Gibson Brands Forums

This is an LP Standard, right? And what's the grade of the top?

Hey, guys!

I just got this new beauty. I was wondering, though, is this a Standard, or a Traditional Plus Top? I've seen TPTs that look nearly identical to the standards, so that is why I ask.

Also, what would you say the grade is of my maple top? AA/AAA/AAAA?

Thanks so much!

Serial Number

Maple Top

Full Guitar

Jeff Les

From the photos myself,I can't tell.

I have a LP Prem. Standard AAAA. The truss rod cover should Specify either Std. or Trad.if a most recent vintage.The ser.# indicates 213 day (July 31 2008 ) If I am correct.

Did the seller include the usual spec/build tags from Gibson? The hang tags etc? Case Candy? Guess not ....

I keep all those goodies always,cars,toasters, Gibson products especially.

Stick 'round though, one of the real in tune instrument gurus' will certainly have the expertise to assist you.

Good luck and good playin'

X

Jeff Les

From the photos myself,I can't tell.

I have a LP Prem. Standard AAAA. The truss rod cover should Specify either Std. or Trad.if a most recent vintage.The ser.# indicates 213 day (July 31 2008 ) If I am correct.

Did the seller include the usual spec/build tags from Gibson? The hang tags etc? Case Candy? Guess not ....

I keep all those goodies always,cars,toasters, Gibson products especially.

Stick 'round though, one of the real in tune instrument gurus' will certainly have the expertise to assist you.

Good luck and good playin'

X

Hey, man!

Yeah, unfortunately he didn't keep the tags and paperwork. I definitely hang on to that stuff, too.

Anyway, how can I contact one of these gurus? Some assistance would be awesome :D

Hey, guys!

I just got this new beauty. I was wondering, though, is this a Standard, or a Traditional Plus Top? I've seen TPTs that look nearly identical to the standards, so that is why I ask.

Also, what would you say the grade is of my maple top? AA/AAA/AAAA?

Thanks so much!

Serial Number

Maple Top

Full Guitar

First, welcome here, Jeff, and congrats on your nice Les Paul guitar! [thumbup]

It looks gorgeous and is nicely pictured, too. [love] But don't worry, since I am a righty I won't try dating her... [biggrin]

No more kidding, now to the facts when referring to the pictures: This guitar seems to be a Les Paul Traditional which in fact is the successor of the "old" Standard since of 2008. Timbers are evaluated before carving and finishing, so the final appearances may vary and not always match the initial expectations. Due to the inconsistencies in flame, in particular on the bass side of the lower bout, accordingly to Gibson's criteria this top would have to be rated AA.

The Standard redesigned in 2008 has a chambered mahogany body featuring an AA maple top, was the first Les Paul featuring an over-long neck tenon, came with locking Nashville bridge and tailpiece, locking Grover machine heads with keystone buttons, a Quick Connector PCB with pots housed in plastic, displayed through a smoky transparent back cover, and a locking Neutrik jack.

In contrary, the Traditional first issued in 2008 stayed with "Kluson-type" tuners, short neck tenon, standard hardware, plastics, and jack, and Traditional Weight Relief until 2012. The most common maple tops were AA grade, too.

To my taste, the top of your Les Paul looks awesome, just the right combination of graining, figuring and burst finish giving a beautiful appearance. [wub]

First, welcome here, Jeff, and congrats on your nice Les Paul guitar! [thumbup]

It looks gorgeous and is nicely pictured, too. [love] But don't worry, since I am a righty I won't try dating her... [biggrin]

No more kidding, now to the facts when referring to the pictures: This guitar seems to be a Les Paul Traditional which in fact is the successor of the "old" Standard since of 2008. Timbers are evaluated before carving and finishing, so the final appearances may vary and not always match the initial expectations. Due to the inconsistencies in flame, in particular on the bass side of the lower bout, accordingly to Gibson's criteria this top would have to be rated AA.

The Standard redesigned in 2008 has a chambered mahogany body featuring an AA maple top, was the first Les Paul featuring an over-long neck tenon, came with locking Nashville bridge and tailpiece, locking Grover machine heads with keystone buttons, a Quick Connector PCB with pots housed in plastic, displayed through a smoky transparent back cover, and a locking Neutrik jack.

In contrary, the Traditional first issued in 2008 stayed with "Kluson-type" tuners, short neck tenon, standard hardware, plastics, and jack, and Traditional Weight Relief until 2012. The most common maple tops were AA grade, too.

To my taste, the top of your Les Paul looks awesome, just the right combination of graining, figuring and burst finish giving a beautiful appearance. [wub]

Thank you so much for the info!

I now have some extra questions, though!

