Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Golden Axe....with neck/body paint seam

RyanQ3L

I just bought this guitar (used) and had it shipped to me via UPS. I opened the case and it looks flawless. I did notice however a distinct line around where the neck is joined to the body. I picked the guitar up and the black body paint just chipped around the base of the neck in my hand. Was this from heat because it shipped? I've done some research and some people blame the nitro cracking. I just don't feel a quality made guitar should be doing this. It's one thing if it 30 years old, but this guitar is less than a year old.

It sounds and plays fine but I can't say I feel comfortable with a noticeable line around the base of the neck.

Are there ways to fix this? Should I call Gibson? Let a luthier to retouch it?

post-66560-097390100 1407173503_thumb.jpg

post-66560-068045000 1407173515_thumb.jpg

I have the same guitar and mine doesn't have that issue. That crack isn't a nitro check, it's totally down to the wood underneath and looks like that joint has expanded or separated where the neck is glued to the body. I don't know what you got the guitar for but a quality repair isn't going to be cheap, plus I would think that problem may get worse now that the paint has started to chip off. I had an Ace Frehley signature with a very slight nitro check along the headstock binding. When I bought it it was about 1/4" long and wasn't a big deal but over the years it continually spread to a length of about 3". I contacted Gibson to see how much to finish the headstock and they wanted $400.00. I also contacted them about refinishing the front of a 2006 Explorer and they wanted $1000.00 for a complete refinish.

If that damage wasn't advertised I would be sending that guitar back, who knows what will happen with a repair and/or if that problem will get worse or come back after a repair. There will always be mint ones popping up on eBay here and there, you just have to keep an eye out.

Almost looks like glue on the back of the neck joint in the pic. Either way, it's damaged, may have been in the shipping. Send it back if you can.

I wouldn't even attempt a repair, plus you're going to have to pay for it and it's not going to be cheap. If you bought it on eBay and that damage wasn't described arrange a return through their resolution department and you'll be covered 100% for the original cost and shipping. If you did buy it from eBay and have never returned a high dollar item contact me for some info. I went through a similar situation with a Gibson Explorer and there are some steps you MUST take before returning it.

So this was a craigslist purchase, so the seller is now out of the story. This wasn't acquired via ebay. After a few friends looked at the damage, everyone seems to think this happened in shipping. The music store that helped ship the guitar for the seller also verified it was in perfect condition when it left their shop.

This is just so unfortunate. It's a hard to find guitar, it plays great and looks beautiful. It had shipping insurance so I guess that's the only angle I have now—to get refunded for the purchase.

This is just so unfortunate. It's a hard to find guitar, it plays great and looks beautiful. It had shipping insurance so I guess that's the only angle I have now—to get refunded for the purchase.

That won't happen. Enjoy it, it's yours now.

rct

Hate to see that, after seeing the pic, I just looked at mine. No issues with it. Hope you get it resolved, did you have shipping insurance?

I do have shipping insurance. I'm going thru that process now. Ugggggh.

Archived