Gibson Brands Forums

HELP, need help assessing LPS, custom?

BigAlz1

Good day to you all.

First off like to say great stuff here on the Gibson board. I'm quickly becoming a fan.

Here is my question/problem...

I live here in TN not far from the Gibson Factory, and I have a fellow that works there that had a custom LPS built for him a couple years ago and is wanting to trade me.

Now to be very honest I've never owned or operated a Gibson guitar. So my knowledge of them is very weak.

What he has is a 2011 stamped (he is calling it a 2012) LPS gold top, hand wired, clear back covers for all the access points, solid mahogany body, maple top, mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard, the neck and body back match in color wood finish, very beautiful. Has locking tuners, and special "orange" capacitors all installed at the factory.

How do I price the value of this thing? Do the custom options hurt or help resale of this guitar?

I'd like a ball park estimate of what this guitar should be worth both with and without the upgrades. And it does come with hardshell Gibson case to match.

post-66702-083806900 1406803709_thumb.jpg

post-66702-085460100 1406803725_thumb.jpg

post-66702-042459400 1406803741_thumb.jpg

post-66702-000165400 1406803783_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add, Burstbucker pro pickups from the factory.

It's custom because it's a custom build to his wishes, hand wired, upgraded caps, clear covers, locking tuners, Burstbucker pro pickups, neck matches body, and it's gold top.

I'm trading him 1850.00 worth of camera gear....

Hi.

So maybe I am missing something, the only thing that seems custom is the caps and the tuners (and they aren't really custom, they're just not what LP Standards are usually shipped with). The rest is pretty standard issue stuff,

(The wiring isn't really much of an Value add as anyone with a soldering iron and a bit of know how, can do the same thing in about an hour. same can be said for the tuners to some degree, although you'd have the extra screw holes from the old tuners to deal with)

I'm thinking the only VALUE in the CUSTOM aspect is lost once it leaves his possession, as these were things he specifically desired. if he's pushing it as some sort of custom build to increase resale value, I think he's reaching just a bit.

So the question you need to answer is what's the market for Les Paul Standards (Gold tops) these days. And that is easy to figure out. Check completed listings on Ebay, and see what gold tops are fetching these days. (1850 maybe a bit on the high side, but it's not absurd)

I don't know what camera gear your trading, but if it's stuff you're not using, it's probably worth it for you. The camera gear will depreciate, and quickly!

The Les Paul will hold it's value, In the long run, I think for a straight up trade, you may win here.

I appreciate the reply, the camera gear was bought for resale. I don't have that in it, but that's exactly what I can get out of it..

I was hoping to hear it was closer to retail value at least.

Thought gold top would bring a little more.

Forgot to add, Burstbucker pro pickups from the factory.

It's custom because it's a custom build to his wishes, hand wired, upgraded caps, clear covers, locking tuners, Burstbucker pro pickups, neck matches body, and it's gold top.

I'm trading him 1850.00 worth of camera gear....

Hand wired because there really isn't any other way to do it.

Caps came from this bin instead of that bin.

Clear covers are...well, clear covers.

Locking tuners are just modern day gizmos. You don't need them on any guitar if you know how to put strings on.

Burstbuckers are laying all over the place, wasn't much customization to get those.

Neck matches body is nothing custom.

It's a Gold Top. They aren't exactly scarce at all.

It's a nice Les Paul. It's worth whatever you want to trade for it if you like it and it plays well. Skip all the "Custom" stuff, because if you decide to sell it next year and start all the "Custom" stuff you will just have a guy like me telling you things you don't want to hear.

rct

I appreciate the reply, the camera gear was bought for resale. I don't have that in it, but that's exactly what I can get out of it..

I was hoping to hear it was closer to retail value at least.

it's really not an apples to apples comparison tho is it (camera gear for music gear)?

~ 1800 dollars worth of photo gear and 4 or 5 years down the road (dollar value wise) is going to be half that for resale IF you're lucky.

I had to just about GIVE away my 35mm gear when I wanted to move it last year. (when I got this stuff, it was top end, and at the time big bucks (eg: Canon F1FN for example.. Try getting the investment back on that? ha! not gonna happen)

On the other hand, an investment equaling 1800 dollars for Les Paul. in 5 years, is probably still going to in the ball park resale value wise. Again, to me, it sounds like you're on the winning side of this deal.

Thought gold top would bring a little more.

Nah, Not really, the finishes and tops on Les Paul's that fetch more are the plus and premium plus tops where the grain, (or flame) on the top is clearly visible.

Thanks guys, I play guitar as a hobby, but one of my businesses is buying and resaling camera gear. So it will sell, that's not a factor.

Ok just so I am clear, it's not worth anything more than any other LPS of the same year, in the same condition, correct?

