Gibson Brands Forums

Some excitement last night

ksdaddy

Re: Dad's 4X4 trade-in.

I was trying to sell cars when your current Blazer (T-Blazer?) was new.

When any 4x4 entered the lot, you should have seen the salesmen scramble. Each and every one had a 'list' of potential buyers for the yet to be traded truck.

Sold before Dad left the lot with the new one? Mores the likely it was sold before your dad's tail lights crossed the curb heading INTO the new car lot.

4X4's back in the 80's were hot, Hot, HOT!

In my short tenure at car sales, I sold a short wheelbase, conversion van to a newly wed couple, he 52, she 22, they had a beat up K-Blazer. Not an un-rotted panel on it, ugly dog s&&t brown. As I had no prospects for a used 4x4, some other salesman had a customer on the line that was all, "I'll take it!" while the owner's new Missus was just test driving the van.

I hate to say this, but I'd say that the young woman - at 25 you should be long past being considered a child - could benefit from a few years or more in prison. Prison is not a good place anywhere, but it's better than a graveyard. It offers a possibility of rehab if a person wants, or a more rapid ticket to the graveyard or more years in prison.

Yeah, I sound cynical, but let's face it, a lot of us on this forum have been making our own way long before age 25. From my experience watching such stuff, it's hard on parents regardless, but I'm convinced that the pen is better than the grave. The drug/booze combo can lead to a lot more than what you're seeing; it's an "escape" that damages everyone.

Good luck on the engine and whatever else.

If you haven't talked to the prosecuting attorney, it wouldn't be inappropriate to do so. I'd say you may or may not want to file civil action for the damage that by most current criteria would consider your vehicle "totalled." You don't want to be a community "bad guy" in a small town, so that may play a role in any comments or involvement in charges.

Different states have different criminal laws for such a theft. If her rap sheet is coming into a third felony or more, it may bring also a "habitual criminal" charge such as in my state. Frankly that may be the best to save her life and probably someone else's as well.

m

• Haha 1

The deputy came to interview me and take a statement the other night, just stating I had not given anyone permission and that it ran fine. Everyone has told me I won't get a nickel out of her but he said restitution will be part of her probation conditions and if she fails to pay, that's a probation violation and she could go off (or back) to jail.

I'm just thankful nobody got hurt or killed, her or anyone in her path.

The story gets weirder. The deputy told me that she "ran out of gas" (it had a half tank and was only driven a total of about 40 miles according to my memory) and was on the side of the road... I have no idea why she was on the side of the road and/or thought she was out of gas or PRETENDED to be. She was stopped alongside the road regardless.

A good sam stopped to help. He went to his house and got her a can of gas.

The good sam was an off duty US Customs/Border Patrol agent.

Cupla things to think about...

1. do you know the specific charge? Are the police "finished" with the vehicle in their investigation? Have you checked it for possible drugs/paraphernalia?

2. You might find out more at the courthouse. Supposedly the "probable cause affadavit" should be a public record in most U.S. states, and that would define a minimum of what it is she is being charged for - even if there is no other paperwork such as an actual charge. But there should be some official charge also within several days of arrest. The "probable cause" likely would tell more about the arrest.

m

glad you found an engine reasonably priced....

we had a '92 "Jimmy" 4.3L (same truck) for years and it was still rolling strong with 450,000+ miles on it...only smoked when 1st cranked (valve guides).

always heard the 2.8 was a 305 missing the front 2 cylinders, and the 4.3 a 350 w/o the front 2.......

both are great engines!

Evidently she has several charges but he said the one with my car is the strongest and easiest one for them.

It won't be Grand Theft Auto because in Maine they have to prove a car was stolen with the intent to sell or strip, not just a joyride.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever.

I did ask him for a copy of the report and he said he'd email it to me. Her court date is in October and at that time she will probably just enter a plea on the charges. The Blazer will be back up long before then. Bender I do like the 2.8 as far as dependability and smoothness but this particular vehicle is geared all wrong. It never should have had an automatic with overdrive. It's really anemic on the hills. Otherwise I'd drive it to Hades and back.

