Gibson Brands Forums

Changing tuners on a Historic '58...

Danjel

What's you guys' opinion on changing the tuners on a 2003 Historic 58 LP from original Klusons, to the better Grover Rotomatics? No modifications have to be made to the guitar in form of drilling or anything...

The guitar is being played and was not bought for collection even though it is a very special custom order guitar according to the guys Custom Shop.

The guitar will be completely reversable. As is, the guitar holds terrible tuning. Still, is it a bad idea?

post-24771-018399000 1408015700_thumb.jpg

Tuning stability issues are SELDOM caused by the tuners. The culprit is most often the nut.

Before changing out the tuning machines I would have the nut checked, filed, dressed, etc.

Can confirm that from here. As for my guitars, it never was a machine head problem.

I have put Grovers on many Historics. I like the look and feel of them. I have even had them factory installed on custom orders. Until recently the Kluson tuner tips just had a terrible color. They are much better looking now, but I still prefer Grovers. Get the ones that have the holes that line up so you don't have to drill any screw holes. My opinion is "Do it".

• 8 months later...

Tone Pro's has very well made Kluson replacement tuners. I have a set on my '04 R9. If you want a better tuning machine and don't want to alter the stock look of the guitar try those - but the suggestion that your nut may be the source of your guitars inability to hold tune is probably right - have a good tech go over the nut, file it for the string gage you are using and see if that does'nt make those tuning issues go away, generally that will do the trick - if your nut is already filed too low, get a new one made, bone nuts are very nice on historic LP's.

Archived