Guest Farnsbarns

Just to be clear because it's only been alluded to so far.... All les Pauls are hand wired.

This is a standard with replacent tuners and caps. Both these mods (and they are mods, certainly there had been desoldering and rewiring done in the cavity) devalue the guitar slightly. It could also be a lesser guitar with a standard trc with that spec.

Bottom line, the guy is choosing his language such to almost misrepresent the thing. I'd walk away now.

Just to be clear because it's only been alluded to so far.... All les Pauls are hand wired.

This is a standard with replacent tuners and caps. Both these mods (and they are mods, certainly there had been desoldering and rewiring done in the cavity) devalue the guitar slightly. It could also be a lesser guitar with a standard trc with that spec.

Bottom line, the guy is choosing his language such to almost misrepresent the thing. I'd walk away now.

Woo woo woo lol.

OK I've left a few things out lol. First he has been nothing but straight forward, I'm the one wanting the guitar to be more lol.

Next, he works for Gibson, all the mods are not mods in the after production way, they were assembled that way in the factory. And they use some kind of circuit board now, you do not get that set up from the factory, unless you know people that work there or work there yourself lol..

He's right, my Studio has the chip board and my Traditional doesn't. Nothing handwired about a chipboard, which I do believe are normally installed in the Standards. The guitar is a nice guitar, if you play it and like it than bargain with him on the price. IF all these "custom upgrades" were done in factory then they have been worked on to the level of quality of any other installation at the Gibson plant, but I don't think they would add value to the guitar at all. As mentioned above, it's only upgrades that you're buddy wanted done to the guitar so it's only custom to him. No harm in checking out the guitar and playing it to get a better idea...

The straight up answer to your question is that it is worth what a used LP Standard is worth. In my neck of the woods (Toronto, Canada) that's about $1500 to $2000. I would trade the camera gear in a heartbeat. The LP will allways be worth at least $1500.....the camera gear...well, you deal in it, so you know how that goes. Cheers!

...he works for Gibson, all the mods are not mods in the after production way, they were assembled that way in the factory. And they use some kind of circuit board now, you do not get that set up from the factory, unless you know people that work there or work there yourself...

With all due respect, BigAlz1, none of that makes much difference to the desirability of the guitar.

It's still just a slightly different spec'd LP Standard Gold Top and, IMO, the regular LPSG-T values will still hold true.

You might also bear in mind that many guitar buyers - and especially Gibson Les Paul buyers - are, by their nature, a conservative lot and any deviation from 'the norm' can be a problem further down the sales-line. To which end it's probably worth repeating what rct mentioned earlier;

"Skip all the "Custom" stuff, because if you decide to sell it next year and start all the "Custom" stuff you will just have a guy like me telling you things you don't want to hear."

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Woo woo woo lol.

OK I've left a few things out lol. First he has been nothing but straight forward, I'm the one wanting the guitar to be more lol.

Next, he works for Gibson, all the mods are not mods in the after production way, they were assembled that way in the factory. And they use some kind of circuit board now, you do not get that set up from the factory, unless you know people that work there or work there yourself lol..

That guitar has had soldering, desoldering and subsequent resoldering done. That is a fact. Easy to see if you have the experience.

I would agree with this is basically a Standard GT. Looking through the completed fleaBay sales, $1500-$1600 seems to be the current fleaBay value, regardless of the caps or tuners. It appears the seller's price is a bit high.

So would you agree it should be worth in the 1800.00 range?

again, if you take the time and search completed or sold listings of "Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Standard" on ebay, (which I just did, took all of 5 minutes) you will see that selling prices range from 1,500 to 1,800 with most of them selling for $1,500 ~ $,1600

so as a few of us have already pointed out, the asking price is a bit high - but it's not ridiculously so.

you're exposure of risk (ex: buy it today, flip it tomorrow) is probably -200 bucks max.

Hello BigAlz,

this guitar has features of Standards and Traditionals as well.

Standard features are the tuners which were stock on Std 2008, and on several Limited Run models, BurstBucker Pro pickups excluding wiring, and the Top Hat knobs.

Traditional feature is the braided and hand-made wiring. Regular Standards since of 2008 have PCBs and are not hand-wired whereas some Limited Run Standards are.

The clear back covers are something special I have never seen before stock.

I think it would be best to ask the Gibson Customer Service for more information. This could be of special importance with respect to the body. In 2011, they made traditional and modern weight relieved as well as chambered ones. There are 2011 Standard production runs predating the 2012 model with the modern weight relief, and there are braided hand-wireds as well as different configurations of switching options. Sending an inquiry with serial number and pictures will help.

I think it would be best to ask the Gibson Customer Service for more information.

I am willing to wager the princely sum of $1 US that they will tell you it is a Goldtop Standard, and nothing else.

rct

Archived