Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone installed a pickup in their Epiphone DR-212?

modulom4

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing on an Epi 12...

But I've had good luck a couple times with mag pups on other brands of 12 flattops. It's obviously not close to the same thing, but it's surprising at how good even an inexpensive soundhole pup can sound if you mess with the amp controls a bit.

My observation is that with a mag pup, the string quality and playing style makes a big diff.

Dunno about adding a modern piezo.

But I'd guess that as with a mag pup - or playing a 12 regardless, your feelings of quality of the box will be in ways as much a matter of setting things right with the preamp and the amp. It's awfully easy to make a 12 sound muddy regardless, and various amp settings can either make it worse or clean it up a bit. Again, technique also makes a big diff, and perhaps especially through an amp.

I always note elsewhere that an "electric" or AE is only as good amplified as the amplifier and its settings.

That said, I've had good luck with both AE and mag pups plugged directly into a PA if I'm not adding a bunch of other stuff.

It's surprising how just a bit of change here and there can make an AE sound similar to miked although without some of the artifacts of how it's miked, or like an electric.

m

• 1 month later...

wow nobody??

Not me. I've had a DR212 for a couple of years now, but see no need to amplify it since I also have a Gretsch electrci 12 string (which also doesn't get a lot of playing time). Glad the p/u config worked for you.

Archived