Gibson Brands Forums

Stevie Nicks

xkimo

I dreamt of having a sit down with Stevie Nicks last night.Purely business it was...

Tears ago I had the pleasure of having her along with her friend Alice T.pop into my bar for lunch.

This was in Paradise Valley,a pricey ''burb outside Phoenix.Just down the street from her home actually.

Man,I was absolutely out Jerry Lewis'ed ,Jerry Lewis...I was a total spaz...[tongue]

But what a classy lady.They both saw my total breakdown,Yes, we respected their privacy and

we were able to serve the lunch.

So this morning logging into our site here,on the home page was a blurb concerning her 8th.solo album.

If you Cats could work with just one female singer,WORK now mind you,with whom would it be and why?

X

[thumbup]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great. She is quite the performer and really was an intregal part of Fleetwood Mac.

To answer your question though, "If I could work with one female singer," it would have to be Chrissy Hynde. She can play sing and play guitar and I love her body of work.

She made Fleetwood Mac

And here was I thinking Peter Green made Fleetwood Mac..............[laugh]

As far as the OP?

I'd be completely unable to cope because my choice would be Joni Mitchell and I wouldn't have the first clue what to do - but I'd still love to give it a try.

P.

As far as the OP?

I'd be completely unable to cope because my choice would be Joni Mitchell and I wouldn't have the first clue what to do - but I'd still love to give it a try.

P.

Joni indeed.

Eclectic choice.

I agree Pip,where would one begin ?

X

P.

Yes, have to agree here, he was the man made me listen to Fleetwood mac and then the others came in and made me continue to listen too them, but in my taste they never was so good as when PG was the frontman!

Saw Fleetwood and Stevie was just as I'd imagined. Not my favorite singer, but I respect any singer that isn't a copy of a copy of a copy (and God how many Beyonces and Rhiannas am I going to have to listen to?) I can recognise her vocals in a new song or an old song or anything. That's cool. [thumbup]

I'd love to work with someone like Linda Perry.

She's best known for 4 Non-Blondes and for making music for Pink, Christina Aguilera and so on, but I really like the way she sings.

If Robert Plant had a baby with Janis Joplin...it was Linda Perry.

As far as the OP?

P.

Got to agree with Pippy on this, it's got to be Peter Green. To me the Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks band is a completely different band in sharing the same name, bassist & drummer.

Ian

I recently watched this documentary and gained a whole new RESPECT for Stevie, especially as a person:

http://buy.inyourdreamsmovie.com/

I think it was Lindsey, who saved that band.

The Bob Welch era of Fleetwood Mac was my favorite. Everyone seems to want to skip from Peter to Stevie & Lindsey, and disregard Bob's contribution to starting the Mac on their way to being pop music superstars. The "Bare Trees" album is certainly on short MY list of greatest R&R albums.

Oh, back to the OP. Chic singers,........... wow, too many good ones to pick just one. I think within the "old boys club" of record making, the bar was set much higher for the ladies.

Anyway, my "new" favorite lady jazz singer is Dianne Reeves.

For me it would be Joan Jett. She grew up here on the east coast ( she was actually in the same neighborhood that I grew up in right before she went out west) and has just a cool attitude about music, life , and work. Love her music as well.

That's great. She is quite the performer and really was an intregal part of Fleetwood Mac.

To answer your question though, "If I could work with one female singer," it would have to be Chrissy Hynde. She can play sing and play guitar and I love her body of work.

Ya,I too like Chrissy Hynde.Pair her with Annie Lennox from that genre That would be bangin'.

I recently watched this documentary and gained a whole new RESPECT for Stevie, especially as a person:

http://buy.inyourdreamsmovie.com/

The Bob Welch era of Fleetwood Mac was my favorite. Everyone seems to want to skip from Peter to Stevie & Lindsey, and disregard Bob's contribution to starting the Mac on their way to being pop music superstars. The "Bare Trees" album is certainly on short MY list of greatest R&R albums.

