Gibson Brands Forums

ES355 neck profiles?

SteveFord

I have a Lucille which has a monster fat neck on it, presumably for BB King's monster hands.

My ES335 Satin has a much thinner neck profile.

For you lucky 355 owners, what is the neck profile like: big fat monster or slim 60s style?

I haven't played an ES with the 50s neck. But I know that I dislike the super fat necks Gibson put on the R7 Les Pauls I once had.

What Gibson calls "60s Slim", as on my 2011 ES-345, is just perfect for me. It's not super slim, and it's nicely rounded. I had a Yamaha SA2200 which felt too slim for me.

Funnily enough Charlie Gelber (http://www.es-335.org) wrote a blog on vintage 355 neck profiles a couple of weeks ago, making the point that the 355 went to the shallow, '60s profile some time before the 335, and only the earliest '59s have the classic '50s profile. Whether the modern versions follow the originals would be another matter of course.

I have a Lucille which has a monster fat neck on it, presumably for BB King's monster hands.

The BB King Custom (which subsequently became the Lucille model) I used to own did not have a particularly corpulent neck.

I've owned a bunch of ES-355's over the years; while they varied in neck profile, none struck me as being "monster fat" or even

out-of-the-ordinary large.

Danny W.

my 335 has a 60's neck profile which I didn't like, much preferred my r7 goldtops 50's neck but I just got my 335 setup by another shop after two other shops tried and told me that was it set up , i just couldn't bond with the guitar before but the recent setup has turned my 335 into a guitar I now want to play.

I don't find it too hard to switch between the two neck styles but I prefer the beefier 50's style, if my funds would allow I would be searching out a 335 with a 50's neck but I can dream for the time being.

derekr

Thanks for that 335 link, it was in interesting read.

I always find it odd with the 33x series that the most sought after ones are the ones that were originally the least expensive. I must be weird, I'd rather have the ebony board and fancy schmancy bits.

Archived