Gibson Brands Forums

Some New Epiphones Have Nitrocellulose Laquer Finishes

Red 333

Hmmmm, interesting (assuming it's not a misprint)! Now, if they'd just do that to the Sheraton models! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I think it might be a misprint on the Florentine. the aged lacquer finish on the 175 is correct. feels like the same finish that was on the USA Lennon Rev's.

From what I can tell, this new Epi ES-175 model appears to be set apart from the recent $499 version in the following ways:

>Gibson pickups

>One piece neck

>Variety of finishes

To my eye it otherwise appears identical. Same oversize F-holes, which unfortunately part from the graceful lines of original Gibsons, but the natural-bodied version is a nice addition.

The ad copy makes it sound like they're going for a VOS effect in the finish.

From what I can tell, this new Epi ES-175 model appears to be set apart from the recent $499 version in the following ways:

>Gibson pickups

>One piece neck

>Variety of finishes

To my eye it otherwise appears identical. Same oversize F-holes, which unfortunately part from the graceful lines of original Gibsons, but the natural-bodied version is a nice addition.

The ad copy makes it sound like they're going for a VOS effect in the finish.

these are a lot nicer than the $499 version

Finish: Vintage-Inspired, "aged" lacquer

Neck Pickup: Gibson USA '57 Classic Humbucker

Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA '57 Classic Humbucker

these are a lot nicer than the $499 version

Finish: Vintage-Inspired, "aged" lacquer

Neck Pickup: Gibson USA '57 Classic Humbucker

Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA '57 Classic Humbucker

Yes, I did note those changes in my response above, plus what appears to be a one piece neck in the photo of the natural finish version (a significant upgrade, imho).

Interesting that it still comes with no case, which has been included with a number of recent "enhanced" models.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a misprint. This subject came up on MLP and someone contacted Epiphone about it. Epiphone confirmed that all finishes are poly.

Epiphone's site lists the finish on the ES-175 Premium as "laquer."

My link

Since they do not say "nitrocellulose laquer," I'm guessing it's either acrylic or water based.

Waiting for someone to buy one of these and give us a report!

Red 333

Here are TWO new models with NITRO finishes: Elitist 1966 Riviera and Elitist 1964 Texan:

Elitist 1966 Riviera

Elitist 1964 Texan

Red 333

Awesome!!

My wish came true for an Epiphone specific guitar correct for the first time.

Klusons instead of Grovers, right sized F holes, correct adjustable bridge on the Texan, Nitro!!

Says limited edition so not in the regular Elitist line and will not fail this time due to limited numbers produced and I am sure people will buy.

I will be buying one or the other or both.

Thanks for listening Epiphone!!!!!

[-X You're killing me, Red! [scared]

I DO want to know, however, what a "Bloss" finish is, on the Texan?!? [biggrin]

CB

Guess since the specifications say "Gloss" there's no chance left for you to escape I guess. You will have to find out in person. [flapper]

[biggrin]

Guess since the specifications say "Gloss" there's no chance left for you to escape I guess. You will have to find out in person. [flapper]

[biggrin]

I plan to! [biggrin] Just got an e-mail from my dealer, and they're very interested in

looking into both of these new Elitist models. He's going to get back to me, on Monday

with as many specific's, as he can find. Prices, availability, etc. I have NO business

even looking at any more guitars, especially at this particular time. But, insanity tasks

me to! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

After whining that I wish Epiphone would (1) do more semi hollows vs Les Paul models, (2) sell with a hardshell case, and (3) offer nitro finishes, I would be a total jerk not to buy a Riviera. Playing another one of these after having done so in 1967 is like being sent back to my high school years. Just re-evoking those fond memories is worth taking the plunge.

I plan to! [biggrin] Just got an e-mail from my dealer, and they're very interested in

looking into both of these new Elitist models. He's going to get back to me, on Monday

with as many specific's, as he can find. Prices, availability, etc. I have NO business

even looking at any more guitars, especially at this particular time. But, insanity tasks

me to! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

CB - Please get back to us with as many details as possible!

Here are TWO new models with NITRO finishes: Elitist 1966 Riviera and Elitist 1964 Texan:

Elitist 1966 Riviera

Elitist 1964 Texan

Red 333

If anyone checks on the Texan please ask Epipone/Gibson to make sure they do not use the current stock Gibson Ceramic saddle.

My Custom Shop J160E came buzzing no matter how it was set up until a guitar tech friend finally pointed out the Ceramic saddle used, current production or sourced part was rounded on top putting no break angle point.

The saddle needs to be pyramid shaped. I had a spare correct shaped one, swapped to that and problems went away.

The Japanese are building this one so I hope they are anal for the details and do not use the current Gibson sourced part or this will do nothing but buzz and the action will be jacked sky high to try to fix, like mine came back from Gibson under warranty trying to fix it.

Made shaped/correct the Gibson adjustable ceramic bridge causes no issues = buzzing or action.

Epiphone's site lists the finish on the ES-175 Premium as "laquer."

My link

Since they do not say "nitrocellulose laquer," I'm guessing it's either acrylic or water based.

Waiting for someone to buy one of these and give us a report!

Red 333

Yep. I saw that...eventually. However, I doubt its nitro. They specifically state that the two new Elitists are nitrocellulose, but no so for the ES-175. I'm guessing acrylic lacquer as well.

Its funny how Epiphone listens to the demand for different clear finishes, yet releases them without telling anyone or making a big deal out of it. You'd think they would see this as a huge selling point and marketing strategy. :huh:

Archived