Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standards with Plain Tops?

Paincakes

Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying my first Les Paul, and I seem to be developing an attraction to Plain Top Les Pauls (Honey/Ice Tea/Vintage/Tobacco).

I'm noticing that most newer models all have flame tops, and that only expensive reissues have plaintops.

•  
  • What years did LP Standards have Plain tops? Bonus points if it also has 60 slim tapper neck (and no coil tap/boost/eTune... just not feeling those)
  • Does Gibson have a traceable pattern as to what models/years Les Pauls were available in plain top?
  • Are plain tops expected to become more available in the future?

Thanks!

You should go for a nice secondhand 1960 reissue R0.. R0's tend to have the plain tops and the slim taper necks. I say secondhand as they are more expensive than a current USA standard.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Guest Farnsbarns

You should go for a nice secondhand 1960 reissue R0.. R0's tend to have the plain tops and the slim taper necks. I say secondhand as they are more expensive than a current USA standard.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Yep, this.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Thank you for the suggestion. Ideally I was hoping to stay within the price-range of a used USA Standard, but if there is a substantial difference in build quality, I'll definitely consider R0's. Time to do some homework! Please let me know if you recommend any online resources that cover the ins and outs of R0's throughout the years.

Thanks!

Guest Farnsbarns

Thank you for the suggestion. Ideally I was hoping to stay within the price-range of a used USA Standard, but if there is a substantial difference in build quality, I'll definitely consider R0's. Time to do some homework! Please let me know if you recommend any online resources that cover the ins and outs of R0's throughout the years.

Thanks!

Just avoid 2012. They had laminated fret boards. It is arguable whether this matters but so many feel it does that resale is likely to be effected.

Thanks!

Maybe see if you can find an old LP classic like mine which is from 2002.. and yes they have 60s necks :)

you could always just replace the Trussrod cover to standard

this is my one

IMG_0169_zps1567da5a.jpg

I've done a fair bit of poking around several forums, and so far my favorite tops just happen to belong to two of you who recommended R0's!

Flight959, this is one hell of a G0

HQmbpuT.jpg

I understand yours is from 2006? What years should I narrow-down my search to?

Farnsbarns, I love your R8.

CqXOJlA.jpg

What year is yours from?

I also found a sweet axe from Pippy:

vGCh9I4.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this might be a Classic?

Rabs, thanks for linking the pic. I'll definitely try out some Classics on my journey :D

I've done a fair bit of poking around several forums, and so far my favorite tops just happen to belong to two of you who recommended R0's!

What year is yours from?

Rabs, thanks for linking the pic. I'll definitely try out some Classics on my journey :D

Yes those are three of the best examples of plain tops ever... their guitars are just stunning, but I find it very hard to label those as "plain" ;)

And yes Pippy has one of the 1960 LP Classics which is the same as my one (I just removed the pickguard).... Not to be confused with the actual 1960 re-issues which are proper historic custom models.

Guest Farnsbarns

HQmbpuT.jpg

CqXOJlA.jpg

What year is yours from?

vGCh9I4.jpg

That's very kind. Thanks. Mines 2011. Did you notice anything about the pics of mine and Pippy's (not the guitars themselves)?

Archived