Gibson Brands Forums

Tiger vs Tortoise... which pickguard wins?!

Jjunk

Hi everyone. I'm replacing the pickguard on my L-00 Pro and thought this might make a fun poll. For some reason I just never liked the original dark red tortoise-ish material that Gibson used on these. I've cut two new ones, but can't decide which one I like better! Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. :-k

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Thanks everyone! I was kind of hoping to leave it with no pickguard, but can't quite get over the farmer's tan...

For those curious, these are from the "tortoloid" material blanks available at StewMac.

It is your guitar so my opinion does not amount to a hill of beans.

But if it were me I would pick neither of those two.

I would go more in these directions. Again, just me though.

Here is a late 1930s Gibson version.

gibson-j-35-1939-cons-full-1_zps9d0f136b.jpg

A different take on the firestripe - my mid-1930s Schmidt Galiano Jumbo

0bff31ac-6a37-49a6-81f7-4c4363a28be4_zpse4c6f0e5.jpg

I may be on my own on this one but I have always liked what I got in the habit of calling Dalmatian pickguards. I first saw one on an old Gretsch Folksinger but Martin used something similar in the 1930s. About the closest I can think of is the scratchplate on the Martin Clarence White guitar. I think Greven calls these light tortoise shell guards.

Later: OK, the bottom guard on ZW's post I could love!!

That is the one the repair guy copied when he made a new pickguard for my 1942-J50 (the original was missing and he wanted to go with a firestripe just because he likes them).

I do like a pick guard with character! The last pic in Zomby's post ia a perfect example. I must say, and don't be hatin' on me for this, the most attractive PG I've seen in a while is on my Martin HD-28. A blend of tortoise and firestripe! It just explodes when the light hits it! Have a look!

pickguard_zps8de1f1f3.jpg

guitarjtb - I swear I went to buy this one a couple weeks ago and somebody had snatched it up just before me! Must have been a very similar one... beautiful indeed.

An underlying dilemma: Currently, mine is cut to a radius that covers the sound hole rosette (aligned with the inside diameter). This is how the original Gibson one was, and now I know why... once removed, the craft of the actual rosette kind of sucks. The binding material they used was short by about 1/16" and this less-than-pretty gap was placed at an awkward angle and swept under the rug (or pickguard I should say). I'll never prefer Taylor's or others to my Gibsons, but I really appreciate their attention to detail and how they place these "seams" at a symmetrical angle aligned with the neck instead of attempting to hide them. Sorry... a little OCD there :)

Thanks everyone for sharing, and yes, nothing beats those 80-year-old ones...

guitarjtb - I swear I went to buy this one a couple weeks ago and somebody had snatched it up just before me! Must have been a very similar one... beautiful indeed.

An underlying dilemma: Currently, mine is cut to a radius that covers the sound hole rosette (aligned with the inside diameter). This is how the original Gibson one was, and now I know why... once removed, the craft of the actual rosette kind of sucks. The binding material they used was short by about 1/16" and this less-than-pretty gap was placed at an awkward angle and swept under the rug (or pickguard I should say). I'll never prefer Taylor's or others to my Gibsons, but I really appreciate their attention to detail and how they place these "seams" at a symmetrical angle aligned with the neck instead of attempting to hide them. Sorry... a little OCD there :)

Thanks everyone for sharing, and yes, nothing beats those 80-year-old ones...

Sorry you missed the other one. It went to Pennsylvania. This is another one and is one of the last ones I have, and it has a slight blemish. I need to gear my shop up and make a few more soon. I make mine to fit the outside edge of the rosette, the way they were on the vintage ones.

James

Finished. I trimmed it to the outside of the rosette after all.

Also, I know this is a different topic, but this guitar is about 100x more responsive after removing the element pickup! I had a bone saddle installed previously (with pickup still present) that didn't do much at all, but removing that under saddle strip and having a taller bone saddle made to compensate made this thing truly come to life!

Photo%20Aug%2002%2C%2011%2058%2024%20AM.png

Finished. I trimmed it to the outside of the rosette after all.

Also, I know this is a different topic, but this guitar is about 100x more responsive after removing the element pickup! I had a bone saddle installed previously (with pickup still present) that didn't do much at all, but removing that under saddle strip and having a taller bone saddle made to compensate made this thing truly come to life!

Photo%20Aug%2002%2C%2011%2058%2024%20AM.png

I think it looks great. Good choice. It looks much better in this picture than in the original picture you posted. Congrats.

Saddle fit is very important to the sound.

James

I was the guy who bought James's latest fire stripe pickguard. I bought it for my LG2 AE and its a beauty but I am not quite sure I am going to use it. I do really like the look of no pickguard. Pickguards are so common on Acoustics - it is nice to see some without.

Ken

Archived