Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ500M Back in production again?

GuitarLight

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The legendary Masterbilt AJ500M will be available 8/15/2014 ...that according to Guitar Center AND Musicians Friend $499 see links below. ...Order now!...says MF and GC and you won't get billed till they arrive! Hope it's true! I LOVE my AJ500M!

http://www.guitarcen...028-i1275121.gc

http://www.musicians...acoustic-guitar

I think these may be old stock from Epiphone.

Epiphone has begun production on the Masterbilt AJ-45. Why is it so hard to believe they would revive the AJ-500M, too?

Red 333

I'm not saying they haven't revived it but I have yet to see the AJ-45 either...we'll see. there have been plenty of "pending" guitars that never made it to production.

Thx for the heads up. I foolishly passed on one of these a few years ago because I wanted a Rosewood, not Mahogoany body, but couldn't find one. Next thing I know, they're out of production. Bummer. Just placed my order w/GC and am looking forward to getting this thing. For the money, they are a thing of beauty IMHO.

Thx for the heads up. I foolishly passed on one of these a few years ago because I wanted a Rosewood, not Mahogoany body, but couldn't find one. Next thing I know, they're out of production. Bummer. Just placed my order w/GC and am looking forward to getting this thing. For the money, they are a thing of beauty IMHO.

Dennis, that's great news! I have both AJ Masterbilts..the rosewood and the mahogany.....the mahogany AJ500M now being sold is by far my preference for solid., thick, lush room filling tone. Mine really sounded great with new strings and a simple neck truss adjust. Let us know how it works out for you and congratulations on your new Masterbilt!

Dennis, that's great news! I have both AJ Masterbilts..the rosewood and the mahogany.....the mahogany AJ500M now being sold is by far my preference for solid., thick, lush room filling tone. Mine really sounded great with new strings and a simple neck truss adjust. Let us know how it works out for you and congratulations on your new Masterbilt!

Thx for the comparison info. I got my order confirmation yesterday, and my backorder notice today LOL. Hey, at least I'm in line!

This is pretty big news. The Elitist Texan is apparently being resurrected.

But - I can't find it on the USA Epi site. Is this from another site?

Regardless, a little historical info:

The first Elitist Texan version lasted a few years prior the release of the McCartney '64 Texan, which if I recall correctly was available from 2005 to at least 2008. Both of these previous high end models were made by Terada in Japan, and I'm assuming this new Elitist will be, too. The first Elitist Texan had a poly finish, while the McCartney Texan had a nitro finish, and there were a number of other differences. This new version is listed as having a nitro finish, and appears to have a lot in common with the McCartney version, but I've noticed a number of minor changes in the photo.

I happened to have an '05 McCartney Texan, and it's an extremely well built instrument, which truly captures the '60s Gibson look, tone, and feel. Assuming this new one will also benefit from Terada's high standards, it would definitely be a guitar worth checking out.

This is pretty big news. The Elitist Texan is apparently being resurrected.

But - I can't find it on the USA Epi site. Is this from another site?

Regardless, a little historical info:

The first Elitist Texan version lasted a few years prior the release of the McCartney '64 Texan, which if I recall correctly was available from 2005 to at least 2008. Both of these previous high end models were made by Terada in Japan, and I'm assuming this new Elitist will be, too. The first Elitist Texan had a poly finish, while the McCartney Texan had a nitro finish, and there were a number of other differences. This new version is listed as having a nitro finish, and appears to have a lot in common with the McCartney version, but I've noticed a number of minor changes in the photo.

I happened to have an '05 McCartney Texan, and it's an extremely well built instrument, which truly captures the '60s Gibson look, tone, and feel. Assuming this new one will also benefit from Terada's high standards, it would definitely be a guitar worth checking out.

It's weird. I looked at the product page this morning and saw it listed and then again later and it was gone. I have a feeling they were getting the website ready but not actually posting it.

the difference is the link you posted is from 2005

The 2005 Elitist had individual Grover tuners. The one in the link is outfitted more like the McCartney Texan, with strip Gotohs. But, unlike the McCartney Texan (but like the 2005-era Elitist), this headstock has no bevel.