Oh, back to the OP. Chic singers,........... wow, too many good ones to pick just one. I think within the "old boys club" of record making, the bar was set much higher for the ladies.

Anyway, my "new" favorite lady jazz singer is Dianne Reeves.

L5Larry,

I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention B.W.- R.I.P.

"Sentimental Lady"-,Yes his influence was great upon the band.Gone too soon.

By the way,my fave F.W. era too..

X

Kinda rough take for me for two reasons: 1) I'm old and haven't connected to most of the younger set, and 2) I love doing so many kinds of music that I don't know younger pro women (under 50) who have the voice and versatility to do cowboy, country, swing, pop, jazz, blues and rock that I love to do myself.

Linda Ronstadt is pretty young for the health problems she has now, but she's an example of the kind of versatility I'm talking about. Suzy Bogguss could make it happen too, I think, although she's awfully young too - 10 years younger than Ronstadt and I'm older than Linda.

Even Joan Baez, whose urban politics are my polar opposite, is an incredibly talented singer whose range has extended far beyond the folkie-protest stuff she's best known for.

I personally know a girl or two who could manage the range of styles well and might enjoy a duet gig where it's not all one sort of style - and could match those mentioned above.

Okay, I know a lotta young guys are going to suggest that I'm considering a bunch of "old women" who aren't necessarily going to pose in bikinis or less. And they're correct.

The thing is, that if we're talking about playing music with a girl singer/musician, I'd rather have creases in both our faces along with the broader conceptual musical experience. And frankly, I think they were cute far longer than most girls and - listen to the feminine in their voices regardless of style.

Even some "older" girl singers don't seem to have the depth of "book" in their heads. Younger ones lack that depth for obvious reasons. A lotta great girl singers simply lack the voice to do multiple styles. A great example would be some of my favorite "girl" singers, like the late Julie London. Bea Wain who's almost exactly my late mother's age (born in 1917) has a gorgeous voice and marvelous phrasing and is still likely singing to herself at 97 after having a number of #1 tunes in the late 1930s. The late Helen Forrest ditto with several more #1 songs.

Those three, Ella, Billie Holiday, Cher (who's still gorgeous as a "grownup lady" and also younger than I am), may not have the stylistic range for all the different types of music. I dunno. Definitely not Edith Piaf. <grin> Carly Simon is right at my age (a couple months older, actually) and might make it, but I dunno. I do think that some "grownup" country singers are more likely to have the range of potential material than any currently "famous" female singers.

Thing is, again, the girls I'm talking about are people whose musical perspectives were constantly growing whether I'd like them as people or not. I have a hunch I'd get along best with the girls from the swing era both musically and personally.

But I keep thinking of doing a duet on stage like London did with Kessel and Ella did with Joe Pass, Sylvia Tyson did with Ian - except with a much wider book that could range from ... whatever ... as mentioned above.

m

If you Cats could work with just one female singer,WORK now mind you,with whom would it be and why?

For me, it'd have to be Ann Wilson.

She's got it all covered pretty well...ballads - check, dreamy, ethereal, Robert Plant style lyrics & vocals - check, extraordinary control - check. And for straight ahead rock, she can still scream the paint off your car.

Even when I didn't care for some of Heart's musical choices (which was rare), I always loved Ann's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2fJfiddx4

Milod,

Always find your perspectives to be very cerebral,& spot on .

I'll see ya Ella,Billie, Cher and raise ya Etta J.

I just simply enjoy hearing Stevie doing harmony work,then breaking down and leading the crowd.Her little voice just does it for me.

X

For me, it'd have to be Ann Wilson.

She's got it all covered pretty well...ballads - check, dreamy, ethereal, Robert Plant style lyrics & vocals - check, extraordinary control - check. And for straight ahead rock, she can still scream the paint off your car.

Even when I didn't care for some of Heart's musical choices (which was rare), I always loved Ann's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2fJfiddx4

Great choice FF.

X

Archived