Gibson Brands Forums

MHS Pickup???

Larsongs

After doing a bit of research it seems the Price point for ES Guitars with MHS Pickups start at $4099.00 Street price. Except for the new ES Les Paul which I wasn't even aware existed? It's a cross between a Semi hollow ES & a Les Paul with MHS Pups. Street is about $2799.00.

Does anyone here have one or tried one? What do you think? Actually the Black one looks pretty cool. They are in the 6lb. Range. If it had a Bigsby I'd jump on one.

But more important is Sound, playability etc.

Thoughts & opinions appreciated,

Thanks,

Lars

Link http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/2014/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

Never played one Lars let alone owned one.

I admit to liking the look of them and did toy once with the idea of trying to get one. But when I thought about it I decided against as it isn't a 335 semi-acoustic style and neither is it a Les Paul. It is something else entirely. Maybe they are fantastic. I would expect them to be good. But I'd need a long period of being able to play about on one before I would consider buying.

Never played one Lars let alone owned one.

I admit to liking the look of them and did toy once with the idea of trying to get one. But when I thought about it I decided against as it isn't a 335 semi-acoustic style and neither is it a Les Paul. It is something else entirely. Maybe they are fantastic. I would expect them to be good. But I'd need a long period of being able to play about on one before I would consider buying.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying.

I added a link to Gibson to view this Guitar. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/2014/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

Lars

• 1 year later...

I played a '65 ES345 reissue (cherry red) with those pickups in it. I can tell you they are the best sounding pickup Gibson's come up with in a long time, definitely beat the Custom Buckers that the Custom Shop uses on their LP reissues. That same day I played a 1960 Les Paul reissue and the 345 blew it away. Given that the les Paul was poorly set up and its my favorite guitar ever.. The best thing Gibson could do is put those MHS pickups in some solid-body Les Pauls.

Yes those pickups are THAT amazing

• 7 months later...

MHS, as you probably know, stands for Memphis Historic Spec.

As such, I believe they come humbucker style and they also come P-90 style.

The ES-330 uses MHS pickups, and I can tell you that I think these are the coolest sounding P90's I have ever heard. I just love mine. It's the tone of the 60's for sure!

• 2 years later...

Just bought the custom shop VOS 64 ES345 ( frost blue), equipped with the MHS pickups. Let me preface this by saying this is the first Gibson that I’ve ever owned ( I was mainly a strat guy). I’ve fallen in love with the ES345 and the tone of these pickups. I use it for jazz, blues and rock. They savagely scream or can be mellow and sweet.

I have no more desire to even play my strats anymore.

Archived