Gibson Brands Forums

NGD... J-45 1942 Banner Reissue

bram99

Picked this up a couple of days ago. Gibson J-45 1942 Banner Reissue....My LG-2 Mahogany Banner Reissue has got me really liking fatter necks on an acoustic guitar so I felt the need on a J-45. I only have about 3 hours or so of playtime on this guitar (plan on seriously adding to that this weekend), but it is already clear that this is a very different beast than my J-45 TV. I don't know anything about bracing pattern differences when comparing these two guitars, but I suspect the larger neck on the 42 makes it stiffer and that translates into a much quicker attack. The 42 is more responsive and much much louder than the 45TV. The finish on the 42 is really nice...the brown on the back and sides is lighter and you can really see the grain more than on the 45TV....Another big surprise (literally) is the large frets on the 42...didn't notice at first but after a while my finger tips got a bit tender...then I notice big frets....the specs say "vintage frets" didn't know they used big frets back then always thought all the vintage ones were small.

I am a lucky man....I now have two of the guitars Gibson produced as part of John Thomas's Kalamazoo Gal reissue project. I hope he has the chance to play these someday...

imagejpg1_zps6fef938a.jpg

A comfortable scene there, on all accounts- congrats. Looks like a good NGD/W.E. in store for you {so much for chores ; ) }.

Those do look like some fat frets. 'Wonder if the "vintage frets" specification also pertained to nickel content of the fret wire as well(?). Enjoy.

Zombie,

If Gibson was consistent in the way they handle those details, wouldn't they suddenly not be Gibson any more?

I reckon there's a special "secret" production manager who passes the lore down from one generation to the next (sort of akin to the late Prince Albert's butler).

He comes out of hiding to deliberately fudge the details on some guitars--just to keep frustrating anyone who is looking for a pattern. He's in charge of stuff like pick guard choice and placement, logo positioning, and on his best days, he creates absolutely brain-wracking model numbers, so that a J45N can appear right next to a J50.

bram99, They are certainly nice looking, and, no doubt fine sounding modern guitars. It would behoove you to play a "real" wartime or pre war "Gibson". Once you play one, no doubt you'll agree. As good as the modern "copies" sound, and I agree with you, but there is no way in blue blazes that you can get the "sound and tone" from new wood. I learned over the years!!!

bram99, They are certainly nice looking, and, no doubt fine sounding modern guitars. It would behoove you to play a "real" wartime or pre war "Gibson". Once you play one, no doubt you'll agree. As good as the modern "copies" sound, and I agree with you, but there is no way in blue blazes that you can get the "sound and tone" from new wood. I learned over the years!!!

Buzz Killington

Beautiful guitar. Congrats!

Buzz Killington

Beautiful guitar. Congrats

Agreed !

I don't know how many times I've read when someone here post's about a new guitar that Martin 1940D28 post's something negative about that new guitar just not up to par with it's vintage counterpart. Mr buzzkill !

No buzz kill for me because I don't value my possessions based on others perceptions. Not a lot of emotion in the purchase either. I just love J-45s and have always wished my 45TV had a fatter neck, 19 instead of 20 frets, and a rectangular bridge. So I pulled the trigger on this one with 30 days to return if I want. I plan on A/Bing the 42 with the TV with the thought that one emerges as the keeper....Problem is they are both really nice for different reasons. The TV is 5 years old and has a very warm and mellow sound...a certain gentleness when finger picked and a nice growl when strummed. The 42 is really soulful and bluesy when fingered and bright and punchy when strummed. I think the stiffer fat neck transfers more string vibration to the top, so the whole box feels like hitting a motorcycle throttle when you hit a hard open E chord for example.....rev....rev. I think it would overpower my D28. But playing it soft it is sweet and lovely. May not be able to let either go...

i have played my share of wartime era Gibson acoustics, and while I agree with 1940D28's comments about the sweetness of their tone, I just haven't seen one clean enough that I can afford. I can't get past the crackled rough necks, finish cracks, bad repairs, other peoples goo and musty insides of the ones I have seen. I prefer new or slightly used....but if I find a really really clean Banner LG-2 1-3/4" neck, adirondack top, I would buy it.

We know a friend who bought one of those-- we played in a bluegrass session with him and although it did really not have bluegrass tone, it was a strong guitar.

We actually have a near mint 1942 J-45 -- big neck etc. Ours is also an exceptional guitar but we don't take it out too much because it is in such pristine shape -- the down side to having museum+ quality instruments.

