Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Memphis 1964 ES-345

Rob Mackillop

I ordered a Gibson BB King 65th Anniversary model through my local Gibson dealer, but was a bit disappointed when I got to play it. Playing Blues, I slide my fingers around a lot and bend quite far, and I just felt the Richlite fingerboard was preventing me from doing that smoothly, as smoothly as I had been used to doing. So, after a big sigh, I looked up and saw this beautiful new 1964 ES-345 reissue, and thought I'd give it a try. I'm very glad I did.

I can't see it on the Gibson site (they do seem slow in updating their site) but here are some images and spec: My link

The pickups are described as MHS, which I imagine is Memphis Historic Series - is that right? They remind me of old PAFs. At the same settings, the guitar was a little quieter than the Lucille model, but there was more subtlety to the sound, to my ears at least. I fell in love...

The slim-ish neck was a dream to play. Everything about the guitar appeared to be beautifully balanced. But...it suddenly cut out. No sound at all. I asked the store guy to give me a new lead cable, but still no sound. Then it came on again, then cut out again. The guy said their Tech would look at it Monday morning - today - and I'll either have it ready for me to pick up today or tomorrow, or they will order another one for me. It sounded like some dust got into the electronics, so should be easily fixed. I've been gassing for it all weekend.

I'll keep you posted. I might make a video of it sometime this week.

post-66765-060372000 1407134177_thumb.jpg

Yes, they are brilliant guitars. When I saw they had put out a 1959 ES345 Reissue I just had to get one (barely afford it) and I'm very glad I did.

The MHS (Memphis Historic Specification - I understand) unpotted pickups are superb. Indeed, the whole guitar is quite superb.

In time I may have the frets levelled out a bit (they are just a tad too high for my taste) and I will replace the black pickguard with a tortoiseshell (already have it)as I prefer tortoiseshell pickguards.

PS: By the way Rob, I love your Mickey Baker lessons on Youtube. Give us more, more, more! And very pleased to see a man of your eminence on here!

Got the guitar at home now. It's excellent. We've been having a "getting to know you" day. The annoying thing is that it has shown how poor my little practice amps are, so I'm starting saving for something worthy of the instrument. Lots of options there to try out.

The neck is great - I can get around on it with ease. The pickups are beautifully subtle, with an overall warmth. The nitro cellulose might take a bit of getting used to, never having had experience of it before. It has a definite smell, which I'm sure will disappear in time, and the back of the neck feels a little sticky, but hopefully that will settle too.

Overall, the vibe is quite special. I really feel I have a quality instrument in my hands.

The tech guy at the store said he really cleaned out the innards, which were a little untidy, repaired a dry solder, and gave it a thorough set up. Having played it for a few hours, I think he set the action a little low - it's OK for jazz playing, but for blues I need a bit more room to manipulate the strings a bit more. Easily fixed, though.

The strings - stock - are a bit rough to the touch, so I'll be auditioning a few sets. Once I've got it all set up to my preferences, I'll make a video.

So far I'm very, very pleased.

A similar experience to me Rob including the strange smell. I haven't got a "sticky neck" although I daresay the neck of my guitar is probably stouter than yours. Nevertheless, my '59 neck is supremely comfortable I must say.

I presume the stock fitted strings are Gibson strings - I tend to prefer Ernie Ball Cobalt but I got a good deal on a few sets of Ernie Ball Slinky 9's so I am using those at the moment.

The MHS pickups are undoubtedly rather special - marvellous might be a better word.

As for amps - well, therein lies a tale or two. I started with a Selmer 30watt valve amp which never gave a hint of trouble but because of bad stories I moved to solid state and stayed there for years. It has only been comparatively recently that I have gone back to valve and me being me I had to go the whole hog so now it has to be complete valve train right through including the rectifier so as to satisfy my lust for the magical "tone".

Aye, Cherish that "New Gibby" aromatherapy=smell, as long as ye can, laddy! [biggrin]

We're not sure, exactly, what it is (combination of "Nitro" paint, polish, and some

think maybe(?) the glue aroma, from the case??? But (most) like it, to varying degrees!

Kind of a Vanilla, and/or Almond, fragrance.[thumbup]

Anyway, congratulations, on your new "baby!" I'm envious, as (I've mentioned before) that's

one of my "Bucket List" guitars! I'm sure you'll love it, even more, as time goes on!

Cheers,

CB

Well, Charlie, the aroma has pretty much gone, but the vibe remains as strong as ever. Not yet got a good amp. I have the small Yamaha THR5, and a small Marshall transistor amp. Mambo amps are sending me a trial amp, which they send to anyone interested - have a look at their site:

http://www.mambo-amp.co.uk

It's used by jazz players, but the maker himself uses it for blues. I have a Jetter Red pedal for a little overdrive - I'm not a fan of heavy distortion. So within a week from now I should know if it's the amp for me, or whether to go for a valve amp. We shall see.