KS...

Yeah, the "joyriding and destroying the car ain't grand theft" clause, formal or informal. That's kinda followed in communities with large minority populations around here too - usually near reservation communities.

m

"... someone who knows her and he said she's "not a bad person" but has a long history of drug and alcohol abuse and allegedly was scheduled to enter into a local 30 day rehab. She also 'talks to people who aren't there'..."

Now there are a set of words that don't belong in the same paragraph.

... Not a bad person

vs.

History of drug abuse

history of alcohol abuse

Just sayin'.

I'd have no trouble putin' one of these away. I've done it before and I'd do it again. They get by with it for so long as good citizens just don't want to see someone suffer, or they try to look for the 'good' in someone. I know I was one of those good citizens myself, ... not anymore.

But at some point you just get fed up or they hurt a family member or they invade your property, you just gotta take a stand and..., stand your ground.

Nope, you'll never see monetary compensation, but one has to stand up to childish stupidity that degrades the neighborhood.

From the physical description of her fall from grace, I'd say hillbilly heroin is the likely medication of choice. If it's in the 'hood, locking doors and keeping an eye on your kids is now part of your reality, whether you realize it or not.

To be brutally honest, if she did someone else damage,... real damage with your vehicle and you didn't secure it so as to not be stolen... you the owner could be held responsible for other people's damage, especially if you have a steady job, are a responsible citizen with assets.

Think about it.

That's why the sheriff asked if you okay'ed the theft. Even so, if she'd have killed someone, you'd be living in a van down by the river after the sheriff's auction.

It appears to jean-de-arms is taking point on this and you're just a witness. Let the law sort her out and let the chips fall where they may, but don't minimize her actions that adversely affected you.

• 1 month later...

I got the Blazer back last Saturday. The first engine was delivered long ago. My mechaninc put it in and it ran fine for a few minutes, then made a horrific squeal and then began knocking. Gerry figured it had probably sat on a shelf a long time and a rod bearing was stuck to the crank.

*sigh*

I emailed the junkyard and they were SOOOOO nice about it. I explained my plight and they could have told me to pound sand or demand I ship the 'bad' engine back. Instead they shipped out another V-6 the next day. It was a newer engine and they even provided info on what had ot be changed to make it fit. Top notch all the way and here's a shameless plug for them:

https://www.facebook.com/DingsAuto

So the new engine was installed. $50 for the tow, $650 for the engine, and $871 for all labor and related costs (gaskets, fluids, etc). Gerry was very apologetic about the labor bill and I'm sure he 'forgot' to tally up several hours. I picked up the Blazer, handed him ten $100's and told him I rounded up. He just wadded it into his pocket without counting. I'm sure it was a pleasant surprise and I was more than happy to 'tip' him.

So for a while I'm 'upside down' with the Blazer, having more into it than it's worth. That feeling will wane if I drive it six months or a year with no repairs. Been there with most all of my cars.

This winter is up for grabs though. The Corvette and the '57 will be parked in my mother's barn, my '82 Ford pickup will likely be taken off the road permanently since it's not very safe and has outlived it's predicted life span by several years... leaving the Blazer.

My commute is 55 miles one way. I can (and will) use the Blazer but it's grossly underpowered and the long hills make for a long frustrating drive. A couple weeks ago I bought a 2000 Honda Civic from a buddy for $1000 and figured that would be my commuter. I crawled underneath to fix some rust and found it to be getting weak in more spots than I felt like dealing with. I'm too old to be laying underneath an old car with a rivet gun. I've paid those dues time and again and I just said "no more." I flipped it at a $400 profit.

Maybe I'll pick up a big fat LeSabre so I can enjoy the ride.

I feel for you and I feel sorry for the girl too, but do her a favor and don't let her get away with this. I had a similar experience.