1) The guy that sold it to me is a long-time Gibson guitar player and he said it was indeed a Standard. Even when I asked if it was a Traditional, he still insisted that it was a Standard. I paid $1,700 for it... Did I pay too much?

2) I thought the Traditionals were super heavy! I held a right-handed one and it was incredibly heavy. My guitar, on the contrary, seems to weigh even less than my Epiphone Standard. Is that due to the weight-relief pre 2012?

3) My truss rod cover does not say anything on it. Is that normal for Traditionals?

4) My guitar doesn't have speed knobs, it has the top hat knobs. I thought all Traditionals came with speed knobs!

Thanks for all the info! I guess I am a little disappointed because I paid the price of a used Standard, but don't get me wrong, I still love how this thing looks, feels and plays!

Also, the not dating my guitar part gave me a nice laugh. :D

Thank you so much for the info!

I now have some extra questions, though!

1) The guy that sold it to me is a long-time Gibson guitar player and he said it was indeed a Standard. Even when I asked if it was a Traditional, he still insisted that it was a Standard. I paid $1,700 for it... Did I pay too much?

2) I thought the Traditionals were super heavy! I held a right-handed one and it was incredibly heavy. My guitar, on the contrary, seems to weigh even less than my Epiphone Standard. Is that due to the weight-relief pre 2012?

3) My truss rod cover does not say anything on it. Is that normal for Traditionals?

4) My guitar doesn't have speed knobs, it has the top hat knobs. I thought all Traditionals came with speed knobs!

Thanks for all the info! I guess I am a little disappointed because I paid the price of a used Standard, but don't get me wrong, I still love how this thing looks, feels and plays!

Also, the not dating my guitar part gave me a nice laugh. :D

In the following, I will try to answer your questions in all conscience.

1) In fact, Gibson sometimes continues making models of previous model years, in particular in case of back orders. The opposite is also true, there are limited runs predating forthcoming models with some of their features. So the pre-owner can be right, it might have been a pre-2008 model Standard made in 2008. If the guitar is mint condition, the price is OK I think, and - not funny, but true - left hand models can be more expensive, even as used ones.

2) Timbers may vary in density. There are massive Traditionals 2013 or 2014 which are considerably less weight than some of the Swiss cheese bodied or Modern Weight relieved models.

3) [rolleyes] The truss rod covers on mine also say nothing. Some of my Standards came stock this way, and I switched to blank TRCs on the other ones. I like them keeping quiet! [biggrin][thumbup]

4) Right, Standards usually come with Top Hats stock, Traditionals with Speed Knobs. But as with the TRCs, all of my former "top hat guitars" have Speed Knobs now since I like them, especially for easier pulling push/pull pots with a flatpick in my hand. It also prevents marring finish with the fingernails through supporting pull operations between top and the knob's lower rim.

Hope this helps.

In the following, I will try to answer your questions in all conscience.

1) In fact, Gibson sometimes continues making models of previous model years, in particular in case of back orders. The opposite is also true, there are limited runs predating forthcoming models with some of their features. So the pre-owner can be right, it might have been a pre-2008 model Standard made in 2008. If the guitar is mint condition, the price is OK I think, and - not funny, but true - left hand models can be more expensive, even as used ones.

2) Timbers may vary in density. There are massive Traditionals 2013 or 2014 which are considerably less weight than some of the Swiss cheese bodied or Modern Weight relieved models.

3) [rolleyes] The truss rod covers on mine also say nothing. Some of my Standards came stock this way, and I switched to blank TRCs on the other ones. I like them keeping quiet! [biggrin][thumbup]

4) Right, Standards usually come with Top Hats stock, Traditionals with Speed Knobs. But as with the TRCs, all of my former "top hat guitars" have Speed Knobs now since I like them, especially for easier pulling push/pull pots with a flatpick in my hand. It also prevents marring finish with the fingernails through supporting pull operations between top and the knob's lower rim.

Hope this helps.

Hey man, all great stuff, thank you!

So, is there any way for me to for sure confirm that it's a Traditional or a Standard? Could I possibly contact Gibson? I know I shouldn't really care, but I rely want to find out, and it will sort of tick me off that the guy I bought it from promised it was a Standard!

Thanks again, so much. You've been a tremendous help!

Hey man, all great stuff, thank you!

So, is there any way for me to for sure confirm that it's a Traditional or a Standard? Could I possibly contact Gibson? I know I shouldn't really care, but I rely want to find out, and it will sort of tick me off that the guy I bought it from promised it was a Standard!

Thanks again, so much. You've been a tremendous help!

Yes, that's the way to go. Posting pics and serial number to the Customer Service will help them clearing this up for you. Here's a link to the form: http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson/Talk-2-Us.aspx

Archived