Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Flying V's

The Rhone

Good evening all.

Have a bit of a question, I have to Gibson V's, one has a 500T in the bridge and the other has a Dirty Fingers.

I recently got a Les Paul Studio with the 498T, I was amazed at how well they sounded and since then I've noticed that the V's sound a little thin.

Are there any opinions on how a 498T would sound in the V's, I play SPace Rock/Metal, which has a classic Rock/metal feel, into a Marshall DSL 100, with a MXR GT OD and MXR Super Bad *** Distortion.

I've noticed that the V's sound a little thin.

IMO, it's because of the V shape. Both my V and Explorer have a 500T. Although they have the same electronics Explorer has a way fatter and deeper sound.

I do realise that there is a tone difference between the guitars. But I am focusing on the Pick ups themselves.

Try a pair of 57's or BBucker. 2014 V models come with them.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I swapped the ceramics out from my 1991 V straight way, and replaced with alnico for more warmth. The ceramics are too harsh for me, unless you only play heavy rock. A 498T is a good compromise; alnico V magnet, but high output (around 14k).

You will get a slightly thinner sound than that of a LP; I put that down to the V pups being mounted on the scratchplate, and lack of a maple cap on the body. I compensate by wiring it with master vol and 2 tones, and playing the neck pup with most of the top rolled off, at around 4/10. Works for me on blues rock stuff.

I took out the ceramics and put in a pair of Shaws in my V. They actually sounded a little thin so I tried a pair of 57's that I had lying around. It was the set that came out of my 2013 Traditional, the 57/57+. Man, that thing rocks, now! The Shaws measure at about 7.25, the 57's are about 8.25 and 8.4 I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all.

Have a bit of a question, I have to Gibson V's, one has a 500T in the bridge and the other has a Dirty Fingers.

I recently got a Les Paul Studio with the 498T, I was amazed at how well they sounded and since then I've noticed that the V's sound a little thin.

Are there any opinions on how a 498T would sound in the V's, I play SPace Rock/Metal, which has a classic Rock/metal feel, into a Marshall DSL 100, with a MXR GT OD and MXR Super Bad *** Distortion.

I put a Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-5) in the bridge of my flying V and a '59 (SH-1n) in the neck. Very deep and punchy in both positions (actually verging on too bassy with my Orange amp). Much nicer and less harsh than the stock 500T. Although the Custom is ceramic it really does sound like an overwound PAF. Great for heavy blues too and pretty nice clean.

I had the 498t in the bridge of a Les Paul Studio I used to own and really liked it although it has a very unique, gritty character. Great for distorted Led Zep stuff. Mabye not so good as a canvas for cleaner rock. But I agree with others that the Les Paul itself is responsible for a lot of the "grunt" you hear in that guitar.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I put a "57 Classic +" in the bridge on my V and it's pretty great. Does it blow my mind? No. But it sounds like what you'd expect a hot Gibson to - Supposedly the 57+ has extra windings or something. I regret not slamming a raunchy Teisco pickup in there for a more individual sound, though. At the end of the day, it sounds like a hot Gibson, which is pretty great but not exactly fascinating. I agree with whoever also found the original pickups to sound thin ...but I kept the neck - it has a weird quacky quality that's great for blues and surf. Every guitar is different.

I put a "57 Classic +" in the bridge on my V and it's pretty great. Does it blow my mind? No. But it sounds like what you'd expect a hot Gibson to - Supposedly the 57+ has extra windings or something. I regret not slamming a raunchy Teisco pickup in there for a more individual sound, though. At the end of the day, it sounds like a hot Gibson, which is pretty great but not exactly fascinating. I agree with whoever also found the original pickups to sound thin ...but I kept the neck - it has a weird quacky quality that's great for blues and surf. Every guitar is different.

So now you have 496R + '57+ combo on your V? Howdo thwy match together, talking about output level? Aren't they unbalanced?

I can also try the SD '59+JB combo, or just 496R+JB. I don't think that the '59, which is a neck pickup, could pair nicely in the bridge with the 496R in the neck (set down low, though).

Archived