Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for advice on my LP 2014

Guitar Man'66

Having recently become the proud owner of a new L P traditional ,I'm wondering if I should be concerned that the binding edge around the body isn't 100% flush between the face edge and the body of the guitar. There's a very slight ridge which you can feel by running you're finger along the edging,this ridge pretty much runs the whole length around the body of the guitar. TBH I'm not sure if it's the binding itself or that the face and body aren't quite matched up correctly. Is this normal for this type of LP? As there's a similar type of finish along the neck both on the top and bottom edge. I don't have a problem with this but I'd like to know if it's part of the look and feel ie: how a traditional is made...Any help is much appreciated

No problem. All of my Gibson LPs have this ridge, USA and Custom Shop as well. This is due to the nitro finish which also causes the legendary orange peel on all of my high-gloss Gibsons.

My Epiphone Les Paul is smooth due to having a poly finish.

No problem. All of my Gibson LPs have this ridge, USA and Custom Shop as well. This is due to the nitro finish which also causes the legendary orange peel on all of my high-gloss Gibsons.

My Epiphone Les Paul is smooth due to having a poly finish.

Cheers capmaster that's good to know it's nothing major and just part of the character of the guitar..

Most of the Gibsons with binding on the body are that way. The paint color is sprayed on, then the paint is scraped off manually from the binding to expose the binding. Clear coats are then sprayed on and polished...thus the minor difference in the level of paint. [biggrin]

Binding on the neck is usually smooth. If not I just use a popsicle stick with 600 grit sandpaper and level the paint; then finish with polishing compound.

Most of the Gibsons with binding on the body are that way. The paint color is sprayed on, then the paint is scraped off manually from the binding to expose the binding. Clear coats are then sprayed on and polished...thus the minor difference in the level of paint. [biggrin]

Binding on the neck is usually smooth. If not I just use a popsicle stick with 600 grit sandpaper and level the paint; then finish with polishing compound.

Thanks for your insight kaicho,thats a big help

Archived