Gibson Brands Forums

explorer tobacco burst

walkingwizard

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a gibson explorer some time ago in tobacco burst finish, made in -92. haven't really seen that finish around a lot. Anyone knows how many were made during the 90´s in that finish?

Grateful for any help!!

Sadly no further informations here, but I have to admit I would like to view pictures... [love][blush][rolleyes]

Yeah.. Gibson are pretty tight lipped when it comes to production numbers... Sometimes they will mention it if the model is VERY limited like say to 2 or 3 hundred or less... But usually they don't and we have no idea how many are out there.

I bought a gibson explorer some time ago in tobacco burst finish, made in -92. haven't really seen that finish around a lot. Anyone knows how many were made during the 90´s in that finish?

Grateful for any help!!

I always wonder why people ask about production numbers. What's up with that?

Many equate fewer numbers with "rarity", therefore higher "resale value". It never seems to occur to people that it's quite possible they didn't make many because they sucked, or no matter how good they were they just couldn't give them away. That's been my experience.

I'm not talking about the Explorer this thread is about. Just in general.

rct

Yeah.. Gibson are pretty tight lipped when it comes to production numbers... Sometimes they will mention it if the model is VERY limited like say to 2 or 3 hundred or less... But usually they don't and we have no idea how many are out there.

The number of items thing applies to the entire product line. There might be only a handful of certain mass produced guitars since their finishes sold much less than others.

I always wonder why people ask about production numbers. What's up with that?

I think this is mostly about Limited Editions since these depend on demand. The majority of Limited Runs is officially defined by Gibson, at least those offered worldwide. However, there are Limited Runs of unknown quantity, too, and most of my limited Gibsons belong there.

Many equate fewer numbers with "rarity", therefore higher "resale value". It never seems to occur to people that it's quite possible they didn't make many because they sucked, or no matter how good they were they just couldn't give them away. That's been my experience.

I'm not talking about the Explorer this thread is about. Just in general.

rct

[thumbup] Rarity for sure, but prices will be ruled by the buyers as well. The market can be unsteady and unpredictable.

Archived