Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Plustop Pro/Fx setting Floyd Rose

patrick.ogrady

Restrung with lighter guage and I'm adjusting the tremolo, should it be parallel to the body or parallel to the fingerboard. Curved top eh so I think parallel to the fingerboard.

I'd say the fingerboard would be a good frame of reference. It doesn't have to be perfect-just close enough so it doesn't bottom out either direction. I just went through this process with my ESP, which I switched from 9s to a much heavier hybrid set. It will be a long process-set tremolo, tune, set tremolo, tune, set tremolo, tune, utter profanities because it still isn't right, set tremolo, tune, repeat...Enjoy!

I'll take this opportunity for a gratuitous non-Epiphone photo op!

IMG_0650_zps150f6aeb.jpg

In case you want to adjust bridge height for changing action, you will have to tune strings completely down and remove all the vibrato springs before moving the bridge posts. Attempts of screwing them under load will damage posts and bridge edges beyond repair. It's a game of trial and error but there's no other way.

In case you want to adjust bridge height for changing action, you will have to tune strings completely down and remove all the vibrato springs before moving the bridge posts. Attempts of screwing them under load will damage posts and bridge edges beyond repair. It's a game of trial and error but there's no other way.

Good information there! Thanks for sharing that. I imported the one in the photo from Japan and the owner's manual is all in Japanese. I would have had no idea that you couldn't adjust the bridge height under tension.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote myself here to remind you of being careful in case of wanting to adjust action.

I just noticed something. The studs are uneven, as in the low E side stud is not as deep in the body as the 1st string side. Is this normal?

No problem. This is exactly what you would find on all of my six Floyd Rose guitars. [thumbup]

As with solid bridges like Tune-O-Matics, string action is finally defined by the bridge posts. The bass strings usually call for more action, i. e. clearance height above the fret wires. Therefore the bass-sided bridge post will require more height than the treble-sided one.

Archived