Gibson Brands Forums

Purchased a Gibson SG-Z Today

RevDavidLee

My friend (and owner of Crazy Horse guitars here in Des Moines, Iowa) called me during supper time this evening and told me he had gotten in an SG-Z and asked if I was interested. I asked him how much - he said $450. My first question was obvious - "what's wrong with it & does it still have a neck?" He laughed and said it has some minor scuffs and a tiny nick and a couple small dents but that the guy had taken out the stock pickups and replaced them with EMG's. I'm like WHAT?????

So I ate my supper really fast and drove over to check it out and upon inspection - bought it on the spot. The price included the OHSC as you can see in the photo. The plastic cap on the toggle switch was also missing but I believe I have one in my workshop. I just took a quick photo and now I'm going to go see if I can find that toggle cap and do an internet search to purchase the original intended pickups to put back in there and get rid of those EMGs (not a fan of those).

I'll most likely have to drop a couple hundred more into this to get it back to its original configuration but I believe I still scored one hell of a deal. Why people jack up a limited run of these hard to find special SG-Zs is a mystery to me but I'm happy he did because I bought it for a song because he devalued the girl. I'll take come more photos later or tomorrow and keep you posted as to my progress. I'm very excited! [love]

GibsonSGZ_zps40064d6b.jpg

Congrats, Rev, beautiful 24 fret axe, love the finish colour and the nice case, too. [thumbup]

I cross my fingers for finding yourself parts matching stock equipment. Is there any way for contacting the pre-owner(s)? And I hope there's no routing for a battery case in case the EMGs are active ones.

Congrats, Rev, beautiful 24 fret axe, love the finish colour and the nice case, too. [thumbup]

I cross my fingers for finding yourself parts matching stock equipment. Is there any way for contacting the pre-owner(s)? And I hope there's no routing for a battery case in case the EMGs are active ones.

The EMGs are active ones and thankfully he did not route out any existing cavities or create any new ones to accommodate the battery (see pic below). The other stupid thing about having that battery under the back plate is that it doesn't completely fit so the guy used a longer screw to hold down the plate as much as possible but it wasn't flush - stuck up about an 1/8th of an inch. [cursing]

And no the previous owner cannot be contacted currently (asked the store owner that when I got there to buy this SG) as he is in jail for "domestic abuse". (A real moron all the way around if you ask me) [thumbdn]

GibsonSGZbackplate_zps1a99846b.jpg

Nice deal looks like the single coil will be hard to find http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/z.html

You are right about that! I've already ordered the bridge pickup from Sweetwater, along with replacement knobs and a toggle switch cap but found out rather quickly that it doesn't appear the neck pickup is going to be an easy find. I've been all over the internet already. I did shoot an email to Gibson asking them where and "if" I can get a replacement and also contacted Seymour Duncan to see if they have a product that will fit as a viable replacement in the event Gibson cannot provide one or tell me how to get ahold of that neck pup.

Thankfully that is the only part that I don't have a quick solution for so far. Hopefully that will change once I hear back from those companies. All I know for certain is that I want those EMGs out of there. [thumbup]

ANOTHER Guitar???! [scared] Nope, I'm not even going to ask "how many!" [flapper][biggrin]

Looks like a Fun SG, though! I can hardly wait, to see what you get, NEXT?! [blink][biggrin]

CB

For the price I paid for this - you and everyone else would have jumped on it [biggrin]

The bigger problem is having done business with many people in town since I was 12 years old means that every single one of them knows what I like and when they get something in they know I'm interested in - they text me and include photos which is like a worm on a hook to a catfish [crying]

Muha ha ha hahahahahahahahaha [blink] :huh: [smile]

The bigger problem is having done business with many people in town since I was 12 years old means that every single one of them knows what I like and when they get something in they know I'm interested in - they text me and include photos which is like a worm on a hook to a catfish [crying]

Muha ha ha hahahahahahahahaha [blink] :huh: [smile]

I suggest you move and tell nobody your new address. [rolleyes]

I suggest you move and tell nobody your new address. [rolleyes]

I'd have to get a new cell phone number. Too many girls have my number and that makes my phone number "priceless". I don't just get photos of guitars sent to me Bro [biggrin]

Here's some more photos. Started tearing into the guitar this morning. Taking some measurements for finding a replacement for that neck pickup which is no longer available according to Gibson. Sighhh [unsure]

SGZsinglecoilmeasurment_zps45ac926a.jpg

SGZsinglecoil_zps948b3f5a.jpg

[confused] David, what's that screw or "hole?" on the back of the upper horn? Did the previous

owner relocate the strap button, up there? (No biggie, just curious.) <_<

CB

Sorry for interfering here, the SG-Z's upper strap knob location originally was on the back of the upper horn. Someone relocated it to the neck joint obviously.

Very cool SG Rev.

I get that you are trying to get it back as close to original as possible, but if it were mine (especially since the neck pup maybe next to impossible to track down) I would be awfully tempted to put a P90 in there and call it a day.

Between you posting new acquisitions and Rabs posting the new offerings like that lovely new Epi (as well as his builds) it can be terrible browsing through this forum, the GAS is killer.

But keep up the good work.

Johnny

Sorry for interfering here, the SG-Z's upper strap knob location originally was on the back of the upper horn. Someone relocated it to the neck joint obviously.

Yes - just another one of his infamous mods to a highly collectible guitar [cursing]

P.S. No apology needed brother [thumbup]

Very cool SG Rev.

I get that you are trying to get it back as close to original as possible, but if it were mine (especially since the neck pup maybe next to impossible to track down) I would be awfully tempted to put a P90 in there and call it a day.

Between you posting new acquisitions and Rabs posting the new offerings like that lovely new Epi (as well as his builds) it can be terrible browsing through this forum, the GAS is killer.

But keep up the good work.

Johnny

Thanks my northern brother but a P-90 would only fit if I routed out the pick guard and the body cavity underneath it. My preference is not to do that. I did shoot an email to the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop & told them what I wanted. I'll be surprised if they can't fix me up. :)

Yes - just another one of his infamous mods to a highly collectible guitar [cursing]

P.S. No apology needed brother [thumbup]

Thank you for that. I agree I wouldn't have modded that, too. I think I also will never do this mod the other way round on my SGs although I feel badly tempted from time to time... [crying]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived