Gibson Brands Forums

epi g400 issues

iommysg

Hey everyone,

i need help with my g400, the frets are buzzing like crazy but only on the high e its nothing to do with the nut or the pegs and only happens when playing up between 12 and 17th frets i think its an un level fret but im unsure, any tips are welcome.

But if there are any guitar techs in south wales area give me a holler.

cheers

Hey everyone,

i need help with my g400, the frets are buzzing like crazy but only on the high e its nothing to do with the nut or the pegs and only happens when playing up between 12 and 17th frets i think its an un level fret but im unsure, any tips are welcome.

cheers

if it's pinging out on those notes on that string then it's probably a high or uneven frets. could be something as simple as adding some relief to the truss rod.

Hey everyone,

cheers

With only the high E affected, I would suspect a fret end might be pulling up. If you can find a small, very straight piece of metal, you can check if it rocks back and forth on any set of three frets where the high E sits. If it does, the fret would be the culprit. You can try adding a small bit of relief by loosening the truss rod 1/4 turn, but if you go too far you'll get fret buzz in other areas. I've found that SG type necks are very sensitive to neck relief and tend to get buzzing on the G around the 3rd to 7th frets if you loosen it too much. If you have no luck with that, you could try raising the bridge a tiny bit on the high side. Do you have any major fret wear in that area? That will definitely cause buzzing too.

Here is how to check for a high fret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7NBER6N60

you can also just use a credit card or other similar strait edge.

once you have checked the frets for any high ones ... hopefully there won't be any and you can rule it out as a source of buzz and you can have a look at the setup. -but if there is a high fret, it has often just popped up a bit and you can tap or squeeze it back down as long as you do it carefully (I use a small hammer and a small block of wood), if it is fully down already and is simply just high, you can file it and polish it into shape. ...we can cross that bridge when it comes to it, if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived