Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - another G400

antwhi2001

I've rejoined the Epi fold - it was bound to happen.

Saw a red standard G400 in perfect condition advertised locally for £80 (with 15 watt Harley Benton combo, strap and lead!). At that price I couldn't resist.

I'd had one before, a 2001 Samick version, which I put P94s in. It was excellent build quality, but I found the neck a little wide and I sold it eventually.

This new one is a Chinese DW Dae Won. It had no strings on when I bought it, so I didn't get to play it til yesterday. I wasn't expecting it to quite as good as the Samick, but it absolutely is. The strings ring out nicely, very low action without any buzzing or rattling. I can't fault it in any way - it's as good as any Korean Epis I've had, and better than some Chinese EEs. Just shows you can't generalise on quality from different factories.

I'm not planning on posting pics - you all know what a cherry red G400 looks like!

• 3 weeks later...

I've rejoined the Epi fold - it was bound to happen.

Saw a red standard G400 in perfect condition advertised locally for £80 (with 15 watt Harley Benton combo, strap and lead!). At that price I couldn't resist.

I'd had one before, a 2001 Samick version, which I put P94s in. It was excellent build quality, but I found the neck a little wide and I sold it eventually.

This new one is a Chinese DW Dae Won. It had no strings on when I bought it, so I didn't get to play it til yesterday. I wasn't expecting it to quite as good as the Samick, but it absolutely is. The strings ring out nicely, very low action without any buzzing or rattling. I can't fault it in any way - it's as good as any Korean Epis I've had, and better than some Chinese EEs. Just shows you can't generalise on quality from different factories.

I'm not planning on posting pics - you all know what a cherry red G400 looks like!

i've got an epi sg 310 lefty after i set it up i bought it from g.c. so they don't bother to set up any lower line stuff except high end gibson and fenders. i did not get anything with this guitar i asked where the goodies were and their reply was we don't know where that stuff went of course it went into their pockets. any how the strings were no good had to change immediately the action was 1/4 " the pickups were to low i adjust em so that when i switch from 1 to the other i get the same volume check the harmonics at 12 &7 th frets. after playing for a while it settled in nice the tuning machines are junk had to change those out to grovers they wiggled in the piece itself and would not stay in tune. they are made by saein co in korea which now has a plant in china where mine was made. gibson started making epi's in korea in 1991. samick makes low end fender strats, "sqiers" and the meduim and high end strats are either made in mexico or usa. look up saein co on the web it goes into the history of gibson and other companies they make guitars for they also make shine,douglas, ibanez,peavey and a few more i can't remember.

It seems like the quality of the Asian guitars can vary. Sometimes you get a great one from one factory, and sometimes not so great. I have a '93 Samick Epi G-400 and its my favorite guitar I own. The quality is just amazing and the neck is incredibly thin and fast. I recently found an identical '92, but I'm going back and forth on whether I should buy it. It could turn out to be nothing like my '93, or just as good. Glad to hear a good review of a Chinese one. I've always said I won't buy another Epi unless its Korean, but I may change my mind eventually.

i've got an epi sg 310 lefty after i set it up i bought it from g.c. so they don't bother to set up any lower line stuff except high end gibson and fenders.

I've found their set ups of higher end guitars awful to non-existant as well.

Congrats on the new G-400. I still love mine. [biggrin]

Archived