Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a FT-150

Kip Carter

Hi all,

I don't currently own a Gibson or Epiphone guitar. I have always loved Gibson's and appreciated the value provided by Epiphone. I hope one date to be able to own a Gibson or two or... well I'm sure you know about GAS.

Posting today to introduce myself to you and perhaps establish another avenue to find and secure the guitar model that I learned on years ago. If you happen to know of someone that have one of these and especially in fair condition and built in 1973 or near by I would really like to bring one back into my stable as a sentimental piece but also to be treasured and restored.

The Back Story:

As a teenager of the 70's I had an interest in guitar and for some time had felt the draw of the instrument. I happened on to a yard sale one day; finding a dime-store weathered and worn guitar with strings that had rusted. I asked how much as it wasn't marked and was told $20. I told them that I only had $5. To that they responded 'SOLD'!

That was the first sip of the Kool-Aid. A week later with fingers that had been torn up by the ridiculous action on the guitar; having to re-tune the guitar constantly as it wouldn't hold a tune more than a few minutes; I was convinced that this was something I could do, something I wanted to do, something I needed to do! With that, I packed up my drum set (I had a full trap set that I had lost interest in), and loaded it in to my VW Beetle (was scarcely room to drive) and announced to my parents that I would be back in a few hours as I was going to Coldwater to buy a guitar.

Playford Music Company in Coldwater, MI introduced me to my Epiphone FT-150 Bard after eyeballing me and my drum set I offered for trade. A few dollars more to make the trade and proudly I was driving back home with my new guitar.

I hadn't been very successful given the condition of the dime-store rellic I had bought at the yard sale a week ago. So it was this guitar that I learned on. Grew to love the music coming out of it.

But as life sometimes does, other things came between my music and me. Needing money to pay utility bills I sold it years later as I struggled. I regret that I ever did that. Wish that I had held on to that guitar. I should have never let go of it.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. One that can be nurtured in effigy of that guitar that implanted my love of specifically guitars but string instruments in general. So if you know of one, if you are aware of someone that has one they might be willing to part with, I hope you'd share it with me.

Regards,

Kip...

With a story like that, if I had an old FT-150 that I wasn't using, I'd give it to you right now, & I'm sure others would feel the same way. A quick check of eBay shows that there is one currently listed. Even though that one has some sort of neck repair, it shows that with a little patience, you should be able to come up with yours in fairly short order.

Best of luck, and happy hunting :).

You sure you wanna go all out for all-laminated guitar? There are lots of solid top Epiphone options that look just like the FT-150 Bard.

The FT-155 immediately comes to mind.

I have some nice guitars. Eventually I'll stable a Gibson (on my to-do list but would love to find one in my birth year!) but no this one is very sentimental to me.

I'm pretty sure I will invest much more than it is worth, but its true-worth to me is what that particular model represents to me. I"m going to be 58 years old here soon and so some greatest treasure resides in those things brought me to where I am today. So, when I reflect on my music the FT-150 is the true point of origin.

With a story like that, if I had an old FT-150 that I wasn't using, I'd give it to you right now, & I'm sure others would feel the same way. A quick check of eBay shows that there is one currently listed. Even though that one has some sort of neck repair, it shows that with a little patience, you should be able to come up with yours in fairly short order.

Best of luck, and happy hunting :).

Yeah I was watching the one on Ebay listed at $285. The guy has not responded to two separate attempts to get clarification on the nature of the neck repair. There is another that looks like a 150 but the numbers are unreadable. Again no response from seller, but that head stock has been snapped off and re-affixed.

Will keep my eye out. Joining up here I figured I might garner a few extra eyes on the street and perhaps locate something sooner rather than later. Thanks for the well wishes!

Archived