Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer 76' L.E. Orig. Pickups <> TarBacks or T Tops??

wolfman2020

I just got a 1976 Limited Edition Explorer and I can't find any information on what pickups came in it originally, It has a set of some type of rail style pickups in it now and I would like to restore it back to the way it came from Gibson. I have found lots of info on the wood but not much else. If anyone has any links on this guitar I would appreciate anything I can get. Thanks WM

post-2342-090291400 1406911216_thumb.jpg

496R ceramic magnet humbucker and 500T ceramic magnet humbucker, according to this page:

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/guitars/explorer.html

No, I believe that's the 76 reissue. My 79 has gold plated hardware and tarback pups. There is another guy on this forum I believe who said his 76 also has the same set up. Most of the 70's Explorers and flying V's all had pick up covers on them. I don't remember seeing the covers removed until the 80s probably.

9413699991_db586e89af_o.jpg

I just got a 1976 Limited Edition Explorer and I can't find any information on what pickups came in it originally, It has a set of some type of rail style pickups in it now and I would like to restore it back to the way it came from Gibson. I have found lots of info on the wood but not much else. If anyone has any links on this guitar I would appreciate anything I can get. Thanks WM

We need more pics, use photobucket and post links here. Your pic is miniscule.

• 3 months later...

My '76 has Bill Lawrence Super Humbuckers aka "tarbacks"

Gallery

Specifications:

Inductance 4.7 Henries

Resonant Peak 5.8 Khz

DC resistance 7.8 K ohms (at 1000 cps)

Impedance High

Two Active upper coils

One Ceramtic Magnet (indox 7)

Adjustable pole pieces

Removeable pickup cover

2 point height adjustment

My '76 has Bill Lawrence Super Humbuckers aka "tarbacks"

Gallery

Specifications:

Inductance 4.7 Henries

Resonant Peak 5.8 Khz

DC resistance 7.8 K ohms (at 1000 cps)

Impedance High

Two Active upper coils

One Ceramtic Magnet (indox 7)

Adjustable pole pieces

Removeable pickup cover

2 point height adjustment

Nice! My Tarbacks just died. The bridge pup was fine a few months ago, the neck pup was reading low. The other day the bridge pup resistance dropped to almost nothing. I put a set of old Shaw's I had that read about 6.5 but they didn't have enough punch. Just put in a set of 59 tributes that sound better. A 57/57+ combo might even be better. They all have chrome covered though.

Archived