Gibson Brands Forums

SG string gague change

neil fraser

Hi. I have an SG standard tuned to E flat, currently with 10-52 gague strings. If I changed the gague to 10-46 would I need to get my guitar set-up again or would it be ok not to. I'm used to playing with a Floyd Rose where I know a setup would be needed! Cheers, Neil

Cap is right - if the tension of the strings varies significantly.

I'm not sure what sort of hybrid strings you're using. The 52 sounds a lot heavier than a standard set.

There's also a matter of different tension in different string brands at times.

So... in theory Cap is "right on." In practice, I'd recommend making your change, whatever it might be for strings/tuning, and then let it be for a couple of days to determine if you need change in your setup. That gives the neck/setup/intonation a chance to adjust itself to a different string tension.

Frequently I've found that I didn't need to make much change at all for relatively minor changes of strings/gauge on my own guitars, but each instrument is different. Frankly I've had more problem with change of summer to winter than even upping string gauge or changing tuning a bit.

m

• 2 weeks later...

I came in to ask the same question. I decided to treat the fret board and change the strings on my 2014 SG Special. It had the stock Gibson Bright Wire 9's on it (have read they put 9's on their SGs and Les Pauls since 2013) and now it seems the intonation is slightly off. If I, for example, strum an Open A and D it sounds okay. But further down on the neck they are out of tune. And I am thinking because of the heavier gauge of the strings it may bowed the neck slightly more? I have a set of 9's I can put on it. Just wanted to get some input before I take off the 10's and re-string it. I know nothing about adjusting the truss rod. I need to get a book and educate myself on some basic Luthier fundamentals.

Thanks

Greg

Intonation "usually" is more a matter of setting the bridge. That's why it's adjustable.

You don't mention any other playability problems, so... It's most likely a matter of adjusting the bridge.

Look at the bridge and the little screws on it. That's how one adjusts for intonation.

m

Intonation "usually" is more a matter of setting the bridge. That's why it's adjustable.

You don't mention any other playability problems, so... It's most likely a matter of adjusting the bridge.

Look at the bridge and the little screws on it. That's how one adjusts for intonation.

m

I understand. I will give it a try this evening. I hate messing with the setup. One little change and it seems to affect a variety of others.

I came in to ask the same question. I decided to treat the fret board and change the strings on my 2014 SG Special. It had the stock Gibson Bright Wire 9's on it (have read they put 9's on their SGs and Les Pauls since 2013) and now it seems the intonation is slightly off. If I, for example, strum an Open A and D it sounds okay. But further down on the neck they are out of tune. And I am thinking because of the heavier gauge of the strings it may bowed the neck slightly more? I have a set of 9's I can put on it. Just wanted to get some input before I take off the 10's and re-string it. I know nothing about adjusting the truss rod. I need to get a book and educate myself on some basic Luthier fundamentals.

Thanks

Greg

To my experience, they put extra light top/medium light bottom string sets on most new axes. These should read .009 - .011 - .016 - .026 - .036 - .046. In case you put on the normally balanced set .010 - .013 - .016 - .026 - .036 - .046, only E1st and B2nd would be different. So for the truss rod nut a small fraction of a turn clockwise should do.

SG mahogany necks usually react very fast to string tension, and a neck adjustment just a few minutes after restringing and tuning up makes sense. This is not the case for intonation adjustments - they may "wander" for several days. Appropriate neck relief and string action should be obtained first, followed by pickup adjustment and leaving the strings three days alone for adaption to the magnetic fields. (Fender single coil pickups call for up to ten days here.) Then a correct intonation setting should be possible.

If strings have to be adjusted longer, the portion bent over the bridge saddle will end up within the vibrating scale length, and their settings may need readjustment after the next restringing. In general, wound strings may vary slightly, even those by the best manufacturers, and so may call for certain corrections.

Archived