Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you guys play Vincent Black Lightning?

flatbaroque

Just noticed a bloke posted a pretty good version of this on the AGF.

So I had a look around and found a couple of good lessons.I'm not sure if the right hand picking will be beyond me at tempo.I'm wondering how long it will take to work up a passable version.

Anyone here play it? Take you long?

Be a nice party piece to nail.

I play another RT song..."God loves a drunk"..not hard guitar wise but pretty funny/dark lyrics.

So I had a look around and found a couple of good lessons.I'm not sure if the right hand picking will be beyond me at tempo.I'm wondering how long it will take to work up a passable version.

I play another RT song..."God loves a drunk"..not hard guitar wise but pretty funny/dark lyrics.

Dabbled with it way back when, didnt get to far. If you are a'gonna do it, best switch over to open G (maybe with the low E to C?).

Could we all agree to not refer to artists by their initials? With so many genres over the long history of music we've lived through it's not always easy to pin down who the hell you're talking about.

I don't miss much about working in the middle of the city, but one thing I DO miss is the little basement record shop near where I worked that had little mini-concerts at lunch time Friday with whoever was going past..

So, I saw Mr T play Black Lightning in the flesh, right there near the records/dvds! Cool!

Another day, I wondered along the city mall thing and I heard Black Lightning blasting out by a 'busker'...Sensational Aust guitarist Jeff Lang promoting out the front of a record shop! Look up his version and weep, FB.

BluesKing777.

I don't miss much about working in the middle of the city, but one thing I DO miss is the little basement record shop near where I worked that had little mini-concerts at lunch time Friday with whoever was going past..

So, I saw Mr T play Black Lightning in the flesh, right there near the records/dvds! Cool!

Another day, I wondered along the city mall thing and I heard Black Lightning blasting out by a 'busker'...Sensational Aust guitarist Jeff Lang promoting out the front of a record shop! Look up his version and weep, FB.

BluesKing777.

Wow BK this guy is GOOD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wirxd8q39-A

Lordy boys- some good playing on these clips!

Good stories BK. These clips could be something to aspire to...hahaha...I think I was happy to find the correct tuning and the main licks..I could probably do some sort of bodgy version with plenty of work...but I'll never be matching Mr T or these better pluckers.

I remain a big Richard Thompson fan. First saw him in 1970 with Fairport and have made it to both electric and acoustic shows in the years that followed. Probably my favorite though were the shows he did at the Bottom Line where he played nothing but requests fro the audience.

But I don't think I know an acoustic player who has not putzed around with that one from time to time from the moment the Rumor and Sigh LP came out.

one thing I DO miss is the little basement record shop near where I worked that had little mini-concerts at lunch time Friday with whoever was going past. So, I saw Mr T play Black Lightning in the flesh, right there near the records/dvds! Cool!.
He must like those kinda gigs --- saw in a similar locale in Cambridge MA back in the day, so sat at his feet while he played a superb 1/2 hour set (Mirror Blue had just come out), including VBL ("Nortons and Indians and Greeveses wont do, cant beat the soul of a Vicnet '52"- not quite as iconic as Stack Lee's Stetson, but getting there).

BBG for sure it's CGDGBE....just the two fatties are downtuned. There are 2 good lessons on youtube as well as a good tab PDF when you google.If you can't find I'll do links later.

The bridge would take ages to master...but the rest is doable after a fashion i reckon...been mucking around with it tonight.

He must like those kinda gigs --- saw in a similar locale in Cambridge MA back in the day, so sat at his feet while he played a superb 1/2 hour .....

It would not be too wild a guess for the shop I went to have 'lifted' the mini-gig idea from Cambridge!

I saw some great acts, but blues players were a bit rare, maybe too early in the day for them!

One of the best guitarists I saw was solo jazz guy Martin Taylor (is that his real name?)

Sorry to derail your thread, FB. The disadvantage of the thumb/one finger picking style I have developed via the Rev and blues players is that picking those rolls like RT plain old doesn't work!

Good luck with the tune...

BluesKing777.

I remember Thompson at one of his shows making a comment that he was proof that you could be a cult figure in music for 40 years and still make a living at it.

Since I tend to hang with geezers (ain't got much choice) most of us got turned on to him as we were big Fairport fans back in the 1960s. We were not happy when he quit that band as he really had just started to come out in front on "Full House." I still have my white label radio promo copy of Thompson's first solo effort "Henry the Human Fly" which a guy who worked at a local radio station gave me knowing I was a fan. If I recall that LP had the reputation of being the worst selling record on the Warner Bros. label at the time. It sold so poorly they did not even release "I Want to See the Bright Lights" in the states. I had to go running around NYC trying to find a record store that would order an import copy in for me.

My favorite Richard Thompson period though remains the mid-1970s when he had Linda, Pegg, Mattacks and Kirkpartrick in the band. Those shows were simply amazing.

He plays with a pick held between finger and thumb and melodies with other fingers. anyone here play like that ?

anyone else got his latest acoustic cd ? The playing on it is out of this world. Valerie guitar is outstanding.

Make ya wanna vomit really

I'm actually listening to the album (Acoustic Classics) right now! Great song selection and performances on this CD. And Valerie has long been one of my favorites.

I'm a huge Richard Thompson fan. I've seen him live a bunch of times, most recently with his Electric Trio, which was brilliant. I hope there'll be a live DVD or CD of some of those shows.

If you haven't heard it, the much older Small Town Romance is also worth seeking out. It's another solo acoustic album, but live. The performances are not as polished as on Acoustic Classics, but still great for its passionate, warts and all qualities.

Red 333

PS Good grief--I just looked it up and saw that Small Town Romance was released THIRTY years ago. Where does the time go?

I always thought a Vincent Black Lightning was a 60's British Motorbike. My dad used to have one, I'd sit on it and play with it in the shed ahs a kid.

Ian

Calling a Vincent a motorbike is like calling a fighter jet a kite. To this day it is the embodiment of everything a motorcycle is and should be. And yes, the Brits made it. I don't know anything about the Black Lightening but I do know a bit about the Black Shadow.

My Father even put a side car on it for a while, until my Mother put her foot down and made him buy a car. She wasn't happy about transporting the whole family (four kids) in a Motor bike and side car. I'm sure it would be illegal nowadays.

Ian

Should you find a CD copy of Small Town Romance, grab it. Or the LP, for that matter. Thompson pulled it from his catalog.

That said, I agree that Acoustic Classics, the latest release, is exactly what I've long wanted from the man. No tricky Mitchell Froom productions (love some arrangements, but not all) or accordion-led jams (not my thing). Just stunning acoustic work and a voice that conveys the emotion with nearly all the songs you'd want him to play.

Great to see Richard Thompson love on this board.

Archived