Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

Ed K

I recently purchased a new 335 cherry satin finish. Love the guitar, it plays fabulous and really has a rich tone. Upon oiling the neck, I noticed that there is a hairline crack in the nut near the high e string. It looks like a shallow crack and, to my ear, has no effect on the tone. Now the choice: these nuts are cut with machines at the factory and the set up is really good on this guitar. Would you have a tech at guitar center (where I bought it) replace the nut and file it by hand, and risk screwing it up? Or, would you leave it alone since it doesn't seem to effect the sound at all?

Hello Ed, and welcome here.

On principal this should be a warranty case. However, if you have any doubts about having it done at your dealer's work shop, you may stay with the cracked one as long as it works. Of course, a nut breaking on stage is an awkward thing. This happened to a pal with a then brand-new Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III. He had some more guitars with him luckily, and they started the song anew.

Since my dealer has a PLEK machine, I had several nuts replaced there, including some on warranty. There is at least one forumite who has a new one mounted as part of the deal when buying a new guitar (yes, I mean you, CB [biggrin] )

If it was me, I'd avoid having it replaced at Guitar Center. That's taking a chance. I would find a well respected local luthier and have them replace it for you. It's not a very expensive proposition but it's critical to do it right to make sure it still plays well after it's done.

On principal this should be a warranty case. However, if you have any doubts about having it done at your dealer's work shop, you may stay with the cracked one as long as it works. Of course, a nut breaking on stage is an awkward thing. This happened to a pal with a then brand-new Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III. He had some more guitars with him luckily, and they started the song anew.

Since my dealer has a PLEK machine, I had several nuts replaced there, including some on warranty. There is at least one forumite who has a new one mounted as part of the deal when buying a new guitar (yes, I mean you, CB [biggrin] )

That's very true, Capmaster...I do have a bone nut put in, to replace the stock "Corian" one.

I've never regretted it! [biggrin]

If I were in your current situation, Ed...I'd definitely have the nut replaced, with a bone nut,

by a good Luthier. And, not at Guitar Center, unless you know the tech, and know him to

be quite good!

CB

+1

Thank you all for the replies. I sent a pic to Gibson and they said it looks like a finish crack, just keep playing it.

Ed

As for the evaluation, it is a finish crack indeed. But about treating this, ...

I'd call Gibson direct, have them issue an RA number & UPS label to you. Ship it to them & have them do the repair.

Good luck,

Lars

... I am completely with Lars.

This type of crack around the nut is a frequently seen finish issue on Gibsons out of Memphis, along with hairline finish cracks at the fret ends. Gibson's warranty specifically excludes finish issues. You can try calling them, but I highly doubt that this will be covered.

The good news is, it in no way impacts the structural integrity of your guitar.

It looks to me like the crack was caused my smacking the guitar against something. The impact point is where the finish is busted apart right below the binding in line with the front of the nut. That's not covered under the warranty if you did it. If the guitar was bought new in that condition then you should be able to return it as defective. It's either defective or abused, one or the other. If Gibson doesn't agree, have them call me. [laugh]

Thank you all for the replies. I sent a pic to Gibson and they said it looks like a finish crack, just keep playing it.

Ed

Ask to speak to their superior & go up the chain of command until they agree to take care of it. It is obviously not a Finish issue it has to do with the structure of a Component of the Guitar. It is not a correct Nut. It is cracked. Plain & simple. They need to step up & take care of it.

For the Price of these Guitars it is absolutely unacceptable IMO.

Good luck,

Lars

Thought it would be good to expand a bit on my previous post, as we have some very different opinions being expressed here about what's going on with this guitar. As I mentioned above, at first glance it appears to be displaying the frequently seen finish crack at the base of the nut (just below the white portion of the nut). There is generally nothing structural about this and it's a simple finish crack. That's what I thought you were originally referring to. But upon a second and closer look, I would like to note the following:

>The previously mentioned divot in the wood below the nut would most likely be the initial source of the cracked finish adjacent to it.

>What is apparently being referred to as a crack in the nut, more likely is also a finish issue, and could be related to the divot below the nut. I didn't initially even consider this as anything but a finish issue, because the coloration below the "crack" is different. If it were truly a crack, the color should not change completely below that point. The side of the nut is often finished on Gibsons, and it appears that a sizable chunk of the finish is gone.

