Gibson Brands Forums

sustain

peter tarvydas

i have a wouderful sounding sg special 1999,the third string fretted at no 12 rings out ,after 4 seconds,to the half string length harmonic i must mention that is only noticeable when plugged in and amplified. i,m very pleased with this sg though

IF it were me, I'd have a good setup, fret level, and polish done. And, have the nut replaced,

with a bone nut. It is a 15 year old guitar, so some reasonable maintenance it probably due!

But, that's just my 2-cent's worth.

CB

i have a wouderful sounding sg special 1999,the third string fretted at no 12 rings out ,after 4 seconds,to the half string length harmonic i must mention that is only noticeable when plugged in and amplified. i,m very pleased with this sg though

Seems absolutely normal to me. The vast majority of guitars have dull notes. This applies to cheap and expensive guitars, mass production and Custom Shop the same way.

I met dead spots of the fundamental on T-O-M & stopbar SGs between D#4 and F#4 on B2nd and G3rd. Therefore G4 on a Special is not so far away and seems sensible. Fender Stratocasters have their dull note between F#4 and G#4, Les Paul and Fender Telecaster guitars lack somewhere between G#3 and B3 as well as G#4 and B4.

The only guitar I ever met without a single dull fundamental in the 4th octave is the Aria Pro II semi-solid with bolt-on neck owned by a bandmate.

If you are saying the note is normal and then harmonics after four seconds, you are saying the string vibrates and hits a fret just enough to stop it and make the harmonic. So halfway from the 12 to the bridge is the approximate fret that is out. If that is the only problem with that guitar, you can handle it in about 30 seconds with a fret file.

rct

Archived