The 2005-era Elitist was not called "1964" either--it was the "1965 Texan"-- the McCartney model was called "1964."

The color is also different. The 2005-era Elitist was natural. The one in the picture looks like it has an aged toner (antique natural), like the McCartney. The specs say it has a nitro finish, like the McCartney. The 2005-era Elitist had a poly finish.

OH--the specs say this one has a CERAMIC saddle! Even the McCartney (and the 2005 Elitist) had Tusq. That's big. there's a certain ping that you can only get from ceramic, and they are hard to come by.

This looks like a very close cousin of the McCartney Texan, with one minor inaccuracy (missing bevel) but one added historicl feature, the ceramic saddle.

Nice job, Epiphone!

The 2005 Elitist had individual Grover tuners. The one in the link is outfitted more like the McCartney Texan, with strip Gotohs. But, unlike the McCartney Texan (but like the 2005-era Elitist), this headstock has no bevel.

The 2005-era Elitist was not called "1964" either--it was the "1965 Texan"-- the McCartney model was called "1964."

The color is also different. The 2005-era Elitist was natural. The one in the picture looks like it has an aged toner (antique natural), like the McCartney. The specs say it has a nitro finish, like the McCartney. The 2005-era Elitist had a poly finish.

OH--the specs say this one has a CERAMIC saddle! Even the McCartney (and the 2005 Elitist) had Tusq. That's big. there's a certain ping that you can only get from ceramic, and they are hard to come by.

Red - Another change: This new version has two pearl dots on the bridge, which neither the earlier Elitist or the McCartney had. Also, the script logo has been changed to the style Epi is currently using on many of their instruments. One other thought: I believe the original Elitist Texan was released in '03, and was pretty much done by '05 (probably to coincide with the release of the new McCartney Texan). If you happen to know the exact dates of production on the first Elitist, I'd enjoy knowing.

As for the McCartney version, I know you also have this model, and I'm always amazed at how good it is. Mine was made in '05. This new Elitist appears to draw much more from the McCartney, including the pickguard color & two-hole TRC (three-hole TRC on the first Elitist), as well as the tuners, aged top, & nitro finish you mentioned.

And Btw, I happen to have two of those original ceramic saddles from the '60s, one of which will be going on a '66 Cortez that came with the rosewood saddle. They really do have a cool sound!

Red - Another change: This new version has two pearl dots on the bridge, which neither the earlier Elitist or the McCartney had. Also, the script logo has been changed to the style Epi is currently using on many of their instruments. One other thought: I believe the original Elitist Texan was released in '03, and was pretty much done by '05 (probably to coincide with the release of the new McCartney Texan). If you happen to know the exact dates of production on the first Elitist, I'd enjoy knowing.

You've got good eyes to spot those dots!

I wonder what's up with that? McCartney's Texan doesn't have them (though I think his has a plastic bridge), and his is a '64. I've seen some 1964 (the year) Texans with them, but some without. It seems like all the later ones (1966 and up) have dots, though. Gibson used to bolt bridges to the soundboard and hide them with the dots, but I don't know when that ended, so maybe the dots on the originals served that purpose (though I think the adjustable saddle mechanism itself bolts the bridge to the soundhole.

No matter, it's good to have another way to distinguish this new "1964 Texan" from a McCartney Texan (the logo, as you pointed out; the dots; the bevel) so maybe fewer unscrupulous people will try to pass them off as McCartney models.

I'm not positive, but I think the rossette on the Elitist was different from the McCartney. I'm too lazy to go up the stairs right now and look (I have each).

I think you are right on the dates or the Elite/Elitist manufacturer. I was using 2005-era because someone posted that the link was from 2005, so I was using "2005-era" to indicate the original run of Elitists.

TOTALLY agree about the Elitist Texan and Elitist McCartney Texan quality. Superbly crafted, and great sounding. I'm very excited about some of the models Epiphone is coming out with lately, like this, the ES-175 Premium (which Epiphone lists as having some kind of laquer finish!), the Masterbilt AJ-45, and the return of the AJ-500.

Things are really looking good in Epi Acousticville.

Red 333

Archived