>There are many other marks around this area of the guitar that would indicate it has been handled with questionable care, and dare I say roughly. Aside from the divot below the nut, there is a cut/divot in the fretboard binding in front of the nut, and multiple areas of marring on the peghead veneer north of the nut.

If indeed the guitar was purchased new (with a warranty) by the OP in this condition, the guitar was not carefully handled by the store/patron/previous owner, because it literally is a mess in this region. If it were mine, I would return it for an exchange. The pursuit of a warranty claim is probably going to go nowhere because, again, there is most likely still no structural damage due to a factory flaw in construction.

Still, there's always the chance that my armchair internet assessment based on one photo is off base, so if the OP truly believes there was faulty construction resulting in structural damage, here's what I would recommend, based on personal experience:

> Look up the authorized Gibson repair person closest to you. Take the guitar to him/her to be assessed first hand. If they see anything that may be covered under warranty, they will contact Gibson to look at the options. I have gone down this road myself, with the end result being that Gibson asked me to ship the instrument to Nashville, and it eventually was replaced. But your local repairperson needs to confirm that the damage is worthy of a warranty claim, and then go to bat for you.

Yeah, I'm with Bob on the fact that there's no real structural damage. The crack on the nut looks like it is just in the finish. But the guitar looks like it was abused in the shop. Your best route might be to get the shop to exchange it. But it is surprising how Gibson Customer Service tends to take responsibility for this kind of stuff, even if it's supposedly not covered. Gibson CS has a great reputation.

Thought it would be good to expand a bit on my previous post, as we have some very different opinions being expressed here about what's going on with this guitar. As I mentioned above, at first glance it appears to be displaying the frequently seen finish crack at the base of the nut (just below the white portion of the nut). There is generally nothing structural about this and it's a simple finish crack. That's what I thought you were originally referring to. But upon a second and closer look, I would like to note the following:

>The previously mentioned divot in the wood below the nut would most likely be the initial source of the cracked finish adjacent to it.

>What is apparently being referred to as a crack in the nut, more likely is also a finish issue, and could be related to the divot below the nut. I didn't initially even consider this as anything but a finish issue, because the coloration below the "crack" is different. If it were truly a crack, the color should not change completely below that point. The side of the nut is often finished on Gibsons, and it appears that a sizable chunk of the finish is gone.

>There are many other marks around this area of the guitar that would indicate it has been handled with questionable care, and dare I say roughly. Aside from the divot below the nut, there is a cut/divot in the fretboard binding in front of the nut, and multiple areas of marring on the peghead veneer north of the nut.

If indeed the guitar was purchased new (with a warranty) by the OP in this condition, the guitar was not carefully handled by the store/patron/previous owner, because it literally is a mess in this region. If it were mine, I would return it for an exchange. The pursuit of a warranty claim is probably going to go nowhere because, again, there is most likely still no structural damage due to a factory flaw in construction.

Still, there's always the chance that my armchair internet assessment based on one photo is off base, so if the OP truly believes there was faulty construction resulting in structural damage, here's what I would recommend, based on personal experience:

> Look up the authorized Gibson repair person closest to you. Take the guitar to him/her to be assessed first hand. If they see anything that may be covered under warranty, they will contact Gibson to look at the options. I have gone down this road myself, with the end result being that Gibson asked me to ship the instrument to Nashville, and it eventually was replaced. But your local repairperson needs to confirm that the damage is worthy of a warranty claim, and then go to bat for you.

+1

Note; Gibson's Warranty applies only to new Guitars & Original Buyer.

Lars

Thanks for all of the input. The reason I am not now pursuing a replacement guitar or some type of repair is that the guitar plays fabulous, sounds fabulous and I am reluctant to have someone mess with it or to get a different guitar that I don't like as much.

Ed

Thanks for all of the input. The reason I am not now pursuing a replacement guitar or some type of repair is that the guitar plays fabulous, sounds fabulous and I am reluctant to have someone mess with it or to get a different guitar that I don't like as much.

Totally reasonable.

Enjoy!

Archived