Gibson Brands Forums

Epi DR500MCE plek'd?

ronedee

Hi, I'm purchasing a used 2013 DR500MCE /VS with no apparent history, and wondering if anyone knows if the entire '13 crop were Plek'd?

Mine is a factory first/new, with an early serial number. Thanks, Ron

I'm not 100% sure but I think they may have started that mid 2013. the seller may be able to tell you if there was a "Plek'd" sticker on the truss rod cover when they got it. or you may be able to get some info out of Customer Service.

Hi, I'm purchasing a used 2013 DR500MCE /VS with no apparent history, and wondering if anyone knows if the entire '13 crop were Plek'd?

Mine is a factory first/new, with an early serial number. Thanks, Ron

From what I understand being PLEK"D is a bonus especially if you didn't pay for it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they may have started that mid 2013. the seller may be able to tell you if there was a "Plek'd" sticker on the truss rod cover when they got it. or you may be able to get some info out of Customer Service.

Thanks! I did contact CS. Hopefully I'll get a rely before my infant daughter is in college!

I ask customer service if my DR500MCE 2011 was plek'd and if not would they know of where in Canada could I find this service. They said it was not plek'd (which I thought it wasn't)did not know of any place in Canada to have it done and also said plek'ing may or may not make it play or sound any better,if I liked the way it played to leave it alone. I love how this one I have plays and the sound gets better every day. Lots of little flaws in the finish and I know everyone that's what makes it my guitar. Been playing off and on for fifty years lots of different brands over that time but will be a DR500MCE player now till I can't plunk the thing no more. Find one" YOU" like play and have fun that what make great guitar players. Just my take on it. Mik

I ask customer service if my DR500MCE 2011 was plek'd and if not would they know of where in Canada could I find this service. They said it was not plek'd (which I thought it wasn't)did not know of any place in Canada to have it done and also said plek'ing may or may not make it play or sound any better,if I liked the way it played to leave it alone. I love how this one I have plays and the sound gets better every day. Lots of little flaws in the finish and I know everyone that's what makes it my guitar. Been playing off and on for fifty years lots of different brands over that time but will be a DR500MCE player now till I can't plunk the thing no more. Find one" YOU" like play and have fun that what make great guitar players. Just my take on it. Mik

Point well made! ...You said......"Been playing off and on for fifty years lots of different brands over that time but will be a DR500MCE player now till I can't plunk the thing no more. Find one" YOU" like play and have fun that what make great guitar players. Just my take on it." And i agree that if people really REALLY comprehended just how wonderful this Masterbilt DR500MCE plays and sounds for just $599, they would probably go out and buy 4 of them for $2400! .....Instead of paying that for just one Martin or Taylor. Because the sound and tone of the DR500MCE is better than both of those...and in burst...it looks 10 times better too. Your one of the smart ones! Keep playing it. I really LOVE>>>LOVE>>>LOVE my DR500MCE...and I too have played and owned them ALL.

Point well made! ...You said......"Been playing off and on for fifty years lots of different brands over that time but will be a DR500MCE player now till I can't plunk the thing no more. Find one" YOU" like play and have fun that what make great guitar players. Just my take on it." And i agree that if people really REALLY comprehended just how wonderful this Masterbilt DR500MCE plays and sounds for just $599, they would probably go out and buy 4 of them for $2400! .....Instead of paying that for just one Martin or Taylor.

What if the one YOU like to play is a $2400 Martin or Taylor or Gibson? How can you rationalize making these two conflicting statements?

Red 333

The point I was trying to make is to find a guitar "YOU" like then go play and have fun. I know I found the one I want flaws and all. Like I said I know every flaw on it that's what makes it mine. Guitar Light is right though hard to beat the price for what you get great guitar. Mik

What if the one YOU like to play is a $2400 Martin or Taylor or Gibson? How can you rationalize making these two conflicting statements?

Red 333

[/quote

Honestly, I see no conflicting statements here. Just saying that those who don't mind paying, and playing, the $2400 Martins and Taylors are certainly free as always to do so. They are good guitars for sure. They are not usually for me with the exception of my Gibson Hummingbird and an pricy RainSong graphite...both exquisite guitars...did I actually NEED to spend all that money to get good toned guitar?...ABSOLUTELY NOT.

My expensive guitars produce lots of tone, but not too much more than any Masterbilt I've ever owned for between $400 to $600. And I've owned at least 5 of both Martin and Taylor and Gibson. Some may feel it necessary to pay out thousands and thousands of dollars to get a good sounding guitar, and I understand that, let them do it by all means!

.....others do not believe this is necessarily true, let them freely state it! This is America..... Mik expressed how happy he was with his $599 DR500MCE, I had to agree with him as mine sounds almost as good as my $3100 Gibson hummingbird...maybe a hair less? .....But as those prices splitting hairs is well worth it! To each his own!

But as a rule. like many others have discovered, my Masterbilts get played more because they, for the most part, play and sound better....better even....yes..than my own Gibson Hummingbird....and believe me, I hate to have to say that! Nothing seems to match the tone of my Masterbilts. The Hummingbird is loved, but semi- retired, and all my other expensive guitars I have sold off. ...Why? One word...MASTERBILT.

As far as a neck that's been Plek'd goes... I have had instruments that were Plek'd and not. If one that played perfect the way it was, it was then as good as any Plek'd neck I've ever played.

I mean long before CNC Plek machines were invented there have always been flawless playing necks out there.

That's not to say that if an imperfect playing neck could be corrected using this method then by all means if the guitar is worth the investment, then do it.

Most of the time good old fashioned leveling, dressing and polishing by hand done by a very good repairman gets the job done by my experience.

But that's me

my humble opinion on the tone & playability topic is..........

I have a 5000.00 Martin Custom shop 000-45. Is it beautiful sounding, playing and looking ?

You bet it is.

Every player has his or her own conception of what is the best playing and sounding instrument no matter what the price is. That's the beauty of it all.

Since I got my Epiphone DR500MNA my Martin has been retired to it's display cabinet.

Because to me..... MY DR500 has a more comfortable playing neck and the tone is so close to the Martin that I am satisfied enough with it to retire the Martin. Granted one is made of Brazy rosewood and red spruce and the other is stika spruce and mahogany so there is an obvious sound difference.... but to my ears... the Masterbilt pleases me more.

So in the end... the Martin is an investment my daughter can cash in on in years to come and the Masterbilt is my everyday player that gives me everything I could want in a good songwriting tool and performance instrument.

That's my two cents on this

oh by the way.... my daughter just read this post and reminded me and corrected me on what I paid for the Martin, it wasn't 5 grand it was 11,000. Leave it up to her to know how much I paid, she doesn't miss a single thing when it comes to my spending since I retired :) See folks that's what happens when you get so old that dementia sets in. Then you can't not only remember how much you paid for something, you can't even remember how many guitars you have even owned and I truly have no idea but she says it's a whole lot. :( Getting old sucks !!!!!!!!!

Archived