It is the one on the far left of this picture -- the next two in the front row -- an SJ and a RW SJ -- are also very early instruments. (The left one in the back is a '42 mahogany topped LG-1 -- I like it fine, but I can't say I like it better than the later spruce topped LG-2.)

When we get back we are going to report back on how the old and new compare -- I will report back.

Enjoy your new guitar!

40Gibs.jpg

Best,

-Tom

I am a lucky man....I now have two of the guitars Gibson produced as part of John Thomas's Kalamazoo Gal reissue project. I hope he has the chance to play these someday...

John had a chance to play the '42 Banner Reissue that I now own at the 2013 Gibson Homecoming. That guitar was brought over from the factory for us to check out. I don't know whether it was one of the first ones produced or not. Maybe someone else who was at that Homecoming would remember and chime in.

Dave in SLC

Well...had most of Sunday to A/B the '42 reissue along side the 45TV.

In terms of specs, the guitars differ as follows:

'42 Banner Reissue has....

Tapered headstock

1.75 inch nut instead of standard 1.725

fat neck (baseball bat...same as Legend)

Rectangular through saddle bridge

Cloth on X-brace and cloth strips on inner sides

Large "vintage" frets

19 instead of 20 frets

"Wide x-bracing" instead of "advanced X bracing

E.I. Rosewood instead of Madagascar

More of a burnt umber finish with more visible mahogany grain... rather than the dark tobacco brown on the 45TV.

In terms of playability it probably comes down to personal choice, but I like the fat neck of the '42 reissue, but prefer the smaller frets of the 45TV (but man that neck is starting to feel too skinny)....right now it's like having papa bear in the '42 and baby bear in the 45TV, but I think I want mama bear....fat neck with small frets (like my mahogany banner LG-2). The Golden Age relic tuners that came with the guitar are a POS...I happened to have another set in nickel with black Antique Acoustic buttons from another unfinished project that I dropped in...they are smooth and look much better without the fake relic...and I prefer the black knobs. I also have one of James' Firestripe pickguards that is stunning and may make it onto the '42 reissue.

Tone wise...'42 has more volume and punch...very responsive with a quicker on/off than the 45TV....I think some of that is because the 45TV is 5 years old and well played. The 45TV has opened up and is warmer and more mellow in a good way. Hope to hear the same warmth in the '42 reissue in time.

Verdict...keeping both for now. Definitely not sending back the '42. It is more different in tone from the 45TV than I was expecting. It has everything I want it terms of specs and tone, and it should open up nicely...still need to adjust to the bigger frets, but pretty perfect otherwise.

Great comparison review Bram !

How is the weight of the 42 compared to the TV ?

I didn’t know about the wider nut, coupled with the baseball bat neck you better have big hands…

How did you find out the bracing pattern on the 42 ? And what’s the difference between « wider X » and « Advanced X » ? Is it because the later is forward shifted ?

We know a friend who bought one of those-- we played in a bluegrass session with him and although it did really not have bluegrass tone, it was a strong guitar.

We actually have a near mint 1942 J-45 -- big neck etc. Ours is also an exceptional guitar but we don't take it out too much because it is in such pristine shape -- the down side to having museum+ quality instruments.

It is the one on the far left of this picture -- the next two in the front row -- an SJ and a RW SJ -- are also very early instruments. (The left one in the back is a '42 mahogany topped LG-1 -- I like it fine, but I can't say I like it better than the later spruce topped LG-2.)

When we get back we are going to report back on how the old and new compare -- I will report back.

Enjoy your new guitar!

40Gibs.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Tom, I guess I can't talk you into trading my two pair for your full house...? That 42 J-45 in your pic has got to be the best looking guitar I have ever seen...and you have the brown 42 LG-1 in there too....oh man.

photo_zpsdd6628cb.jpg

Tom,

Looking forward to hearing your review on the 1942 J-45 reissue. I'm considering purchasing one if the price is right.

Also, to all others - I can attest to the amazing quality of Tom's J-45 and SJ. Particularly the latter. It has the best tone of any guitar I've ever played, and is the embodiment of that dry-woody and warm tone that Gibson is known for and people long for.

Needless to say, I trust his judgement when it comes to comparing the reissue to the original!

Regards,

Travis

I didn’t know about the wider nut, coupled with the baseball bat neck you better have big hands…

I have rather small to medium size hands, and I'm a thumb wrapper, and the big neck on the Legend, and likely this 42, feels great to me, not at all hard to play.

Archived