....turned everything off and unplugged it; the enclosure was scalding hot, and smoke was coming out for another 5 minutes or so after. Perhaps Surf didn't burn this one in long enough...or my amp's too hot for it dimed.

You're using a 50 watt Marshall right?

-Ryan

Just to clarify, this thing sounded incredible, i'm just a bit worried about the smoke and burning temperature. It also worked fine for a few hours at the local guitar store plugged into a Badcat 40R...it got hot, but not This hot and there was no smoke...

-Ryan

Just to clarify, this thing sounded incredible, i'm just a bit worried about the smoke and burning temperature. It also worked fine for a few hours at the local guitar store plugged into a Badcat 40R...it got hot, but not This hot and there was no smoke...

-Ryan

Ryan,

I used it on my Marshall DSL 50. when I first used it, it did get really warm and I could smell the components heating up. I've read Attenuators generate alot of heat, especially the more you ask of them. in reality, when i will use it, i won't dime the Marshall. I just wanted to see what it could do. the next day I used the Juice Box on my Orange 30 Watt. just got a bit warm. I wasn't really pushing it...

I plan on making a little enclosure for the juice box with a cooling fan in the bottom of it, cuz I'm a little obsessive like that, lol.

So think about it like this, the extra energy you are draining off of the speaker has to go somewhere, right? It becomes heat. That's why I drill all those holes - heat dissipation. The lubricant in the components can smell and even smoke at first even though I play each one for an hour, especially if you run it wide open right out of the box. But as Karloff said, the more you attenuate the more heat you generate. Most people shoot for a mild to medium decibel reduction - just getting to the sweet spot. This also keeps your amps tone closest to it's original sound. Diming a stadium sized tube head and attenuating to play at bedroom levels is never going to work well.

So think about it like this, the extra energy you are draining off of the speaker has to go somewhere, right? It becomes heat. That's why I drill all those holes - heat dissipation. The lubricant in the components can smell and even smoke at first even though I play each one for an hour, especially if you run it wide open right out of the box. But as Karloff said, the more you attenuate the more heat you generate. Most people shoot for a mild to medium decibel reduction - just getting to the sweet spot. This also keeps your amps tone closest to it's original sound. Diming a stadium sized tube head and attenuating to play at bedroom levels is never going to work well.

and thats why mine heated up like it did. i wanted to push it to the extreme to see what it was capable of. i turned the head to 10, and the juicebox to 8 or 9 oclock, thats not something i would ask of it in a normal situation. all i smelled were the components heating up, which i expected. and i knew i was pushing it beyond what i would ever need. it doesnt need a fan, the enclosure is well ventilated. i just like little projects sometimes.

Pay attention kids. This is why old grouches like me get all grouchy about attenuators and hitch up their suspenders and stomp off to the back porch for a smoke. We knew we were either going to blow up the PowerSoak or the Marshall, sometimes even both. They made much hay of Eddies rheostat, but it was just as bad and just as dangerous and not something you would want to do regularly, if at all.

But these Tubular boxes are pretty cool, and Mr. Surfpup has accounted for all of those things we hated back then.

rct

Archived