A young guy maybe early 20's ran a stop sign and hit my wife's eight month old car that was parked in our driveway. He was spinning his wheels when I came out of the house trying to back out, but he was caught up on a stack of logs he had ran over. He had been drinking and was begging me to not call the police, saying he would pay for the damage. Too late for that, the neighbors had called them when they heard the crash.

The cops showed up and took him away and towed the guy's truck out of our driveway. My wife's car was drive-able but badly damaged, about $5,000 worth. People who knew the guy told us he was a nice boy, just drank too much. We let the insurance company fight the court case and we just stayed out of it. We heard afterwards he cleaned up his act and gave up drinking.

Looking at the crash site afterwards we realized that if his truck had been just one foot over to the right, a tree branch could have taken his head off. As it was, his truck roof scraped the branch, but the ground was lower where his wheels hit.

Glad to hear the Blazer is on the road again and no one was hurt. As for the girl. She will probably be charged with receiving stolen property, which in this case is a felony. Unless she admits she stole the vehicle, or their is a witness to the theft, she will not be charged with the theft. If she was found by the police in control of the vehicle, she will be charged with OVI. The court will probably order her to pay restitution, so keep your receipts. Most likely she will not pay you anything. Do not feel bad about not dropping the charges, she needs to answer for her lack of respect for you and the general public. If she does not wise up, someone may get seriously hurt or killed by her actions while impaired. A side note about leaving keys in cars. It is a parking violation, called unattended motor vehicle. Good luck.

Kenny V

MR. DADDY:

This isn't the first time I have seem you act the forgiving type. I wish more men were like you.

In my opinion, stuff like this is really the definition of being a REAL man. I have the greatest of respect for you.

I think there is some real wisdom on some of these post. The young woman needs help. Regardless of if she would choose it. Sometimes getting "busted" is the only way it happens.

I think it's possible that in her case, putting her in the can would not hurt her. If she already has a rap sheet, it doesn't alter her future to have one more. If this is her life on the "outs", she is already in a prison.

I mean to say that if she is on a downward spiral and there seems little hope, it might be the most compassionate thing to do as opposed to being unforgiving or harsh.

Just thoughts to share on my part. I don't really know her. You know more than me.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not exactly pure as the driven snow so sometimes it's hard for me to be hard nosed about it even though I'm pretty sure this girl needs a kick in the butt of some sort.

The more I think about that nights' events, the more I am convinced the hardest, saddest part was talking with her father. He clearly felt bad about it all and really didn't know what to say or do. Being the father of two girls, 24 and 22, I can't begin to imagine what would be going through my head if one of them got into a scrape like that and I had to face the victim, even for a few moments such as we did.

She screwed up and needs to make it right but I also pray for her. She's got her whole life ahead of her.

Back in '97 I went into work a few minutes late and tried to prank a co-worker, stammering, shaking, and being all apologetic because "I accidentally scraped his new Bronco as I was backing into my parking place and I feel SOOOO bad and....."

I hadn't hit his truck at all, I just wanted to joke him.

He was unfazed. He just shrugged and said, "It's just a machine."

I never, ever forgot that!

I've known more than a few folks who had their lives saved by a year or more in jail or the pen. Drugs and booze cause more problems than just those brought by the immediate ingestion effects on the individual involved. One hopes that getting folks out of the whole "rhythm" of that stuff helps - and often it does. Unfortunately, it doesn't always help.

Good luck on the new mill, though.

m

I sure hope things work out for you.

I have been reading your posts about this.

Must have to say, you are much more forgiving than I could ever be.

I just cant tolerate drinking,and or drugs and driving. Hopefully she will learn a very valuable lesson from this, and change her ways before some one does get hurt or killed, or even at the least, having to deal with some one not as understanding as your self. I think she was Very lucky in the sense that you are understanding.

Even with this bad set of circumstances the girl has already come out ahead. She could have trashed the motor, & the vehicle, & herself, & someone else!

Compared to what could have been, the actual results of her actions will be a lot easier to live with. I'm not being hardnosed...rather just counting blessings.

Let's hope she can gather enough of her faculties to do the same.

