Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number Decoding

wingman180

I am enjoying my new to me Masterbuilt DR500MCE but I am curious as to how to decipher when and where it was made. It does not really matter it's a great guitar. No matter what.

I was told the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year the guitar was made.

I am enjoying my new to me Masterbuilt DR500MCE but I am curious as to how to decipher when and where it was made. It does not really matter it's a great guitar. No matter what.

first two numbers is the year, second two is the month, the next two is the factory.

most Masterbilts these days are made at the Samick factory in Indonesia.

I found this very interesting....

there is an ink stamped number on the neck block of my 2007 DR500MNA that reads 0712060326 and if you enter that in to the guitar dater website you get this answer....

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made in

Korea

December c.2007

Production Number: 00326

but if you enter the serial number printed on the label that reads GR-07110326 you get this answer....

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at a factory not yet added to the database

November 2007

Production Number: 0326

this is the website I am using.....

My link

Does anyone know why this would be ?

Not that it matters to me where or who put this amazing instrument together because it is just wonderful to me but whoever did... they were on their game on that day for sure !!

you'll want to go by the serial number on the label.

any idea what the other number on the neck block is ?

strange that it equates to a good serial number . Also strange that it begins with the same 2 digits and ends with the same last four digits of my label serial number.

does anyone know exactly what year Epiphone started making these Masterbilt DR series guitars ?

Just curious

My Dr500MCE has serial number 311523360. It does'nt seem to fit in with the " first two numbers is the year" method. Oh well. I guess I will just have to play it anyway. I love this guitar.

your guitar is a MIRC refurbished guitar. no way to tell with that serial number.

any idea what the other number on the neck block is ?

strange that it equates to a good serial number . Also strange that it begins with the same 2 digits and ends with the same last four digits of my label serial number.

does anyone know exactly what year Epiphone started making these Masterbilt DR series guitars ?

Just curious

maybe Grand Reward assigned the serial number to the guitar before they put the Epiphone serial number label in it? I believe they revived the Masterbilt line in 2004.

Archived