Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul Signature T 2013 AW damage on arrival

Pucifer

So i received my new Les Paul yesterday (first one in about 9 years)

Basicly i opened the package, sat down and was about to start playing when i looked over the fret board binding and it looked very sub par (red marks and scuff marks all over the board), then i looked around the the guitar and found a 7cm crack in the paint

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

the binding is just a little handfull, the entire fretboard had the same issue.

Considering the box had never been opened between me and The factory i would have to assume this is quality control gone askew.

Now Thomann was kind enough to take it back and offer me a replacement but is this something that comes on a lot of guitars in this series or was i just unlucky?

(yes i know its riskay to order online but i don`t have any stores that sell these within 500km...)

Basicly i opened the package, sat down and was about to start playing when i looked over the fret board binding and it looked very sub par (red marks and scuff marks all over the board), then i looked around the the guitar and found a 7cm crack in the paint

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Considering the box had never been opened between me and The factory i would have to assume this is quality control gone askew.

Now Thomann was kind enough to take it back and offer me a replacement but is this something that comes on a lot of guitars in this series or was i just unlucky?

(yes i know its riskay to order online but i don`t have any stores that sell these within 500km...)

There are always bound to be some duds in the mass production process. Ordering online is fine as long as you order from a respectable place that you know you can return if you are unsatisfied. I say let them send you the replacement, I think it was just bad luck with that one. The red on the binding looks almost like a buffing compound that would probably wipe right off, but the crack in the finish is a whole different story, I will contribute this to the guitar probably being stored in a non climate controlled warehouse, and temp changes probably made the finish crack.

I tried to wipe the red marks off but they did not budge even a little, to me it looked a little like leveling marks type thing, also there were quite a few notches along the binding as well. Mainly tho the crack was the dealbreaker for me. I feel for that kind of money it should be near to flawless. Real shame to as she was a real player.

I`m very happy to hear that this probably is a one off problem :)

the red marks may have just cleaned up with a little naphtha - but why bother, the crack looks like the guitar went through a temperature change and worth sending back

(hopefully the wood was dry enough when the made it that would be a Gibson issue instead of a shipping storeage issue)

Many dealers do not open and inspect their stock, if they did we'd see a lot less posts like this.

Everybody cuts up a guitar that's hanging in the shop but at least you know what you have in your hands.

Thomann seems pretty big over in the UK, I won't be surprised if they fix you up.

In my opinion, the crack wasn't even there until quality control check and packaging. It might have appeared weeks later with progressing finish shrinkage. For the same reason, machine heads, toggle switch, pots and jacks come loose within the first months and call for careful retightening of screws and nuts.

Anyway, for me the crack would clearly be a reason for returning the guitar.

My guess on the red remains is they came from buffing compound as posted above. They should have been rejected by the quality control and removed I think.

I often dealed with Thomann, partly via web and partly in person. They are located about 280 km from here. Their service is outstanding, no reason for complaints since years and dozens of orders.

I tried to wipe the red marks off but they did not budge even a little, to me it looked a little like leveling marks type thing, also there were quite a few notches along the binding as well. Mainly tho the crack was the dealbreaker for me. I feel for that kind of money it should be near to flawless. Real shame to as she was a real player.

I`m very happy to hear that this probably is a one off problem :)

There may appear some ripple, bumps and ridges along the bindings. They are treated by hand, in particular between the fret nubs, which on principal can't be done "perfectly". Completely filling up and evening out the tiny gaps between binding and adjacent wood with finish is practically impossible. For the same reason, Gibson guitars and basses with glossy finishes will always show a typical "orange peel" on top and back. All of mine do, it's not a problem.

I cross my fingers for you that you will be fine with the replacement.

I don`t mind scratches and dings... as long as i get to make them myself :P Never encountered these issues before on a new guitar, always been superb out of the box (unless they were used but then one expects it to be what it is, used) at any rate i am feeling fairly optimistic the next one will come in good nick, then i can start adding my own wear on it :)

I am expecting my replacement sometime next week :)

1408340148[/url]' post='1554241']

I don`t mind scratches and dings... as long as i get to make them myself :P Never encountered these issues before on a new guitar, always been superb out of the box (unless they were used but then one expects it to be what it is, used) at any rate i am feeling fairly optimistic the next one will come in good nick, then i can start adding my own wear on it :)

I am expecting my replacement sometime next week :)

I tend to agree, out of the box I do want my guitar to be spotless, that is because the only funk I want on my guitars is funk that happens for me. That being said, I have just purchased my first used Paul ever, so I am expecting it to have some previous owner funk on it. I have seen the pics and know what to expect. Being that I know photos can over exagerate flaws, I expect it to look better in person, although even in the photos it doesn't look to bad. Then I can start adding my own funkification... Lol

I took my Traditional from off the wall, the day it was put up. I kept checking back and checking back, they didn't have any that felt right. I found my Lightburst Traditional and fell in love that day at the store, the wife and I got it home. I noticed a few small things, tiny lil knick above the pickguard screw hole, and a little left over paint on the binding on the butt of the guitar. At first I didn't know what it was, then realized it matched the finish of the guitar and clued in after watching the factory tour that they paint over the binding and then scrape it. All part of some of the hand crafted aspects of these guitars, maybe it was a Monday...or the day after St. Patty's? lol

Was it sent UPS? I used to work for UPS and the guys who load their trucks are notorious for tossing packages into the trailers, I remember seeing laptops come through ( you could tell by the company name, size and weight of the package it was a laptop)and if the guy was pissed off that day they would hurl them Frisbee style into the trailer! I'm sure Gibson insured it and will honor it's return for a replacement, but sending through UPS is never a good idea..USPS is far worse!! I sell on eBay have been since 2004 and USPS has lost so many of my packages I lost count! I think their employees are thieves, They lost a stripped down Squire Strat I sent...it never did turn up, and since I did not insure it, they did nothing!

It was sent with ups, i have no say in what it gets shipped with unfortunately. It did have first a thomann box, then the gibson box and in there the gibson case, alltho there was some small damage here and there on it but nothing that should have warranted that kind of damage.

So far every single time something has been shipped with Ebay`s global shipping program (generally usps that brings it to Greece) it has come broken. on top of that they charge money for fudge all on top of it. Generally i stay as far away from anything that has to do with that as possible, don`t have much experience with ups so couldn`t say really

Archived