Gibson Brands Forums

EB3?

Kelvinator

I've been looking for a decent '71 or newer EB3L. This has been on eBay for quite a while, and I think I know why. This didn't start life as an EB3. See if you can figure out what it was converted from.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19eda534b0

I sent a message to Warpdrive Music last week to tell them what this is, but no reply yet and they have not changed the listing. If someone buys this as an EB3 and figures out what it actually is, they will be p!$ed. Not a bad job, but only worth about half of what they're asking.

I can't tell what it was originally, but I've never seen the neck pup so far from the end of the neck. Being an owner of a true 60's EB-0 it just doesn't look right! You seem to be in the know, please share?

I poked around the internet and here's what I found, looks like a converted EB-4, that's the ONLY SG body that had the humbucker almost mid-body. Somebody did a make-over and added the bridge pup. What a crock o shite! Caveat Emptor! The unknowing buyer on Ebay will be sorely disappointed when they find out.

John

I can't tell what it was originally, but I've never seen the neck pup so far from the end of the neck. Being an owner of a true 60's EB-0 it just doesn't look right! You seem to be in the know, please share?

I poked around the internet and here's what I found, looks like a converted EB-4, that's the ONLY SG body that had the humbucker almost mid-body. Somebody did a make-over and added the bridge pup. What a crock o shite! Caveat Emptor! The unknowing buyer on Ebay will be sorely disappointed when they find out.

John

You get a gold star John! It was definitely an EB4. That screw hole by the vol pot was from the EB4 choke switch-plate. if you look closely, you'll see where the switch-plate rout was filled. The bridge pup is too close to the bridge and it has a plastic plate under the bridge pup ring, which is probably hiding a larger rout from a previous pup. Whoever did the conversion did a good job, but it is what it is...

Here's an EB4: http://images.guitar...09636953_el.jpg

I can't tell what it was originally, but I've never seen the neck pup so far from the end of the neck.

Just for reference, I had a 100% straight '76 EB-3, though I had to repaint the pickup switch cover. They did move the neck pickup down in later years.

Just for reference, I had a 100% straight '76 EB-3, though I had to repaint the pickup switch cover. They did move the neck pickup down in later years.

Yep, and that's one of the reasons I want one, but it has to be a '72 or newer "L".

The bass in the listing is a Long scale, and a '72 or newer. The '71 split headstock did have the bridge pup moved back, and the neck pup was right at the neck (1st version). The '72+ models had a lot of changes that really improved the tone: solid headstock, 3 pc maple neck, the mudbucker was moved away from the neck, and the bridge pup was moved closer to the neck (about the same place as a short scale EB3). The bridge is back farther than a short scale EB3 putting more distance between the bridge and the pup.

Check out Fly Guitars description: http://www.flyguitar...1972-EB3L-1.php While you're there, look at the EB4L and you'll see what I'm talking about as far as the conversion goes.

Yep, and that's one of the reasons I want one, but it has to be a '72 or newer "L".

The bass in the listing is a Long scale, and a '72 or newer. The '71 split headstock did have the bridge pup moved back, and the neck pup was right at the neck (1st version). The '72+ models had a lot of changes that really improved the tone: solid headstock, 3 pc maple neck, the mudbucker was moved away from the neck, and the bridge pup was moved closer to the neck (about the same place as a short scale EB3). The bridge is back farther than a short scale EB3 putting more distance between the bridge and the pup.

Check out Fly Guitars description: http://www.flyguitar...1972-EB3L-1.php While you're there, look at the EB4L and you'll see what I'm talking about as far as the conversion goes.

I see the conversion you mean.

I had that '76 for a number of years. In my formative years a buddy had a 60's EB-0, so as I moved on and was influenced by Jack Bruce I grabbed this. Unfortunately I didn't have a couple of Marshall stacks to better highlight its tonal qualities.

For a while I dropped a DiMarzio Model One in there, but then it got too cleaned up. Lost its character. Back went the mudbucker. Though it's always fun to play a short scale it wound up on the block. It had a 2-point bridge that was a bear to get set up and only one usable tone (for me).

But it was always a cool look to pull out - not many around.

I see the conversion you mean.

I had that '76 for a number of years. In my formative years a buddy had a 60's EB-0, so as I moved on and was influenced by Jack Bruce I grabbed this. Unfortunately I didn't have a couple of Marshall stacks to better highlight its tonal qualities.

For a while I dropped a DiMarzio Model One in there, but then it got too cleaned up. Lost its character. Back went the mudbucker. Though it's always fun to play a short scale it wound up on the block. It had a 2-point bridge that was a bear to get set up and only one usable tone (for me).

But it was always a cool look to pull out - not many around.

I feel the same way about my SG - one trick pony. After playing my buddy's EB3L, I have to have one. The maple neck, the pup placement, and the long scale really makes for a great sounding and versatile bass. I've given up trying to get his away from him, so it's doomed to the closet for another decade. I've seen some nice ones out there, but due to some family medical problems, I haven't had any extra cash.

msp_crying.gif

the ebay bass has a mahogany neck & headstock, too. I'd say it's a decent conversion but not a true EB-3.

my '72 was the only bass I had for 20+ years. never had a problem getting a clear, big, round tone. not a modern sounding bass at all but it always worked. it can bring the mud and the bridge pickup is great for distortion. 2 extra tricks!

72eb-3-1.jpg

the ebay bass has a mahogany neck & headstock, too. I'd say it's a decent conversion but not a true EB-3.

my '72 was the only bass I had for 20+ years. never had a problem getting a clear, big, round tone. not a modern sounding bass at all but it always worked. it can bring the mud and the bridge pickup is great for distortion. 2 extra tricks!

72eb-3-1.jpg

Wow - that has to be one of the nicest EB3s out there Ramone! msp_thumbup.gif

Wow - that has to be one of the nicest EB3s out there Ramone! msp_thumbup.gif

thanks, I gave it a good going over with Dunlop 65 before taking that shot [biggrin] . it's got plenty of battle scars & dings. over the years, that bass became part of me. I don't play it much anymore but I'll never get rid of it

what is really interesting is that whoever did the mods took the time to take out the EB4 humbucker for what appears to be a correct EB3 humbucker

I didn't notice that RD, and have never seen an EB4 in person. I thought the switch was just for a choke, but it did a bit more than that. Interesting electronics in the EB4. I wonder what the "super humbucker" sounded like.

http://www.vintagegu...1972_bass_3.php

• 1 month later...

The EB3L listing has been bugging me for a while now, especially after emailing the seller about this being a modded EB4L. I ended up calling Josh at Cream City Music and described the mods and the error in the listing. He was genuinely sincere, concerned, and appreciated the call. He changed the listing and description immediately, and even added pics to show the modifications. Given that it's not an EB4L anymore or a real EB3L, I think it's priced a bit high; but If it sells now, no one should be disappointed. Someone did a nice job on the conversion, and it should be a great sounding bass.

The EB3L listing has been bugging me for a while now, especially after emailing the seller about this being a modded EB4L. I ended up calling Josh at Cream City Music and described the mods and the error in the listing. He was genuinely sincere, concerned, and appreciated the call. He changed the listing and description immediately, and even added pics to show the modifications. Given that it's not an EB4L anymore or a real EB3L, I think it's priced a bit high; but If it sells now, no one should be disappointed. Someone did a nice job on the conversion, and it should be a great sounding bass.

[thumbup]

Archived