Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone's Stickers

QuestionMark

Here's a fun one...

Sure you've also noticed Epiphones have their fair share of stickers on the backside of the headstock, referencing what country they were made in, what country they were inspected in, initials of who inspected them, and who knows what else. And, then sometimes they may have only some or none of them. Out of curiosity, have y'all left them all on, only some on, wondered where they went if they were no longer on when you first got the guitar, looked to see if others with Epiphones have left them all on or taken some or all of them off...and why? Wondered...does any of this really matter or is there a proper sticker protocol, does any one really care etc. etc.??

Looking forward to reading others thoughts on this unique Epiphone situation (when compared to a Gibson's sticker-less world.)

DISCLAIMER: This topic is posted soley for all of our amusement. NO ONE has ruined or devalued their Epiphone guitar by taking these stickers off or leaving them on. [biggrin]

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Here's a fun one...

Sure you've also noticed Epiphones have their fair share of stickers on the backside of the headstock, referencing what country they were made in, what country they were inspected in, initials of who inspected them, and who knows what else. And, then sometimes they may have only some or none of them. Out of curiosity, have y'all left them all on, only some on, wondered where they went if they were no longer on when you first got the guitar, looked to see if others with Epiphones have left them all on or taken some or all of them off...and why? Wondered...does any of this really matter or is there a proper sticker protocol, does any one really care etc. etc.??

Looking forward to reading others thoughts on this unique Epiphone situation (when compared to a Gibson's sticker-less world.)

DISCLAIMER: This topic is posted soley for all of our amusement. NO ONE has ruined or devalued their Epiphone guitar by taking these stickers off or leaving them on. [biggrin]

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Interesting question on the MB head stock stickers. I decided to remove those stickers on my 3 Masterbilts only because I feared in years to come, they might fall off, and leave a shadow where they once were which might not be able to be removed. Sticker glue can be a nasty thing and who knows if it might affect the beautiful poly finish or not? I didn't want to risk that...which I think COULD possibly devalue them if that were to happen.

So I removed the stickers to expose the wood and finish, knowing that this, it will never leave a shadow mark where the stickers once were. There were three stickers on the back of each head stock. In some ways it made them look authentic, in other ways it seemed to look cheap.

So I opted to remove the stickers for looks, and also to keep the beautiful wood free of the vague possibility that in the future they might fall off leaving, and leave non removable etched shadow marks where they once were. I do not believe it will devalue them as the serial number will identify it as authentic. But that's just me, I would say to each his own on this issue, there is no right or wrong! ....

....one exception..if there was a sticker which says " Plek'd" I would leave it on, or save it in the case to show it was done by Epiphone. None of mine were Plek'd! But they all play very good anyway!

On a final note, it is well know that wood, including the head stock, darkens over time by exposure to light and aging....should the stickers fall off after several years, it could also produce a non removable shadow trace of where the sticker once were, in much the same way as removing a pick guard will do after just a few years.

Interesting....subject

My DR500 came with no stickers on it and no trace of them. Now it was a new old stock 2007 model so the store in Buffalo may have removed them , I have no idea.

The one's that were on my Lucille I removed because I didn't want anything but the serial number on the back of the headstock.

I just prefer a clean look and not cluttered with stickers , but that is just my OCD at play.

I generally buy guitars used. I don't recall too many of those stickers on them when I get them. The only guitar I recall removing markings from was an Ibanez Artcore that had all kinds of white stencils on the back of the headstock. That bugged me, and when I discovered that it would come of with enough rubbing, I wore out my thumb rubbing them off of the guitar. The worst one was the EU garbage can sticker that means something like don't throw your guitar in the trash can. Well, of course not! Why do you need some stencil to tell you that?

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite one is the garbage can sticker. Anyone know what it really means? Does it have anything to do with 2nds being saved from the dumpster? I'm 50/50 on peeling them off....any "made in china" stickers vanish right away...my fingers just kinda pick at them before I even notice what they're doing. All of my "keepers" are old and stickerless, the later ones I have in play for trading and I leave them on anymore. Personally, i think they are less than classy, but when you go to sell one they do lay on a tiny shred of "authenticity".

I seriously dislike those stickers, and remove them asap.

The one exception which I've left on, is the "Assembled In USA" sticker on my John Lee Hooker '64 Sheraton, since it helps authenticate the high build quality of the instrument (body by Terada-Japan, hardware & final assembly by Gibson in Nashville).

Not just Epi's,but those that left made in Japan stickers on have the last laugh.

Me,I crave stickers to cover 2nd or used!

El Capitano

I would like to run my feet through her hair (the thumbnail that is )-or should I stay with this label discussion?

The same with Ronda Vincent who I just saw at the Thomas Point Blue Grass festival-What a singer-WOW-with a really great band

Moose

Thank you for activating my latent OCD. I will now begin obsessing over whether I should take the stickers off my one-month old guitar or not.

I have left them on all my post Kalamazoo Epi's, except on one I took them off about a year ago. Even after reading how most take them off, I still do not know why mine are still mostly on...

This is a fun topic...

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

• 2 weeks later...

The "Made In Indonesia" sticker on my recently acquired 1964 Caballero Reissue was already peeling off when the guitar arrived. I assisted it in its journey to be free from the guitar, and stuck it on the owner's manual just in case I ever sell the guitar. Unfortunately, the sticker inside the body is peeling as well. I think I'll leave that one alone.

• 1 month later...

Since I first started this (Intentionally ridiculous) posting string, I believe some have bought some new Epiphones.

So tell us...did you keep the (numerous) stickers on the back of the neck of your new Epi on or remove them?

Tell us the current trend on this ongoing unresolved controversial matter.😄😄😄😄

JazzmanJeff aka QM

Archived