Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi's

cliffmac

I bought my Epiphone Texan in 1967 for $169 (with a semi hardshell case = cardboard case). At the time, I thought it was better than my Gibby ES-335 and my Martin D35. In graduate school, I had to sell them all. In the 1960s, Epiphones seemed to be the equals of Gibsons, but at a lower price and lesser prestige. I'm not proud of having scoffed Epiphones and Guilds in my youth. My peer group was definitely label-conscious.

I bought my Epiphone Texan in 1967 for $169 (with a semi hardshell case = cardboard case). At the time, I thought it was better than my Gibby ES-335 and my Martin D35. In graduate school, I had to sell them all. In the 1960s, Epiphones seemed to be the equals of Gibsons, but at a lower price and lesser prestige. I'm not proud of having scoffed Epiphones and Guilds in my youth. My peer group was definitely label-conscious.

Jeffery... don't feel to bad... I scoffed at Epiphones my entire 64 years of playing guitar for a living until I bought my Epiphone Lucille in 2012. Bought it on a whim that it appealed to me visually.

After it arrived I was impressed so much by it right out of the box that I sent it to this country's finest builder / repairman and had him completely redo the entire instrument only because I now wanted it to stand up to the Gibson version which it now does in every important category except resale which I obviously don't care about in this particular guitar.

Then I bought my Masterbilt DR500MNA and I bonded so immediately with it like no other acoustic guitar in my entire playing career

that I retired my 11,000 dollar Martin Custom shop 000-45 to it's display case.

I stand humbly corrected about my "headstock" attitude and I love them both so much I sold off almost every "famous brand" guitar I owned and kept these two Epiphones and my Martin and a 50's Stratocaster.

That's how impressive my two Epiphones are to me.

Archived