Gibson Brands Forums

guitar strap - need your help please

mimmo

Hi guys, I have two nice epiphone electros that I would like to gig with, but I cannot find the right strap. Since the input jack is in the strap pin it is bigger than usual and it seems that I cannot find a strap that fits the large pin. My guitars are an IB 64 Texan and a masterbuilt 500 DR. Which straps do you use with these kind of guitars?

Thanks a lo for your help.

Mimmo.

Just take a sharp blade to the slit for the strap button & cut a slightly longer slit. Don't overdo it!

El Capitano

First, your amazing range of knowledge never ceases to amaze me

Second, Please make a video of your band-I hate to keep hearing you referred to as the

Singing Esteban LOL

Your Buddy So Far

Moose

Moose,

look on you tube for Steve Barnes.

I treasure the video of you singing in the toilet.

EL CAPITANO

YOU SHOULD BE SO LUCKY-THE THUMBNAIL THAT IS

I think that song I did in the john is so romantic that I fell in love with myself all over again

Moose

[/

P.S. I tried Steve Barnes That Cosmic thing gave me a migrane

Steve Barnes The Ozarks at the Navigation. I could care less.

What does that mean?

Oh,and thanks for Bertha,by the way.(Buddy)

El Capitano:

I come as a virgin to your referral-please be explicit as to what- IF ANYTHING- I am missing in your Steve Barnes suggestion-

A suggestion-UTube Crying Heart Blues by Johnny & Jack

k.d. Lang -Sugar Moon -now that's how country should be sung

Keep using a guitar strap on guitar after guitar & year after year and the hole will keep getting bigger until it's too big. That reminds me.......

Maybe Mr.Barnes POSTS ARE UK ONLY?

lIKED KDlANG.

Check out Doc Watson & the Kruger brothers "Shady Grove" on Facebook today.

Hi guys, I have two nice epiphone electros that I would like to gig with, but I cannot find the right strap. Since the input jack is in the strap pin it is bigger than usual and it seems that I cannot find a strap that fits the large pin. My guitars are an IB 64 Texan and a masterbuilt 500 DR. Which straps do you use with these kind of guitars?

Thanks a lo for your help.

Mimmo.

yeah, that output jack button is a mess of a design flaw! check this out: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Strap_Buttons/Acoustic_Strap_Secure.html

Keep using a guitar strap on guitar after guitar & year after year and the hole will keep getting bigger until it's too big. That reminds me.......

Maybe Mr.Barnes POSTS ARE UK ONLY?

lIKED KDlANG.

Check out Doc Watson & the Kruger brothers "Shady Grove" on Facebook today.

EL CAPITANO

Great combination-I saw the Krueger Brothers on their first appearance in the US

and too many times to remember since. Monster pickers to say the least.

Moose

P.S. Reminds you of what? As if I couldn't guess!

Moose

All kidding aside, I see the endpin jack as designed to allow the thin wood of the side on an AE not to have a hole endangering it - but a horrid bit for anyone using a strap on their instrument.

Of course all sorts of archtops have a "regular" endpin and a jack on the side of the instrument.

I installed a mag pup on an acoustic 12 and added a side jack connection with a bit of internal backing to add a bit of protection for it.

Also, I don't care for the permanence of the Stu mac "solution." Certain straps, such as a handcrafted one made for me a few years ago, simply won't go in the case that way.

So... I ended up with a dedicated strap for each of these monsters with a single heavy leather end - and enlarging the "buttonhole" as mentioned above.

Meanwhile the nice pro-made strap is sent to the electrics.

#@$%#$%#@$%@

The only conclusion I can come to is that somebody might invent a little attachment that goes onto the too-fat endpin jack that would have a nicely protected strap button on it - and then the jack/amp cord and/or just guitar strap would be more secure.

m

Enlarging the slit will make any strap slip over a button with less effort. However, easy on means easy off, even if you don't intend to have it fall off.

I'm a believer in having dedicated straps. Find the one that works, then leave it on. Continual removal and re-installation wears out the button holes, making them less secure.

For these over size buttons / cable jacks, I just customize the hole, then slit as necessary.

First off get the hole size right. A too small hole will cause the leather tab end to pucker and the leather to bunch up. This causes insecurity.

Measure, either with calipers or just eyeball the diameter of the button just below the mushroomed top where the strap will swing.

Use a hole punch to make the hole in the strap about the same as the measured diameter.

Then work the hole over the button. If necessary, lengthen the slit. This should be very secure.

It can be made more secure by then sewing the slit closed to make removal next to impossible. Yup, the strap never comes off. If I should 'ever' want to remove it, I only have to sever the thread. I've never had to removed a strap.

Chose your strap carefully. Make sure that the strap is all leather and/or fabric. Although some fabrics can be abrasive to guitar finishes, so I just avoid fabrics all together. Vinyl means death to expensive guitar finishes, so eschew plastic. Make sure, also, that the strap has no exposed metal parts which can come in contact with the guitar while being handled or in the case.

When casing, I route the strap from the bottom button, along bass side of the guitar, past the heel, then roll up the rest of it to tuck it just past the heel on the treble side.

The last strap I acquired was for my 'Bird. It is an all leather one, except for a hand sized, chromium plated, cast zinc skull. I'm not much for skulls but loved the all leather strap otherwise. I only had to remove four screws to do the skull-ectomy.

Anyone want a skull?

I laid the end of my strap on a scrap piece of wood, took a .45 casing and centered it around the hole and a few whacks with a hammer and the hole is now perfectly sized to fit the end pin with a jack.

[thumbup]

It would have been more fun if you'd have made that .45 hole from 20 yards. \:D/

How's your aim?

Archived