It's hard to see bad things happen to people, & worse to see them do it to themselves. Maybe this will be the best step toward getting her the help she needs.

I feel for everyone involved because I've seen firsthand what substance abuse & mental illness can do to a family.

My father drank himself to death & my step-dad is bi-polar. The worst part is feeling so helpless. ](*,)

Sometimes you just have to let events run their course & hope for the best.

It seems to me (& most everyone else, judging by the replies) you've been more than fair & understanding throughout. What more could one ask? [thumbup]

Σß

The Deputy just left here. I had texted him a few days ago telling him I had the final bills. Slow night; we bullsh***ed for almost an hour, everything from dogs to Crown Vics. I gave him the final bills so he can turn them over to the DA's office. Her charges are "violation of conditions of release" as she was already OUT ON BAIL for another charge, "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle" for the theft itself, and "criminal mischief" because of the damage. Her court date is in November I guess.

The Deputy just left here. I had texted him a few days ago telling him I had the final bills. Slow night; we bullsh***ed for almost an hour, everything from dogs to Crown Vics.

Panther was one of the best platforms ever, and it was definitely the most profitable. Why they ended that I will never understand. Sold all our Ford stock because of that.

rct

Panther was one of the best platforms ever, and it was definitely the most profitable. Why they ended that I will never understand. Sold all our Ford stock because of that.

rct

Alan Mulally, newly appointed CEO of FoMoCo attended his first meeting with the sales dept.

The perfectly coifed, pearly toothed sales managers all extolled the postiveness of Ford Sales.

Mulally asked what was Fords most profitable line. "Taurus" was the answer. "That's fantastic, how many did we make last year?" Veep of the sales department told him the number. Then Mulally asked, "How many are we going to sell next year?" Looking a bit sheepish, the veep replied, "None. You see we dropped that model for next year in favor of ..."

Mulally, said, "YOU WHAT?" >end of meeting<

Before the sun set new, "Taurus" name badges were ordered for the impending model year.

Had Mulally not done his job, FoMoCo would have been there right next to GM with it's corporate hand out.

Check his resume. He is a bona fide rocket engineer. Apparently, knowing enough to continue selling folks what they want, especially when it makes the company a boat load of money is Rocket Science.

Mulally's 'retired' now. I can't wait to see what he does with "Tesla".

• 6 years later...

I know this is a very old thread but it bears updating.

Everyone and their grandmother's dog said I'd never get a nickel out of the girl. The judgement was for $1600 and over the years she has paid just about $1400 of it. Sometimes $20 at a time, but she paid most of it. When she would go several months without paying, the DA's office would call and threaten to bring her in front of the judge and she'd find a few bucks.

She worked in a the deli dept of a local convenience store a couple years ago. I stopped in for gas one day while she was out on a smoke break. Her eyes got really big when she saw the Blazer. There are no '88 S-10 Blazers on the road around here except for mine. I made no gesture or sign that I even knew who she was. I wasn't about to rub her face in it.

The Blazer is still on the road. It's not my primary vehicle but as long as it will start and move, it has a place here.

As for Anna.... she overdosed the other night. She won't be stealing anything anymore.

8 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I know this is a very old thread but it bears updating.

Everyone and their grandmother's dog said I'd never get a nickel out of the girl. The judgement was for $1600 and over the years she has paid just about $1400 of it. Sometimes $20 at a time, but she paid most of it. When she would go several months without paying, the DA's office would call and threaten to bring her in front of the judge and she'd find a few bucks.

She worked in a the deli dept of a local convenience store a couple years ago. I stopped in for gas one day while she was out on a smoke break. Her eyes got really big when she saw the Blazer. There are no '88 S-10 Blazers on the road around here except for mine. I made no gesture or sign that I even knew who she was. I wasn't about to rub her face in it.

The Blazer is still on the road. It's not my primary vehicle but as long as it will start and move, it has a place here.

As for Anna.... she overdosed the other night. She won't be stealing anything anymore.

Dammit KS, I was hoping for a better ending. Prayers for Anna,Her faith is known only to God.