Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Red Spruce Elite

father_of_pearl

It’s a red spruce/ Indian RW version with an LR Baggs Lyric in it.

I played one 2 months ago and it still haunts me, that Gibson tone…

Problem is I’m thinning the herd (well at least I’m trying hard to).

But I caught the AJ bug. I then played 2 other Mystic Rosewood Adi AJs in two different shops. Very good guitars but nothing like the Elite I first played. Plus I don’t care for the psychedelic figures on the back.

Can’t seem to find any review on the « interweb ». So I was wondering if anybody else played an AJ Elite. Is there any major/minor difference with the 2013 Red Spruce AJ? Or did I just play a very good one?

FOP

I have a AJ RS. Absolutely in love with the Adi/Rosewood combo. Phenomenal sound and tone, and the response is fantastic from soft to hard strumming/picking. Friends who've had a play with it have a hard time putting it down. I had an opportunity to play an AJ Elite a few days ago - very similar and I thought the LRB Lyric sounded very good.

BTW, one of my fave dealers (and where I purchased my AJ RS) has 4 AJ Elites with video/sound samples here - http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/gibson/slope_shoulder.htm

Thanks gentlemen for the input. Of course I've already watched those videos dozens of times these last days. But Greg Koch can make any guitar sound great...

OWF, I too found the Elite had peculiar high end trebles, different from the other AJs I played or any Gibson at all. Hence my interrogation about any structural difference.

BK, the Adi/RW is definitely a great combo, always wished my HD28V had an Adi top.

The AJ bracing combined with the long scale and the slope shoulders is something very special, unique, but still with a strong Gibson voice.

I wish Gibson made another run of Red Spruce AJs with the straight grained Rosewood and without any electronics...

here ya go - even a video of guitar god Greg Koch playing it.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/10384022.php?CategoryID=432&n=34

Love the choice of woods and the tone oh my goodness, such a rich full tone. So many guitars are really only good on one end of the spectrum but it really shines well in the lows mids, strummed, picked, just awesome.

Archived