Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-355 - Keith Richards

Hype

Hey guys,

Just curious did Gibson ever make a custom ES-355 Keith Richards model? I know back from approx 2008 to 2011 Gibson made those Ebony and Cherry colored ones with the Bigsby sometimes they would even make VOS versions of these guitars (calling them Antique Ebony or Faded Cherry)....But although the Ebony colored ones looked almost identical to Keith's except of course Keith removed the red/dark pickguard and the Bigsby was not painted black, but was all Gold....Did these models ever use Keith Richards name on them? Just curious....

Back in the 60's from what I read, the first Ebony ES-335 was made for Johnny Rivers. Trini Lopez had his model which was a re-designed ES-335. Funny but Johnny Rivers actually played a 335 whereas Lopez didn't. Both great recording artists.

I think there were quite a few factory black thinlines from what I've seen: definitely a 335, 345 and at least four 330s. The 330s are dot necks, I think fromnn 1961. Keith Richards has one of these as well as the 355, as does his tech, and Bernard Butler has one with a Bigsby. I've seen Bernard's up close a few times and it's absolutely gorgeous, beautiful condition and sounds amazing.

I've heard of VOS Ebony ES355s referred to by dealers as the Kieth Richards model but I don't think it was ever an official designation, more an easy way to advertise the guitar on the dealer's part. I'm sure Gibson weren't unaware they were putting out something that would appeal to Keith fans when they did the VOS version. It's got to be one of the coolest celebrity owned Gibsons out there.

The reason why I asked Jayyj is cos, well I have a 2011 VOS ES-355 Antique Ebony with Bigsby, but if you checkout eBay, there is currently a 2011 VOS ES-355 for sale. The seller says it was a limited Keith Richards model.

It looks like an exact replica or close to of Keith's, the Bigsby is that faded all gold look (most of the other VOS ES-355's were had black paint on it). But I guess the seller could've easily replace the Bigsby or rubbed the black paint off himself. All other minor tweaks was probably done by the seller (ie - reversed the bridge to face the opposite way, remove the pickguard)....

I am not 100% certain... but upon conducting a brief online research, I see no evidence that Gibson ever attached Keith's name to any guitar.

Sorry, but I think that should be written the other way around.

"I found no evidence that Keith Richards ever attached his name to a Gibson"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived