Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a Used Les Paul

stanleycjohn

Hey guys I need some advice. I have the option of buying either a Charvel Desolation (DS-1) 2013 model for ~$700 OR buying a used but perfect condition 2007 Les Paul Studio in original case (worn cherry) for exactly $650. Which one do you think is worth the money?

The Les Paul is on Craigslist from a guy who bought it and pretty much never played it. He kept it cased and in 10/10 condition. is $650 a good deal?

Keep in mind this would be my first electric guitar (I play acoustic, piano, and little bass) and I wanted to try a new instrument. I just want to buy something that I can rely on as I get better and not have to buy a new guitar and I've been blessed with a higher than usual budget for a newbie.

Which one would you buy and what would you caution me about buying a used LP if I were to get it? Anything I should check for? I know its genuine because I've checked the serial with Gibson and all the specs match up.

Is a Les Paul too much guitar for a newbie?

post-66913-087915300 1407797876_thumb.jpg

post-66913-085467400 1407797891_thumb.jpg

post-66913-069203400 1407797917_thumb.jpg

not too much guitar at all.

I used to work in a shop and we mostly carried "lower middle" guitars. No truly low end ones because we all belive that if you go "too cheap" the poor quality can actually hinder playing. Theory being, if the guitar gives you the most out of your playing, you'll play more/get better sooner. If no matter how you are playing, it sounds/feels terrible, you won't stay with it.

That being said, I'm also a huge Charvel fan. I can't speak accurately about the Desolation, as I've never played one, but I own older models and have played a few of their newer models and they are great.

If not sure if it will be "your thing", the Gibby will probably re-sell better in both speed and price.

Just my thoughts.

NHTom

1407797923[/url]' post='1551954']

Hey guys I need some advice. I have the option of buying either a Charvel Desolation (DS-1) 2013 model for ~$700 OR buying a used but perfect condition 2007 Les Paul Studio in original case (worn cherry) for exactly $650. Which one do you think is worth the money?

The Les Paul is on Craigslist from a guy who bought it and pretty much never played it. He kept it cased and in 10/10 condition. is $650 a good deal?

Keep in mind this would be my first electric guitar (I play acoustic, piano, and little bass) and I wanted to try a new instrument. I just want to buy something that I can rely on as I get better and not have to buy a new guitar and I've been blessed with a higher than usual budget for a newbie.

Which one would you buy and what would you caution me about buying a used LP if I were to get it? Anything I should check for? I know its genuine because I've checked the serial with Gibson and all the specs match up.

Is a Les Paul too much guitar for a newbie?

post-66913-087915300 1407797876_thumb.jpg

post-66913-085467400 1407797891_thumb.jpg

post-66913-069203400 1407797917_thumb.jpg

In the end the les Paul will definitely hold it's value better.

Is it about a Charvel DS-1 ST or DS-1 FR? Dealing with Floyd Rose systems will take some education for avaoiding damage and getting most out of it, but then it is just fun and simply fantastic. They are the best vibrato systems in my opinion. Love them since 27 years. However, the right hand's technique must be specifically adapted.

With the Gibson LP Studio in 10/10 condition you can't go wrong in my opinion.

I have essentially the same Les Paul Studio. Mine is worn brown finish but looks pretty much the same. It's a great guitar, it's light, plays well and sounds great. I believe this one would have burstbuckers in it as well which is a nice set of pick ups, mahoganey top and back (multiple pieces)and the hardware is good quality. I honestly wouldn't sell mine for less than $700, so $650 with the HSC is very reasonable!!

I don't see how you guys think 650 is a fair price for a worn cherry studio.

Regular gloss finished studios are on ebay all the time for 600-700 shipped with a HSC. Worn/faded Cherry Studios are usually around 500-600 all day long. No way I'd even think about paying 650 for a used one.

Heck this one in this Craigslist ad a few miles away from me has a 475 asking price in mint shape and HSC.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/4601178573.html

A Studio w/satin finish is a great newbie guitar. Not "too much".That price is very reasonable with hardshell case. Can't speak for other guitar but you rarely go wrong with Gibsons.

Plus, generally speaking, it's better to "grow into" a guitar, than out of one.

Both economically, and from a player's standpoint. IMHO, as always...

CB

I don't see how you guys think 650 is a fair price for a worn cherry studio.

Regular gloss finished studios are on ebay all the time for 600-700 shipped with a HSC. Worn/faded Cherry Studios are usually around 500-600 all day long. No way I'd even think about paying 650 for a used one.

Heck this one in this Craigslist ad a few miles away from me has a 475 asking price in mint shape and HSC.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/4601178573.html

You can't always trust people on craigslist. Especially if they don't include a picture. I would never take less than $500

for a Gibson, even if it is just an LP Studio satin.

Archived