Gibson Brands Forums

Crazy Epiphone "Jibson" SG Mods!

JoshHPMusic

Hey everyone,

So I've got this project going for my previously Epiphone SG Special.

Now, it's becoming more of a custom SG, and little about it will be of Epiphonic origin soon!

A few days ago, I installed a new neck on the thing, with a Gibson-styled headstock. I installed some locking Gotoh Kluson/Keystone style tuners, some decals, Graphtech Tusq XL nut, and SG truss rod cover. All went smoothly, but I decided to take the guitar into a shop for a pro setup.

2vv9v92.jpg

Now, I'm planning to do a few more modifications to make this a great guitar. I just want to try to get some feedback on what I should do, and I've come up with some ideas that I have successfully rendered onto an image of the guitar.

First, here's the original guitar:

j0xxqc.jpg

Here are the options:

Option 1: Fishman Fluence classic humbuckers, and Les Paul brushed aluminum pickguard (on each option). I would add 2 more holes for a standard Gibson knob and switch configuration. Basic.

119p8bk.jpg

Option 2: All that, plus a Bigsby B5!

4voevl.jpg

Option 3: The same as the previous option, just a different knob/switch configuration. A bit less crowded. Less traditional, more unique.

10pbmlg.jpg

Option 4: Same as option 2, but with a cool Jaguar-style switch plate! Matches everything, fits well, and compliments the offset of everything else.

s2bcyb.jpg

Option 5: Same as the previous option, but with the simpler knob configuration. Makes this a 100% unique guitar. This might just be my favorite option...

332pdzd.jpg

So what do you think? I want to hear!

Thanks,

-Josh

I chose option 2 because for one thing, I like having a whammy bar. Question, where is the switch in option 3? I assume you forgot to place it in the plans.

No, no I did not forget. That's why it's a separate option. It would just be a cool wiring scheme, with a master volume, master blend, and two tones.

I have to admit that I've always liked the cool Jaguar switchplate, though it may have been the thing that turned people off to the Jaguar.

I'll vote for 4.

I think it's pretty cool, and allows for some cool switching!

Option 1 if its already getting set up...it will have to be redone if you put the bigsby on...but I dont use tremolo bars so thats just me...

Actually, I would be using a Vibramate, so it's fully reversible!

Just got the guitar back from a setup, here ya go:

30uycgh.jpg

Well unfortunately, I can't edit the poll, but I'm adding a few options...

Option 6: Upper toggle switch

znqyaf.jpg

Option 7: +Bigsby

20h936f.jpg

Option 8: Jag plate, no Bigsby.

2427hwp.jpg

And the toggle switch plate will actually be engraved metal.

I'm starting to question the Bigsby, since my main axe already has a nice Wilkinson trem...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived