Gibson Brands Forums

Should I go ahead with it?

cutter

Hi all,

40-year old newbie here, only a few months into the world of guitar playing. I bought my first guitar back in March; it was a cheap Fender Squier, the idea being that I didn’t want to spend a fortune buying a really nice or expensive guitar when I didn’t know whether guitar playing would stick with me or it would be something that would get out of my system in a few days or months time.

In that short period of time, two things have become crystal clear to me. One, is that I am by no means born to play the guitar and alas I don’t have any kind of special gift in playing, and I chose wisely not to quit my day job to become a guitar player (just kidding!). The second thing is that I am definitely not seeing myself quitting anytime soon. So, to make a long story short, I am entertaining the thought of purchasing what I consider to be the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen, which is the LP Traditional 120 Flame Top.

There are two things on my mind; one being the weight of the guitar (must be double that of my Squier) and most importantly… is it just plain wrong for a newbie who still can’t in all honesty maintain proper finger position when playing power chords, be even thinking of buying such a guitar? I somehow feel like it’d be a sacrilege :) I’ve also seen a somewhat similar post to mine with a poll and it seems like the vast majority of LP owners waited years if not decades before buying one.

Regarding the weight thing, if it makes any difference, I don’t think I’ll ever play standing up or in front of a crowd (I’ll be happy to learn how to play the guitar just for myself and loved ones); as far as the LP is concerned, just the thought of having one makes me tremendously excited but at the same time, there’s a voice inside my head saying that it’s ridiculous to buy such a guitar without at least mastering the basics first. I’d really appreciate your input guys; I know that at the end of the day it’s my money but I’d hate being THAT guy, like a novice driver buying a Ferrari and driving it at 60 mph. Oh, well, now I’m rambling!

Thank you for your time and your answers in advance.

. . . is it just plain wrong for a newbie who still can’t in all honesty maintain proper finger position when playing power chords, be even thinking of buying such a guitar? ... like a novice driver buying a Ferrari and driving it at 60 mph. . . .

Welcome.

This question comes up from time to time. I always answer that there's no reason why a beginner shouldn't have a high quality/price guitar to learn with. And there's always that part of the enjoyment in playing - playing a guitar you really desire. After all, being a student of the guitar is not just learning to play - it's also learning the intricacies of the instrument's workings, quality and costs, including the various additional gear it takes to get the sound you're looking for.

So go ahead and enjoy the hell out it! . B)

I say if you can afford it, go for it. In fact, a Les Paul, set up properly, will possibly make you a better player because it will be easier to play and stay in tune better, which will also make you want to play more because it sounds better. And the more you play, the better you'll get. [biggrin]

Honestly man, I'm not that great of a guitar player and I have a Les Paul Studio and a Les Paul Traditional. When I got my Les Paul Studio I was sooo excited, when I got my Traditional I felt like Wayne and Garth meeting Alice Cooper...

The way I see it is if you have the means to get the guitar of your dreams, and you'll actually play it and treat it right, then get it. It's better than it sitting in some lawyers office in the corner as a piece of art deco or furniture lol.

There are two things on my mind; one being the weight of the guitar

Les Pauls are heavy, it's just part of the territory. The weight is not going to be an issue, they are well balanced.

is it just plain wrong for a newbie who still can’t in all honesty maintain proper finger position when playing power chords, be even thinking of buying such a guitar?

nope. It will only HELP you improve. 1: motivation goes up, cuz, well, you're going to love it, and you're going to play it when ever you can, and 2: it will be much easier to fret notes with good action and a consistent fretboard.

One thing you know for sure, you'll never ask yourself, "have I outgrown this guitar?" That will not happen, ever.

at the end of the day, life's too short man, if that's what you desire, and it's in your $ reach $ just do it. IMO you'll only regret NOT doing it.

After having been lead singer and occasional percussion player in my first band, I started playing guitar for two reasons.

First, since I am no showman, I loved to always have something in my hands and leave the vocal mic in its stand. I felt ashamed for doing nothing between the verses... [blush][rolleyes]

Second, after a very bad discussion had lead to breaking up the band after one and a half years, our rhythm guitar player felt upset after nine years of playing himself and challenged us to keep up with him. As ridiculous it may appear, in my flippancy still remarkable at my age of 21, I bet against him that in less than a year I would be better than him. [scared][omg][unsure]

Six weeks after I bought an old cheap guitar from the lead guitarist of same former band and started playing. Then I founded a new band as composer, lyricist, lead guitarist and lead vocalist another six weeks later. 369 days after the bet both of us gigged for the first time with our new bands at the same event. Another 397 days later I bought his Gibson SG Standard used from him since I wanted a "real" guitar for studio recordings and a nationwide TV show with another band I ran in parallel.

Years came and went, I added a Weimann Blues Bird ES and an Ibanez RG 430 guitar to my arsenal, but it took me more than thirty years until I bought my first Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, and Fender Stratocaster as well. Anyway, the days came when I wanted to play the real things. [biggrin]

As for sacrilege, my playing abilities are mixed, and I guess any guitar in my hand is a sacrilege. [crying] Still learning only by self-education, my chord repertoire is limited to those I reinvented so to say when composing... ;) However, I love the tones of all of my guitars and use them specifically for particular songs. This, and playing the songs of my bandmates and me makes it all worth for me. [thumbup]

Finally, when buying a Gibson Les Paul guitar, I always take care to get one with a one-piece back. I don't like two-piece backs since body and bookmatched top are practically split in half by their congruent seams. :unsure:

My SG Supra also is this kind of guitar, but these were all the same in this respect without different options.

If you are looking for someone to tell you not to do it, you definitely came to the wrong place. lol if you can afford it, get it!

If we all could have afford les pauls earlier we would have, part of the advantage to being older is having the means to buy the guitar you want, instead of struggling for years playing POS guitars, because they were all you could afford. Why not start off with the best of the best!?!?

:-k Let me get this straight, Cutter....you come onto a guitar forum, full of crazed lunatic

guitar players/buyers, who have more guitars than they could ever play, regularly...and

ask IF you should buy another guitar?! [flapper] LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [biggrin][lol] [lol] [lol]

[smile] In all seriousness...Welcome to the "Nut House," and of course you should buy

another guitar! For another "sound" if nothing else. Get your Squire "set-up" properly,

and (if needed) some decent hardware and electronic's, and it should be a great "back up"

for you, or just another great sound.

CB

Lots of great advice here already, but I have something to offer anyway. Do a little research and try out a few guitars. If you are just learning tell people, most guitarists/music store guys will respond positively if you are a new player. It is when you get better they start to judge you and carve you up ;-)

You probably have no idea which neck profile you prefer as an example. There are a few, but mostly you will run across the choice of a 60s or 50s neck profile. Depending on a lot of factors you will probably prefer one over the other. You want the guitar to feel as comfortable as possible when you are contorting your fingers to try to grab those chords. Only one way to find out which is best for you.

What I would advise is going to your local music store and trying out a bunch of Les Pauls and when you find one you like buy a used one. There are a ton of people who are exactly where you are right now go out and buy a brand new LP, become discouraged because it doesn't make them a better player right away and they decide to move on. The used market is very soft in many areas right now and there are a lot of bargains. However if/when you buy a new Les Paul make sure you buy it from the same place you tried them out at, then their time-investment in you will have been worth it.

Here is an example of a guy selling basically a brand new (beautiful)Traditional, asking $2000.00 but will be lucky to get $1500.00 in Vancouver.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/msg/4568760242.html

Quote: "I realized buying this guitar was a mistake (seeing as I dont even play), now I'm desperately trying to get rid of it."

As for feeling guilty, call it a guilty pleasure. IMO treat yourself well; life is short.

Check out YouTube, there are some fantastic people who offer free lessons that will really lessen the slope of the learning curve. Set goals, work hard to attain them and you will get better fast.

Good luck and have fun!

In case you want to buy used, be aware there are counterfeit guitars all around, and don't hesitate to ask for advice here. Lots of forum members have expert eyes spotting fakes easily and will help you in avoiding bad buying experiences.

Sure you should buy a LP, one of the things with a high quality guitar, especially a Gibson, is that they hold their value quite good, you can always get most of the invested money back if you want.

But most important, you only live ones, if you have that chance, do what you find fun in life!

In case you want to buy used, be aware there are counterfeit guitars all around, and don't hesitate to ask for advice here. Lots of forum members have expert eyes spotting fakes easily and will help you in avoiding bad buying experiences.

Thank you, I should have mentioned that.

Gibson did an article on this recently.. and I like the way they put it

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Get-the-Maximum-Out-of-Your-First-Electric.aspx

• Go first class: Buy the best guitar you can afford. Anything less and you’re cheating yourself out of the best playing experience possible. Better guitars have better pickups and other electronics, better tonal properties in their wood, more efficient neck construction and good action, so you can really place the strings at a height above the fretboard that’s right for you. We’d all like to own a ’59 Les Paul Standard, but for those of us with smaller wallets Gibson also has great, dependable and stage worthy guitars that can scream like banshees for well under a “G.” Check out the current online catalog. A couple I’d recommend are the Gibson SGJ, which I’ve loved playing on stage and lists for less than $500, and the Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker 2014, a classic-sounding tone machine.

