Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Sunburst 62/50 Sherry

burchster

Well I got tired of waiting on Epiphone for my UJ Sheraton so I cancelled the order and found this beauty on Ebay. Shes an MIRC refurb but I contacted them with the new serial number and found that nothing major was done to it. The only thing I can find is a small chip in the binding and the back of the neck finish is kinda poorly done but she sounds amazing!!

Also some more good news for me I was polishing my Ebony Sherry 2 and the light hit the back of the neck just right to see the lines of the 5 piece laminated neck...I was disappointed when I got it because I thought it was a scarfed one but it is definitely laminated!! [smile]

DSCF4718.jpg

Well I got tired of waiting on Epiphone for my UJ Sheraton so I cancelled the order and found this beauty on Ebay. Shes an MIRC refurb but I contacted them with the new serial number and found that nothing major was done to it. The only thing I can find is a small chip in the binding and the back of the neck finish is kinda poorly done but she sounds amazing!!

Also some more good news for me I was polishing my Ebony Sherry 2 and the light hit the back of the neck just right to see the lines of the 5 piece laminated neck...I was disappointed when I got it because I thought it was a scarfed one but it is definitely laminated!! [smile]

DSCF4715.jpg

She is a beauty!!! I may be biased… But I have impeccable taste! [biggrin]

I would love to hear how you feel it goes with your Fender amp. I have an AC15 that I really love. Got rid of a great Mesa Boogie to get it. The Boogie was much too powerful for me these days. Not subtle as it were! :-({|=

Regarding the Fender, for some reason I have it in my head that I may have to have a Vibrolux ! But I digress…

Good luck with it, everybody knows full well that the vintage burst is the most best one out there!!

jv

beautiful guitar!!

I have the Cherry model, with a most exellent grain on the top, and the FB grain is just INSANE !!!

and those Gibson minis are hard to beat!

HNGD !!

p.s. i thought I took the worst pics in the entire forum, but you're running a close 2nd [laugh] ....lets' see that beauty in a better pic!

If that model were offered in the Elitist form with a nitro finish, it could bite into Gibson Dot sales. What a gorgeous guitar.

Thats certainly true! Prob why they wont make one. I would like a reissue 59 or 60 Sherry with the laminate New York v neck script logo with the mini hums. I also want a Gibson Dot but thats a few years away..

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, got a refurbished 62/50. Less than $500, with the case. I've dumped another $150 into it and right now, it's my favorite Epiphone guitar, period. What I find interesting about the refurbs is that at one time, they were considered to be a step down from "stock" used. Now, I see them listed at $800-$900! And listed as "customized". Gone are the Gibson pickups (replaced with Seymour Duncans), the gold hardware (now chrome). Are these so "unavailable" now, that refurbs are fetching as much as the original list price? Great guitars, but.....

Enjoy yours, she's a peach.

I paid around 700 for mine....a bit overpriced considering it didnt come with the grey case but I love it. When I contacted MIRC to see what work was done to it, i asked about the ones with the duncans and was told some people order them custom and sometimes they come from the factory missing the stock ones all togather. I assume these are some of the last of the run that didnt make qc mine is numbered 1,500 something of the 1,962..the finish on the back of the neck of mine looks like it wasnt dried properly..its got some swirls on it. I do think they are overpriced but great guitars and the resale factor of a refurb wont be an issue for me.

I paid around 700 for mine....a bit overpriced considering it didnt come with the grey case but I love it. When I contacted MIRC to see what work was done to it, i asked about the ones with the duncans and was told some people order them custom and sometimes they come from the factory missing the stock ones all togather. I assume these are some of the last of the run that didnt make qc mine is numbered 1,500 something of the 1,962..the finish on the back of the neck of mine looks like it wasnt dried properly..its got some swirls on it. I do think they are overpriced but great guitars and the resale factor of a refurb wont be an issue for me.

I agree with you on several points. Some refurbs are over-priced, but demand sets the amount, so why not. I own 3 Epiphone refurbs and I think that they are a great value. The "USED" stamp on the back of the head stock doesn't bother me a bit. I'm curious though, yours is marked "USED"? And yet it still has the serial number showing? I had to carefully peel the tag off, covering mine to find out it was #83. I thought that was standard practice.

Archived