Gibson Brands Forums

new turners for my L-4

powerwagonjohn

My wife bought me a 1952 L-4 archtop last Feb. for my birthday. Yes she is wonderful and does not have a sister! I had new knobs put on the original turners but they still turn rather hard that the knobs are starting to come lose already. What are the best replacement Kluson style turners. I see a couple different brands available. I am not sure which ones Gibson uses on there guitars. The ones on my 2009 L-4CES and my 2009 ES-345 are OK but not quite like the old Grover Rotomatics. Obviously I don't want to do any modifications to the guitar and I don't see the need for locking turners so any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks John

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to do any mods I guess means not drilling any new holes in the headstock (I don't blame you). I am not familiar with where the holes are for the tuners on you guitar so am not sure what might be recommended. Nevertheless I have a new L5 that came with Gibson "modern" tuners which they sell on their website for a reasonable price. They are very solid and seem to work well - probably wouldn't fit your guitar being 60 years odler - but perhaps worth looking into.

I appreciate the response. As I looked closer at my 2009 L-4CES and ES-345 I noticed the turners have nuts on the top side like Grovers, so I have to guess they may not fit on my 1952 L-4 and I don't want to chance taking out the original turners bushings. I did find an unlabeled set of turners in my junk box that seem to work fine. I will put the re-knobbed originals in the case pocket. I am not sure if they can be loosened up or not but I will save them.

Thanks John

Archived