I've adjusted the action again after putting on a new set of 9s, for lots of bending. I can do that now, but preferred the thicker tone of the 10s. I'm on the hunt for a bendy set of 10s. I might have to man-up, and get used to bending heavier strings. I'm more a blues-jazz player than a jazz-blues one, if you see what I mean.

I'll make a video with the Mambo when it arrives. They're a UK company, pretty much unknown in the States, but their website tells you most of what you need to know. Looking forward to getting hold of it.

Cheers, Charlie. Thanks for the interest! What are you playing?

Well, Charlie, the aroma has pretty much gone, but the vibe remains as strong as ever. Not yet got a good amp. I have the small Yamaha THR5, and a small Marshall transistor amp. Mambo amps are sending me a trial amp, which they send to anyone interested - have a look at their site:

http://www.mambo-amp.co.uk

It's used by jazz players, but the maker himself uses it for blues. I have a Jetter Red pedal for a little overdrive - I'm not a fan of heavy distortion. So within a week from now I should know if it's the amp for me, or whether to go for a valve amp. We shall see.

I've adjusted the action again after putting on a new set of 9s, for lots of bending. I can do that now, but preferred the thicker tone of the 10s. I'm on the hunt for a bendy set of 10s. I might have to man-up, and get used to bending heavier strings. I'm more a blues-jazz player than a jazz-blues one, if you see what I mean.

I'll make a video with the Mambo when it arrives. They're a UK company, pretty much unknown in the States, but their website tells you most of what you need to know. Looking forward to getting hold of it.

Cheers, Charlie. Thanks for the interest! What are you playing?

Hi Rob, I play (mostly) a '61 SG, or variety, or a Telecaster. But, I do own a Gibson "Lucille,"

and a AIUSA Epiphone Sheraton (Nitro finish, mini-humbuckers), as well as many other Gibby's, some

Fender's (my first electric guitar, which I still own, is a 1964 "L" series Strat), Some Ric's, and

a couple of Gretsch's as well. (TOO many guitars, not enough time, for all![crying]) But, I love

them all, for their own style, sound, and playing. A lot of them, I've had for years, or even decades.

But, my SG's are all newer ones. The last SG (prior to recent purchases) I owned, was 42 years ago! [tongue]

When, I stopped playing, altogether...due to needing to make a living, and being (somewhat)

"Burned out," on the direction music seemed to be heading (Disco), at that time. So, I sold all my

gear, bought Nikon's and Hasselblads," and did commerical photography, for 30+ years. Went to see a

movie (Almost Famous), one night...and got the "bug" to play again, BIG TIME! Who knows why? It was

like someone switched on a light, though. I went out, the next day, and bought my 2000 Gibson Les Paul

Classic, and haven't looked back, since.

Probably more information than you asked for, or (maybe?) wanted to know...but, there it is! [biggrin]

Regarding strings...you might try some (Hybrid) 9-46 strings! They have the lighter high E & B, but...

the heavier (more normal, for 10's) G,D,A,E! D'Addario makes a good set, as do other manufacturers.

Just a suggestion... [smile]

Cheers,

CB

Interesting overview of your life there, Charlie. I guess disco killed off many guitarists at the time. Nice collection of guitars you have too, but one could never have too many...

Good to know you were a photographer, as that is a hobby of mine: http://imagesrm.com - though I'd be useless as a commercial photographer.

Anyway, enough chit chat, I have some playing to do :)

Interesting overview of your life there, Charlie. I guess disco killed off many guitarists at the time. Nice collection of guitars you have too, but one could never have too many...

Good to know you were a photographer, as that is a hobby of mine: http://imagesrm.com - though I'd be useless as a commercial photographer.

Anyway, enough chit chat, I have some playing to do :)

FUN STUFF, your photography! I like it!! [thumbup]

As to "too many" gutiars...only in the sense that I can't play them all, as much as I'd

like to. I'd have to be Cloned, to do that! [biggrin]

CB

Hi Rob and welcome... [thumbup]

Thankyou for a very interesting post and topic in general...

The Mambo does seem worth checking out...a mini beast indeed...!!

Strings-wise here's another [thumbup] for the 'light top, heavy bottom' approach

And just a mention of the love for Roland Cubes shown hereon by some jazz players and others...I have used 2 Cube 30's in stereo with much enjoyment... [biggrin]

Can't beat a nice woody archtop tone...

Enjoy

V

:-({|=

Aye, Cherish that "New Gibby" aromatherapy=smell, as long as ye can, laddy! [biggrin]

We're not sure, exactly, what it is (combination of "Nitro" paint, polish, and some

think maybe(?) the glue aroma, from the case??? But (most) like it, to varying degrees!

Kind of a Vanilla, and/or Almond, fragrance.[thumbup]

Whatever it is, it is a bloody odd smell CB! [biggrin]

Mine is gradually going - nowhere near as strong as at first.

Archived