Wow, I was surely hoping that I would get at least a few votes towards splashing the big cash for the LP even though I'm a beginner but seriously guys, this is truly overwhelming! I mean, I was surely expecting the occasional "go for it" message, but I was almost sure that the general consensus would be to stay out of the big boys game until I learn how to play, so to speak! Guys, all I can say is that you surely helped making my wallet considerably lighter by say, oh some 2500 Euros [biggrin]

A big thanks to all you guys for the vote of confidence, as well as for all the advice given, regarding the LP's considerable weight not being an issue and to look out for fakes if a buy online or second hand etc. I've done my research prior to my original post, nothing comes close to the LP Traditional 120 Flame Top and given that I'm interested in a very specific model in a very specific colour, I wouldn't consider purchasing it second hand; the possibility of finding the exact model, making sure it's not a fake, making sure that the guitar is in good condition and ultimately not having to deal with a seller I don't know; all these are ultimately deal breakers for me. I know that ideally I should walk into a store (many stores would be even better actually) and try it out beforehand but unfortunately I don't live in the States and in Europe things are somewhat different in regards to the number of guitar shops available within range and their guitar model selection. I've demoed an LP Studio which obviously feels sturdier than my Squier but since I have my heart and mind set on the Traditional, I just can't bring myself to purchase the Studio just because its locally available. I know it's not ideal but I will have to resort to purchasing the guitar online from a large European store which is also an official Gibson retailer (not naming names since I don't want to advertise it publicly), so I will have peace of mind regarding the guitar's authenticity and proper after sales support should something go wrong.

Anyway, again, thank you all guys; given the price of the LP Traditional I'll do a little bit more research but it surely looks like in a few weeks time I'll be playing an LP! [biggrin] I promise I'll post pics when the time comes!

I don't think that naming dealers would be considered as an advertisement. Retailers are often mentioned here as forumites share their special experiences with them.

I often bought online and in person at Thomann, Burgebrach, Germany, about 280 kilometers from here, and online also at Music Store Professional, Cologne, Germany. There are three more dealers I bought from via web but I don't think they ship internationally, and two more dealers where I bought in person.

Until now I made not a single bad buying experience. Strange as it may appear, the two replacements in my history were about guitars I had bought in person.

Oh well, since we're mentioning names after all, yep, the guitar is already in my shopping basket at Thomann as well!

Had spotted them there featuring two different maple top ratings. Interestingly, I was unable to find them at Music Store.

Guest Farnsbarns

Oh well, since we're mentioning names after all, yep, the guitar is already in my shopping basket at Thomann as well!

I'm thinking you're in the UK? If so have a look at Gak, they'll price match Thomann and they're just as big and reputable. GuitarGuitar also.

As one newbie to another, if you can afford the nicer guitar, go for it. I started playing about 14 months ago and bought a "starter" Fender Squier pack. It was a piece of crap. Wouldn't stay in tune and it just felt cheap. My first nice guitar was the Fender American Deluxe and what a difference. Then I gradually added all the guitars you see in my signature. I will never be a good player or be a rock star (ette) but I love the hobby. And starting with a good guitar makes you want to practice. Gibson makes good guitars and you'll find as you progress that you will want different guitars for different sounds.

Hi Cutter,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly, probably very few people are "natural born guitar players", secondly, every good guitar player that I've ever met considered themselves to be still learning, all at various stages of doing so, but I've met a few bad ones who believed they had nothing left to learn and finally, it's your money your hobby, you should do what makes you happy, in other words, go and buy it, but I would suggest taking someone more experienced than yourself along if you can, as not all Les Paul's are created equally some are better than others.

Good luck,

Ian

newbie here, only a few months into the world of guitar playing. I bought my first guitar back in March; it was a cheap Fender Squier, the idea being that I didn’t want to spend a fortune buying a really nice or expensive guitar when I didn’t know whether guitar playing would stick with me or it would be something that would get out of my system in a few days or months time.

I went the other way. My first guitar was a nice American made Strat deluxe. I didn't want to wonder if I was lousy because of a lousy guitar.

So, I knew the music was in there, I just had to get it out! [crying]

Now, my collection includes that Strat, a PRS McCarty, and a Les Paul. All beauties. Someday, I'll do them justice. :rolleyes:

I say this every time I see questions like this, the very best guitar for you is the one that feels the best in your hands, be it a LP custom or a $99 Sears Harmony...don't ever be a sap and buy a guitar for it's looks or name. I bought an Ibanez Steve Vai with the monkey grip and tree of life inlays on eBay...I soon learned I hated the neck, and it was sold soon after that. A super expensive guitar, one would think it would be an awesome guitar, and it probably is for someone elses hands, just not mine.

Archived